1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

I think so too!
    Do you know anything about the movement? When I googled it it said Valjoux7750 different places, but not sure if that was this exact watch.

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

+1 to this advice.

3. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Newcomer makes a good point. It does look like a valjoux which is a solid if not common chrono movement. If the rarity of the movement is something you desire then this wouldn't be for you. If you just want a dependable automatic chrono then it'll work great

In an ideal world i agree to save up for what you really want ie speedy pro. Otherwise you'll have 2 chronographs on straps. Albeit one will be white and one black. If you see yourself wearing both and you want to scratch that itch now then know you wouldn't be the first watch obsessed person to buy something now, to tide yourself for something bigger later on. If this watch makes you happy enough then go for it.

It's definitely no speedy though.

4. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

You just answered my last comment! Thanks!

Hmm, they certainly would have similarities, but this has a white/silver dial, whereas the speedy has a dark blue one. Depends on ones mood I guess!
    I certainly do agree though, the Speedy would probably be my go-to watch, but I think it´s a bit expensive. I have no problems with used, but I´m not sure where it´s safe to buy from. Currently being in Japan, I reckon most second hand stores dealing in jewelry and watches are safe, but I´m not comfortable with most internet stores as I´m pretty clueless when it comes to watches. (The exception is recommendations I guess) Want to buy this while I´m in Japan, as the yen is really low now, and I´m moving back to Norway within a month.

A new Speedy would take me back around 3000$, and frankly, I don´t have that much to spend. Used in Japan would probably be the equivalent of ebay.

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

First off, just an aside--the speedy's dial is black, kind of a dark grey though in certain lights.

Being in Japan certainly complicates matters. I have bought and sold plenty of watches through Timezone. What watch do you have right now? Do you have any?

And I completely understand not having the money to spend. And there is nothing wrong with buying a watch to tide you over. I think it might be a good idea though to buy two watches that fit different spots in your collection. For example, if you buy the B&M, and then the Speedy, you have two sporty but sorta dressy chronographs. It might be better to buy a three hander with date, or something of that ilk, and then the Speed while you can. Just my 2c.

Also, in re the applied moonphases--I think what is most important is having a moonphase that has some depth to it. The Patek certainly has 'depth,' as does the Lange. My MUT Moon's moonphase is a bit flat, but I do love it all the same :). Still, I prefer Lange's or Patek's, but then, that certainly goes with the territory!

For the sake of comparison...

[​IMG]

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I think $1200 for a Capeland Chrono is a solid deal. Nothing wrong with a 7750 movement at this pricepoint, IMO. If it were an $8k watch, I'd have a different opinion. (Aside - Valjoux 7750 = ETA 7750, as ETA swallowed Valjoux a looooong time ago.) As it happens, one of my buddies at the office has this exact BM and wears it on a medium brown croc - looks pretty darned nice.

The Speedy would be my preference, too, but it's more than double the price. Buy what you like within your budget.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  7. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

does this count as multiple complications?

[​IMG]

:lol:

... sorry I was searching for a Glashutte and came across this monstrosity....

1 person likes this.
  8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Egads! That makes me think of this beauty that Hamilton released recently.

[​IMG]

9. mimo

mimo Senior member

Oh stop it, the pair of you.

Now everybody, breeeeeaaaaaathe.....

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. Arctic81Fox

Arctic81Fox Member

Some lovely watches on here.

My latest addition: STOWA Marine Automatic with sterling silver dial

[​IMG]

Blued hands shot:
    [​IMG]

Deployant Clasp
    [​IMG]

Nice rear! NWS [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. Kid Nickels

^ how do you like it? I've actually been thinking of getting one of those in black with the Roman numerals.

that ALS is redonk... what is that like 100K? (probably more!) :happy:

12. mimo

mimo Senior member

More like double...but a quick aesthetic air-freshener for the bad smells that preceded it. :)

Congrats, Arctic. I like that.

1 person likes this.
  13. Arctic81Fox

Arctic81Fox Member

I absolutely love the Stowa Marine - these photos (iPhone 3 [​IMG]) don't do it justice at all I'm afraid.....understated, beautifully finished brushed steel case and I can't speak highly enough of their customer service.

Stock photo

[​IMG]

14. Kid Nickels

I don't think they are carried by shops here in the US. If you don't mind my asking, did you buy from a dealer or just order online?

15. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

You deal directly with Stowa or buy second hand.

16. Arctic81Fox

Arctic81Fox Member

They don't sell through dealers and their business model is now 100% online - orders through their website only I'm afraid.

http://www.stowa.de/lshop,shopstart,13314333412400,en,1331433341-2400,,,,,.htm

From wikipedia: "Since around 2001/02, STOWA has almost exclusively sold its watches directly to the customer, either through its website or from its factory in Engelsbrand. STOWA claims that this allows them to keep their distribution, wholesale, and retail costs down, thereby allowing their prices to be lower than if their watches were distributed through a traditional retail network."

Bit of a waiting list for their watches but usually <6 mths and well worth the wait [​IMG]

Their history is what attracted me to their watches in the first place - ......World War II broke out. Since combat aircraft had become such a powerful wartime tool, navigator’s watches were put into full production along with the other more direct weapons. The German government demanded five manufacturers to build competent B-uhr watches which were both anti magnetic and able to be chronometer certified. It is believed that A. Lange & Sohne, a principal supplier of the time, could not deliver the watches in time for the amounts needed. The German government therefore brought the raw movements and cases to other watchmakers for mounting and regulating. The five companies that were assigned to build the watches were A.Lange & Sohne, International Watch Company, Laco, Stowa and Wempe.

1 person likes this.
  17. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Continuing the Moon phase talk, I'm currently searching for one of these (Zenith El Primero from 83-85) for some reason I love that the moon has a face.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. Kid Nickels

cool.. thanks Arctic! enjoy the new piece.

19. Flake

Flake Senior member

Moonphase? Here's the wife's
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Stowa does make nice stuff, but you like them because of their Nazi history, not in spite of it!? ;)

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.