Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

IIRC, plating is a chemical process (particles in a bath with electrodes) vs. rolling a physical one (pressure) but I'm not 100% sure

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Another one is vermeil, which is gold over sterling silver.

3. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

No bonded gold is when a gold sheet is wrapped around a metal...how I said it is interchangable with gold filed.

4. Coho

Coho Senior member

Not sure, but from experience, the gold filled watches (mostly vintage the like of Hamilton, Elgin, Helbros and maybe Bulova) have uneven metal composition. You can polish it but one spot would look slightly yellow and one spot would look slightly pink, unlike solid 18K.

it's only gold plated on SS (poor man's watch). why is it bad to polish it if it's gold filled?

5. sartort

sartort Senior member

twpt debut. Sinn 556.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Came on a black strap, but I am experimenting with a Hadley Roma padded tan strap. Looking forward to adding the Sinn deployment down the road. To me this watch strikes the perfect dressy casual balance. The brushed metal and gloss dial dress up this modern flieger derived time piece.

6. bcate3

bcate3 Senior member

Love the combo, sartort. I've put a HR tan, non-contrasting stitched band on my black-dialed Seiko 5. Transforms that watch, too. I think I might like the dial of the 556 better than the 656. Nice watches and nice value, even with the recent price increases.

7. jimbo3971

jimbo3971 Member

8. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very badazz!!! Me likey!

I have recently come to realize that my vintage watch collection is highly deficient with the total absence of Longines. Must rectify.

9. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

Hey all, does ayone think I could pull off wearing this watch with a formal business suit? I'm thinking it might be limited to less formal wear. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180201849460
    dress watches are usually very simplistic, and smaller/thinner. this gigantic chronograph doesn't seem to fit that bill at all.
    Very badazz!!! Me likey! I have recently come to realize that my vintage watch collection is highly deficient with the total absence of Longines. Must rectify.
    thankee, sir; correct thy problem asap with some vintage "flagship" or "mystery dial" models!

10. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Hey all, does ayone think I could pull off wearing this watch with a formal business suit? I'm thinking it might be limited to less formal wear.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180201849460

You'll probably get differing opinions. Some will say that any nice watch is fine with a suit (make no mistake, that's a nice watch). I'm of the view that you're better off wearing that watch as what it is, which is a sport watch. I have an Omega Seamaster Chrono, which is the functional Omega equivalent to that watch and the most formal I am comfortable wearing it with is a sports coat or blazer. YMMV.

11. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

I'm sure these aren't everyone's likening, but I do like my Rolex's on NATO straps..

Before
    [​IMG]

SS Rolex GMT Master IIc
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SS Role GMT Master II
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

twpt debut. Sinn 556.

[​IMG]

Came on a black strap, but I am experimenting with a Hadley Roma padded tan strap. Looking forward to adding the Sinn deployment down the road. To me this watch strikes the perfect dressy casual balance. The brushed metal and gloss dial dress up this modern flieger derived time piece.

Shoes AND watches? My goodness sartort, SF cannot be good on your wallet. [​IMG]

On another note, you seem to have very skinny wrists, what is the diameter on that Sinn? I have very skinny wrists too so looking for watches that look ok on them are problematic

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Pursuant to the topic of watches, I feel alligator and crocodile straps are ubiquitous.

I like tan ostrich and also grey elephant, which are the two kinds of straps I wear with yellow gold watches. I also have a brown lizard, but I hardly wear that watch anymore.

14. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

15. jimbo3971

jimbo3971 Member

You'll probably get differing opinions. Some will say that any nice watch is fine with a suit (make no mistake, that's a nice watch). I'm of the view that you're better off wearing that watch as what it is, which is a sport watch. I have an Omega Seamaster Chrono, which is the functional Omega equivalent to that watch and the most formal I am comfortable wearing it with is a sports coat or blazer. YMMV.

Funny you should mention the Omega Seamaster Chrono, it's the competitor to the Brietlings in my "high end chrono" quest and still in the running. It's a bit cheaper too [​IMG] I plan to look around for another couple of months before I decide. Thanks for the help all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.