The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I guess it has always made me feel uncomfortable. Also, being a younger guy, I always feel like I am treated as a kid (which happens about 99% of the time), or I feel like I am being judged. But I digress. Because of this, I tend to only shop at a couple places.

Also, on a completely tangential note, I have recently become incredibly bothered by movements that do not fit the case of a watch. Of course, it matters less on a 3-hander, but I just finished this review...

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/girard-perregaux-1966-chronograph-42mm-watch-review/

And I have to say that I don't think that I would purchase the 42mm version of this watch. It makes me feel like the tachymetre is added on simply because otherwise the proportionality of the subdials would be askew. This hobby sure can be nuanced :satisfied:

***Note: this is mainly a watch-related preference. I would never buy clothing sight unseen (when I do not know fit / fabric / etc. ***

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

1. i know exactly what you mean, i have noticed a significant difference in how seriously i am treated in higher end stores as i have gotten a little older.

2. agreed. i feel much better when the movement size fits the watch size.

3. well, you know what the watch looks like. i buy clothing online if i am satisfied with pics and measurements, and i am confident enough it will be right.

3. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

I have very little information about this watch, other than I know it is genuine, serial numbers were confirmed by main patek office when I sent it in to be repaired through a Madrid retailer, they said this was the only one to have been made in this exact style other similar styles were made. This was my grandfather's watch (who is now dead) on my dad's side (who is now dead) so I was wondering if any of you could tell me a bit about these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Newcomer,

I was merely pointing out that beyond the case metal there are other factors resulting in the cost difference, such as the movement and work it takes to produce an ultra thin watch. I've tried it on and its impressively thin, but as mentioned, I just don't know how well it would stand up to day to day wear and tear. However, you may be right that the notion of ultra thins being delicate could be something we have as a preconceived notion due to how delicate the cases appear.

As I mentioned in my prior post, I think the Tank Solo is a better watch for day to day use. ETAs while not rare, are good solid workhorses that are durable and relatively easy to have serviced. When you said you would be graduating, I presumed that short of you being a trust fund baby, if you are going out into the work force you would need something that can be worn daily (even if its just in an office). In addition, in its price range there really is nothing new on the market the market that compares to it. Furthermore, you don't want to go on interviews with a gold watch that may cost a lot more than a that interviewer/managing partner's watch. It could send the wrong message about your salary expectations etc.

I agree whole heartedly about your belief the movement would have been more interesting in the Tank XL ultra thin if the movement had been square or rectangular...although I may be a bit biased [​IMG]since I have the prior model which used a rectangular Piaget movement as a base.

Congrats on your journey through law school...I made the same journey several years ago. Congrats again and wishing you lots of success in whatever area you choose to practice.
    Best regards,
    Dino

Below is a quick photo of the rectangular movement of the prior Tank XL from the Privee Collection.
    [​IMG]

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Thanks Dino! Your posts and insights are always appreciated. I think that the watch would be a great day-to-day workhorse, and that is definitely something that plays into my calculus!

Also, your Cartier is absolutely gorgeous! Your pictures of it earlier in this thread started my Cartier envy, as I had never really examined the Tank LC or some of the more reserved Tanks. Also, that square movement is something special. It really elevates the watch to another level. Square watches with round movements just seem a bit half-assed. Not enough to preclude me from owning one, but enough to make me think a little bit more. It still looks plenty thin as well, albeit not quite as thin as the new one I presume (not that that is a bad thing, a little thickness goes a long way aesthetically speaking). The rose gold is also very nice on the model. I think I would appear a bit self conscious wearing gold right now, although I would love a rose gold watch in the future! The tank, in particular, looks mighty handsome with those blue hands.

The guilloche pattern on yours is quite striking as well (it is guilloche eh? Not sure what that pattern is called offhand).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Stitch,

I'm sure you have met people that like buying things online. However, at least in my experience, even guys that don't like shopping for clothing, they enjoy the personal experience of buying a high end watch or very high end car from a fine watch store or exotic car dealership. Sure doing research online is great, we all do that. But honestly, I just can't see most of the collectors I know going to their computers to buy a $10,000+ watch. I often look online to see where to get the best deals on certain products, but those are not items that I consider the buying or the ownership to be an "experience." Its not as though I really care about the shopping or ownership experience of a particular USB flash drive.

As for getting invited to the events...don't count on it. They have your name and address but you are simply a number if they don't know who you are. Some of the really nice watch events where they brought multiple versions of tourbillons, perpetual calendar chronographs, and other great items, were limited to 50 people. Its because the store director contacted me our of the blue and asked if I would be interested in going that I was able to attend. Later I got an email confirming I was on the list, but also stating if for some reason I could not make it to let them know because they had people on a waiting list that also wanted to attend. Buying in person and making contacts has its advantages.

That's a beauty and something to be treasured. Very interesting lugs, for a Patek. The curved glass and somewhat tear drop shaped lugs (although inverted compared to VC's tear drops) really remind me of vintage Vacherons rather than Pateks. I'd suggest for more info search on the Patek website on Timezone or Puristspro. Also, maybe consider getting an archive extract from Patek (although, I'm not sure of its cost).

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

When you are younger, yes people at stores will treat you as a kid....but thats going to happen as a new granduate from law school. However, you have to get some thick skin. As a new/young attorney, you are going to be treated as a kid, often by older attorney's who think you should kiss their a$$es because they have been practicing longer than you. Get a thick skin, be polite, but don't take any shit just because you are younger than they are and eventually if you are smart and dilligent you will earn their respect.
    Thanks for the kind words about my posts and my watches. My first entry into shaped movements was a square VC with a JLC Reverso movement as a base. I agree a round movement stuffed into a square or rectangular watch seems like an easy compromise that IMHO cheapens the significance and purity of design...although its very common even among greats such as PP, AP, and VC.

Yes, the LC Tank XL that I own from the old Privee Collection is not an ultra thin, its thicker than the current Tank XL, but I like the feel and weight that it has. The new one lacks the saphire crystal back in an effort to remain as thin as possible (although, maybe also to conceal the new one's round movement). You are also correct the dials engraving on mine is guiolloche, the new one lacks the guiolloche dial and has a simple silver dial.

You will know when you are ready for a gold dress watch. I bought my first in 2002 when I was 31. I chose rose (rather than white ) as I wanted something in terms of color that looked different from my usual steel sports watches...but I wanted rose because it also seemed softer in color and less flashy than yellow gold, which also seemed a bit too 1980s to me.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing some Tank photos here once you graduate. Trust me, a Tank is very versatile and you willl get a lot of wear from it!

8. in stitches

hey buddy,

youd be surprised. i know of people that woud just call in their patek orders to their AD hoping they had them, and have it charged to their house account. this is the same, just factory direct. i know its odd, but some people just prefer it that way. they find it easier, and the size of the purchase is not important to them. not my bag, but to each their own.

admittedly i dont know a lot about those types of events, i was referring to the larger less exclusive ones. then again, the type of person who makes his purchases that way, may very well not be interested in these events either.

who knows, i just know some people like to purchase that way. :)

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

10. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

No need to feel guilty I bet they are delighted you did so well and pleased to pay what they offered. My wife and I were in the same situation and the success of our children is worth more to us than a little cash. I would say they made a good bet.

11. Singular

Singular Senior member

Some more watch candy from the Singular Straps tumblr;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. apropos

apropos Senior member

I must be one of the strange ones who prefers buying nice things online - even when I was just accompanying my father too often I found the "real experience" kitschy, sprinkled all too often with blatant attempts at ingratiation and ignorance.

If you're selling 4-figure wines or 5-figure watches and the fat kid with specs, zits and a bad crew cut accompanying his dad knows more about your product than you, you have failed at life.

Sigh, guess I am one of those unfortunate misanthropes.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012

13. evanrose

evanrose Senior member

A couple of goodies from recently:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The brown Rolex is obviously vintage (and great looking), the silver and gold are my new stainless datejust and a vintage gold datejust, and the Omega was presented to a friend's grandfather upon retirement from Southwestern Bell.

14. in stitches

@ singular - great pics, i especially like the breitling.

nothing wrong with proving me right. :)

wow

15. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.