The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dl20

dl20 Senior member

Has anyone any experience with Stowa watches, specifically the marine model, as I was thinking of picking up one as a relatively inexpensive dress watch (college students budget).

I have a MO that isn't half bad for the price. Doesn't get a ton of wrist time but it has its place in the rotation.

dl

2. whacked

whacked Senior member

[​IMG]

You know, as much as I like to make fun of your posts, that's a really nice collection. And I don't infer to just the straps. [​IMG]

Is that a Rolex Sub in the corner?

3. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

here's some vintage watch pr0n, dropped off by the mailman a mere 1/2 hr ago this morning. what do ya'll think about this for a dress watch? anything i can purchase to polish the case a bit? [​IMG] along with a new toy! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Very nice. Congrats - it's a good-looking Longines and definitely a great dress watch. Is it gold or gold-filled/plated? I would be very careful of polishing it if it is gf

5. stiles

stiles New Member

6. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Very nice - I like it.

7. stickonatree

it's only gold plated on SS (poor man's watch). why is it bad to polish it if it's gold filled?

8. gdl203

it's only gold plated on SS (poor man's watch). why is it bad to polish it if it's gold filled?

If you use an abrasive polishing cloth, you will risk removing parts of the gold layer

9. stickonatree

wouldn't gold-plated be more at risk, seeing as how if i use an abrasive polishing cloth, it might rub "through" to show the SS?

10. stamp0102

stamp0102 Senior member

gold-filled refers to the fact that it is filled with a material that is not gold. it is gold on the outside and filled on the inside with a different material. therefore, polishing a gold-filled piece, which is only gold plated, could result in removing the layer of gold. a solid gold piece would not be a problem to polish.

11. gdl203

stamp explained it well. gold filled is esssentially gold plated with a thicker layer of plating

So don't use abrasive polishing cloths (e.g. Cape Cod) but only the softer Selvyt-type jewelry cloths

12. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

gold-filled refers to the fact that it is filled with a material that is not gold. it is gold on the outside and filled on the inside with a different material. therefore, polishing a gold-filled piece, which is only gold plated, could result in removing the layer of gold. a solid gold piece would not be a problem to polish.

There are two major difference betweens "gold-filled" and "gold plated." As you say, filled pieces are gold on the outside of the sheet of metal (top and bottom), with a layer of something else (usually brass) sandwiched in-between. Thus, gold-filled pieces start out as some blank shape (sheet, tube, etc) which is a sandwich, which is then worked accordingly. Gold plating is done after the final shaping of the piece.

The practical difference is that filled pieces usually have much thicker layers of gold. I don't know if this is necessarily dictated by the manufacturing process, but that's how they (usually) come out. Cross used to offer the same pen in both gold fill and plate for this very reason.

13. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Today they call gold filling, "bonded gold".

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

There's also something called rolled gold, which is, I believe, a thin layer of gold literally rolled onto a base metal at great pressure.

15. stickonatree

ahh, i see, thanks for all the info! i always *mistakenly* thought gold-filled meant that it was, well - filled with gold. marketing ploy, perhaps?

so from what i'm getting, this is the hierarchy of amount of gold:

gold filled = gold "tube" encasing some non-precious metal
    bonded gold / rolled gold / gold plated = thin layer of gold chemically processed/pressure rolled around non-precious metal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.