1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Brief question Cylon:

I did not really recognize that you put such a large amount of thought into each watch. I guess my question is a "what came first, the chicken or the egg" one. When you bought the Speedy, was it the rugged Americanism that propelled you to get it, or is it through the benefit of hindsight that you realize what caused you to gravitate towards it?

I guess in response to your question, I just like the best of certain 'categories.' I am not saying that these categories make sense generally, but they make sense to me. As far as steel sports chronographs go, the Speedy is my favorite. Above the Daytona in my eyes. As far as I am concerned, the Speedy is the best in that category. Now lets turn to the JLC MUT Moon. I think this is the "best" in its category that I have delineated--a dress watch with a moonphase. That is what eventually steered me away from the GO PML. It was merely a placeholder in my eyes to a Lange 1 with moonphase.

That is one of the reasons I sold my Master Control. I loved it, but I wished it was a VC Patrimony. And if I got a VC Patrimony, the MC would have been sold.

Another example: I put AP RO, Nautilus, Daytona, Overseas, and the Ingy in a category.

This is one of the reasons I did not really care for the new Master Calendar. Is it beautiful? Yes. But I would always look at it and wish it was a Patek Annual Calendar.

And I definitely take this approach to many things in life.

My blue suede Alden penny loafers--I would not replace those with anything, there is no 'upgrade' in my eyes. On the other hand, if I was to buy some brown semi-brogues, I would be getting something from EG or G&G.

It is not the originality element that gets me, it is the staying power I guess.

2. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Slow clap for Cylon. NOT boring.

3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

awesome gif.

dino is the man, i truly feel better off for getting to read his posts in this thread. an expert and a mentch, through and through.

this is brilliant.

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

This has got to be one of the most honest, least boring posts in this thread. Love it. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on these milestones!

1 person likes this.
  5. mimo

mimo Senior member

Now now...enough happiness, mutual respect and all-round sensibility.

Let's go back to the subject of silly Daytonas for a minute. My local AD has just ordered this, apparently (image lifted from his Facebook page)...getting lots of adoring comments, but I'm guessing this is where Belligero might draw the line. Stitchy...hard to say.

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

Ah, this one is not for me. A personal thing, for sure, but I tend to shy away from diamonds anywhere in men's watches. That subtle little diamond at the bottom of newer Patek platinum pieces that looks like one of the pushers and that no one really sees unless they look for it? I can take that.

The diamond-encrusted crown guards for this piece seem a bit much for me.

I'm not averse to diamonds per se! I got the wife this one last December, for example:

[​IMG]

But not for any piece I wear. Just me.

7. mimo

mimo Senior member

That's the kind of thing you have to buy your wife when you've just spent $$$$$ on a sudden interest in Patek Philippe perpetual calendars. [​IMG]

I agree...all those diamonds are really for the ladies...and the one I linked to is just horrible. But that subtle little number on the platinum PP...yeah, I'm with you on that too.

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

Uhm. Yeah. Precisely. [​IMG]

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

Also, one of the kind folks at PuristSPro alerted me to the fact that Rolex has introduced a new steel Daytona this 2013! Here are pics of the white dial and black dial:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Link from PuristSPro here:

http://rolex.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-732/pi-5842708/ti-859533/s-0/

Same size, finishing and material, but the lugs and crown guards have been reworked! No, really! I mean, here's my old clunker of a 116520:

[​IMG]

There it is, that huge difference in the lugs and crown guards. Do you see it? Do you see it?

10. apropos

apropos Senior member

Haha! :facepalm:

Anyway, pricing on the new Calatrava? $32,000.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

11. mimo

mimo Senior member

Wow...subtle, but I like! White face on steel is still the pick of the bunch I think.

12. no frills

no frills Senior member

Actually, I read this for the 5227, unsure about source but it was posted on TRF: "J is $35,400 and R/G $37,300"

Now, the 5127 (no date, no hinged caseback) has already been priced at $29,000 but over $30K, close to $40K for a no-complication Calatrava?

[​IMG]

Well, okay, I guess there is that date and hinged caseback... [​IMG]

13. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

waitwut? you sure about that??? 32K for the most basic watch?!?!?!

agree. i had both and MUCH prefer the white dial.

14. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Very sorry to hear about that experience and the damage to the watch. I'd be cheesed as well. Unfortunately, that sounds about par for the course when dealing with Omega these days. Any independent watchmakers near you?

15. in stitches

do not like, lol.

white face steel daytona is win as always.

16. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Thanks guys! I guess I was a little hesitant sharing personal information and feared it was out of place, but I'm glad yall enjoyed it!

Newcomer,

When my wife got pregnant my thinking was along similar lines as the wedding (buy something nice to commemorate an event), but when we found out it was a boy, thinking evolved beyond simply commemorative into something I could actually give to him one day (i.e. for inheritance/posterity). I knew I wanted something a) different than a dress watch (already had a good one), and b) something masculine as it spoke to the notion of fatherhood as I've said, and c) history as this was for posterity! Now many watches can fit the bill (Rolex sub/GMT/explorer, AP RO for example all meet these criteria), but somewhere along the way I became quite pleased with the idea of having two "moon" watches, albeit ones with very different understandings of that term. This sort of internal consistency within my collection made me lean hard in the direction of the SMP. Add to this the deeper "identity" connection and I was sold. Honestly I cant even remember when it dawned on me that the Speedy Pro was the best symbol of good ol' USA in terms of horology because lets be honest I wouldnt have been happy with an RGM or a Hamilton, or even IWC [​IMG] to carry that load.

Without that symbolism, that poetry, I don't think I would have been able to pull the trigger. As Dino is fond of saying, its often the search rather than the purchase/ownership that is most enjoyable. I completely agree.

In short, I don't think the SMP screams 'murica, and it wasn't hindsight because I wouldn't have pulled the trigger until I was comfortable with my purchase.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  17. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Nice. I consider the 1969 moon landing mankind's greatest accomplishment to date.

18. in stitches

19. in stitches

regarding the conversation about metal hardness, i took this video today.

here is 22k gold, which is most comparable to platinum in metal purity. good luck doing this with plat.

:)

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

20. no frills

no frills Senior member

Well, stitchy, you forgot to mention that you may well be able to do that with platinum too because you are basically the Hulk.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.