1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

rnguy001 - great watch

depends on year and condition, can be found on ebay 4k on the low side, and up. but obviously there is no recourse for issues. i dont think they are terribly hard to find. if you are looking used, try ebay, watch forums classifieds, and non ADs that sell used rolex, most ADs do not, asfaik.

good luck!

2. Hayward

Hayward Distinguished Member

I've had good results with rolexforums classifieds and Vintage Rolex Market.

If you're patient you can get a 1675 head only for just under $4K. This would likely be with service dial and hands, which I personally prefer as they replicate the original matte dial but with glowing lumi nova instead of decayed tritium. Prices go up based on original parts and condition.

I'm looking casually for a piece like that myself. I recently kopd a 1680 in similar condition. You get the best of both worlds - classic looks and up to date functionality. IMHO head only is often the best deal as Rolex bracelets from before the current range aren't that great.

3. Kai

Kai Distinguished Member

I just bought a watch that has been somewhat of a "grail" watch for me.

It''s a Revue Thommen "Airspeed Altimeter" watch, made in the late 1990's. This watch is one of only two mechanical watches I know of that have an altimeter built into the watch. (The other one is the 1960's vintage Favre Leuba "Bivouac")

It has a hand winding Peseux 7001 movement, and a 30m water resistant titanium case.

These altimeter watches have interested me in part because of my interest in mountaineering. When I first began climbing mountains, Revue Thommen made the standard hand held altimeters used by mountaineers. These mechanical altimeters were fascinating with their jeweled movements and analog dials. These altimeter watches function on the same principles and serve the same function as the classic mountaineer's altimeter I remember fondly from my early climbing days.

I've been looking for either this watch or the Favre Leuba for quite some time now. There weren't many made or either model, and it's been difficult to find one in good condition. Finally, I found a new in box example of the Revue, and snapped it up.

I have not yet received it (It's coming from Europe) but I am pretty excited to finally add a mechanical altimeter watch to my collection. Will take some wrist shots and give my impressions on its functionality when it arrives.

[​IMG]

4. aleksandr

aleksandr Distinguished Member

Leather or nato? Discuss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Kai

Kai Distinguished Member

Leather.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

kai - congrats on the grail watch, very excited to see your pics when it arrives.

aleksandr - on that watch, my opinion would be nato.

7. Hampton

Hampton Distinguished Member

Personal taste of course. But if it was me i'd rather go with the submariner with green dial.

[​IMG]

8. dddrees

dddrees Distinguished Member

Nice, but I personally like the previous version more.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

9. Hampton

Hampton Distinguished Member

Yeah both look good, either way nicer then the ''pepsi rolex''

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

10. Singular

Singular Senior Member

It IS a 861.

11. dddrees

dddrees Distinguished Member

Just like anything else:

Horses of courses.

Your mileage may vary.

12. Kaplan

Kaplan Distinguished Member

Both looks good, but why choose, it comes with both? The choice is between the leather strap and the steel bracelet (which also comes with the fabric strap). Ideally I'd want all three :D

13. Shikar

Shikar Distinguished Member

Got this yesterday.

Regards.

[​IMG]

14. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

That makes sense. When you said pre-moon, I was thinking 321 movement. But I guess you were referring to the caseback, which is certainly correct terminology, too.

15. aleksandr

aleksandr Distinguished Member

Doh. You're right. I obviously fail at properly comprehending websites. Leather + nato it is then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.