1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

Speedmaster Ref 3513.30. Discontinued model. Silver dial.

[​IMG]

Desirable? Attractive? Versatile?

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

This beast of an in-house movement called the CH 29 535 PS Q (again, pic from Hodinkee)?

[​IMG]

Seems doubtful that this one could be faked given the level of detailing and finishing, right? But can't be too careful - I'd have it authenticated anyway if I was making that kind of purchase.

There are also funny (funny because they didn't happen to me) horror stories about collectors being sold a piece with no movement at all. Because the seller thought the collector would just stash that sucker in a safe. [​IMG]

Can't be too careful....

3. no frills

no frills Senior member

I love this piece. VC's signature Maltese cross woven as part of the bracelet links makes the look incredibly unique. I was choosing between this piece and the PP 5711/1A and ended up choosing the Nautilus (no regrets), but I suspect I would have loved this piece anyway had I gone this route.

4. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

Love the anthracite dial. One of my favorite auto panerais....and definitely the prettiest dial.
    Ive wanted that watch for a long time. really like the chrono version as well, but this one wins me over with my preference for a clean non cluttered dial.
    :fu: that movement is fucking gorgeous.

5. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Lovely watch Mike.

6. mimo

mimo Senior member

I laughed so loud when I read this, that the guy outside my door upgrading the fire alarm almost fell off his ladder. Thank you Stitchy*. :)

(but platinum or not, Day-Dates are kind of silly in the first place and baby blue is for girlzez)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  7. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Wrong, maybe. There was an article in recent iW or Watchtime warning about a rash of high-end fakes from China that are very hard to tell from the originals.

Buy the seller as is said on the watch forums.

8. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

OK - but if a watchmaker in China can create a working split-second chrono / perpetual calendar that works and has even close to the quality of finishing as that PP, it would still be a watch worth a crapload of money. So why not just put your own brand on it and sell a few of them at $100,000 instead of selling one fake for $350k? Once you establish your ability to create such a masterpiece, you can start overcharging for your less complicated watches as well. :confused:

9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

snobbige, herragge, stive - great watches and great pics. welcome welcome. :)

aside from the authenticity, i would want to know that the warranty and all that is valid, especially on a piece like that in case of service needs.

my pleasure. :cheers:

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:I wrote that tongue-in-cheek and very quickly recommended a thorough authentication. :)

11. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:I was waiting for your reaction to that one, mimo. And I believe Stitchy missed your comment in fine print. :D

12. in stitches

i assure you i did not miss anything. i just removed it because its wrong. :)

1 person likes this.
  13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Quote:
    Hi Roger, the Day-Date in white metal that was posted was Platinum, and that silver-ish blue dial which is called "Ice Blue" isn't available with any other case metal. Love the color of the dial on that BP, I just have never quite been able to fall in love with a BP.
    The white gold is cool and I like its heft, but I wish the blue was much darker.

Quote:
    Congrats from a fellow VC owner. I have 2 of their dress watches and I adore them. I did consider and look at the Overseas, a PP Nautilus, and some AP ROs. In the end, the RO won my heart, but they are each great watches. Enjoy it.and congrats.
    It only mattters if its desirable to you. It doesn't do much for me, but in the grand scheme of things I'm sure you can get one at a good price as they made many of those, and many collectors favor the manual wind Speedmaster Professional.

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Thanks Dino - I was prtty sure it was a precious metal, but couldn't recall which.

15. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

16. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I want to see more 'real life' pictures of it though. That is a pretty awesome Reverso, although I am not in love with the white side.

Question: I think I lost my moonphase pusher, is there anywhere I can buy more from? Preferably in bulk...

17. in stitches

ooooh that is nice.

HOW DID YOU LOSE THAT!!!! :(

i would try ebay for starters. buying from a dealer could take a while. i find they are notoriously uninterested in doing replacement parts in a timely fashion. unless they happent o have an extra on hand. but it might be costly. try the dealer that sold you the watch.

18. herragge

herragge Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. The bracelet is certainly one of the most unique parts of the watch. Best part is, because it isn't a Rolex, I don't get the added attention!! It also separates the enthusiasts as they will be the only ones commenting "nice watch."

Never seen a face like that in the OyPerp. Ice blue eh. Amazing.

Of the big 3 in this range, the Nautilus, Overseas and RO will certainly have their followers. I'm glad I went with my Overseas but love the others as well. Good choice with the PP5711 no frills.

Next watch has got to be a JLC. Love their Master Compressor as a sports watch and their Hometime watches are great watches. Incredible movements in them.

19. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I'm confused - there are three faces on that JLC - the one that says "Reverso" on blue, the one that says LeCouture on blue and has a small seconds, and then the guillouche with the 2nd time zone. I assumed the LeCouture / Small seconds and second time zone went together.. but I'm confused.

20. in stitches

the blue one with the small seconds that says "LeCouture" is a pic of the vintage model that this new one is taking its heritage from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.