• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Solid advice Vader, you have some material you recommend to study up on?
Well, it's easy to tell it's quality. look at the Machining on the band. money. but the weight and the movement? JFC!!!!!!!!!
To me, looks early to mid 80's. you can't fake quality. (unless LV, -the fakes are better)

That's a real nice watch. not sure of resale or insurance value. but it does make a nice Trophy.

edit; Bear nailed it. a good place to start.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it would only make sense that a gray market would only agree to quote replacement value at retail.
It would be a significant risk to quote on a commodity which fluctuates in value.
over quote? under quote? potentially have issues with dissatisfied customers or insurance companies. . .

it's much like the Car market. Insurance companies do not measure value in what something means to someone. only what it would cost to replace with a similar (not identical) item.
And they will be buying retail if your item is stolen,or lost.

That isn't quite accurate. I have obtained appraisals in the past for watches that had value's exceeding their MSRP. If a gray is listing a new steel GMT Master II Pepsi on its website for $18,750...what good is an appraisal going to do me if the watch is stolen and I have an appraisal saying it has an MSRP of $9,250? Sure a new steel GMT has an MSRP of $9,250, but if my watch is stolen tomorrow and I want it replaced this week, $9250 isn't going to cut it.. Remember, the cost I am paying to insure the watch is based on the value in my appraisal. So if I paid to insure it for $18,750 and the value falls to $11,000 and I continue paying insurance on $18,750 then I'm over paying on my insurance. The insurance company doesn't really care provided I've paid the premium.

The car market is different. In a daily driver, yes you pay insurance for a vehicle, based on its value taking depreciation into account. However, just as in the watch market, some cars are worth far more than their MSRP, one can get insurance at least on collectibles and some exotics for an agreed upon price. Someone can have higher mileage exotic car worth $50,000. Someone else, can have a low mileage version of the same vehicle worth $125,000. If you just get regular insurance for it, and it is totaled or stolen, you will probably be fighting for a long time with the insurance company trying to justify getting them to pay you more than the $50K of an average one. However, if you had it appraised for $125K and you payed for collector/exotic car insurance with an agreed upon price if the car is stolen or totaled you will get a check for $125K.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
You are right, and i agree. but it is not us deciding the values.
When some stubborn old ass man decided the snow banked street had enough space to accommodate my Celsior,(parked,waiting on a light) While he, in his late model Landcruiser could still make it through the turn? He drug that thing all along the side of my car. does the insurance company care that i just spent 3 months of shop time hours making this car straight as a Ruler? or that the custom paint can not be matched? and they would need to start again? no. they don't.

They don't see what it is. only what the numbers tell them. and that gentlemen, is how my LS400 became a Rat Rod.
-Insurance.

They take the simplest option. it saves money. and time.
so i would not expect them to value anything above an "equatable" item.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are right, and i agree. but it is not us deciding the values.

It isn't us deciding the values. It is up to us to get an appraisal from someone that knows the market, and which shows the insurance company what the item is worth. Then we pay the premium, for that higher market value and said item is insured at the current market value.

Sorry about what happened to your car. That sucks, but it isn't really the same thing. Custom work that you do on an older daily driver car under a normal insurance policy isn't going to result in you recouping anywhere near the time or money you put into it. If a car isn't appraised for what its value is above an average one of the same make, model and year, and it isn't under collector insurance policy...it is just going to result in them looking up the value of an average one from the same year and writing a check based on that.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
It isn't us deciding the values. It is up to us to get an appraisal from someone that knows the market, and which shows the insurance company what the item is worth. Then we pay the premium, for that higher market value and said item is insured at the current market value.

Sorry about what happened to your car. That sucks, but it isn't really the same thing. Custom work that you do on an older daily driver car under a normal insurance policy isn't going to result in you recouping anywhere near the time or money you put into it. If a car isn't appraised for what its value is above an average one of the same make, model and year, and it isn't under collector insurance policy...it is just going to result in them looking up the value of an average one from the same year and writing a check based on that.

You know, that old man robbed me. by feeling important. bright side? the Rat Rod version got the most looks. even from old people. the gnarliest car in town. even my Boss spoke out on my car. (that is a bad boy car)

Just mad it never got done right. triple Black Metalflake. like a slammed bowlling ball.

aside. the AD needs to protect themselves. against the market

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried this one on in a Chopard boutique in Las Vegas over the weekend. Sorely tempted, sorely tempted...

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually really like the chopard, I just can't accept the blatant RIP-off of someone's else's design.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually really like the chopard, I just can't accept the blatant RIP-off of someone's else's design.
Isn't a ripoff of their own design from some 30-odd years ago?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A new iteration of a previous rip off perhaps?
Chopard-Alpine-Eagle-41mm-Luxury-Sports-Watch-Collection-Review-6.jpg

Chopard Alpine Eagle from 2019 on the left, Chopard St Moritz from 1980 on the right. I suppose if you think that Karl-Friederich Scheufele ripped off Gerald Genta's 1971 Royal Oak design in 1980 when Chopard introduced the St Moritz, so be it. I still like the Alpine Eagle. I've never liked the Royal Oak.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again I love the watch...beautiful dial appeals to me. It does resemble the royal oak a great deal in my opinion but to each their own.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried this one on in a Chopard boutique in Las Vegas over the weekend. Sorely tempted, sorely tempted...
View attachment 1295980

I actually really like this watch, though it does seem a bit derivative. I dont know if that is fair, but thats the feeling it gives me, which I think is mostly what watches are all about for me. That dial on the other hand is just gorgeous and is really well executed in my estimation.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1295980

I like its bracelet and the textured dial but I find the hands and hour markers a bit "Heavy handed." The bezel has clearly evolved from this...

To This...where the curves have been cut off...

To a totally round bezel...

Yes, the original always had some some Royal Oak influence, but I was ok with that. It's not the first watch to have a lot of RO influence. I don't understand adding the quasi Nautilus ears to the case. I think I would have liked the Alpine Eagle more if they kept the previous bezel, didn't add the "Ears," but gave us the new textured dial.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like its bracelet and the textured dial but I find the hands and hour markers a bit "Heavy handed." The bezel has clearly evolved from this...

View attachment 1296414

To This...where the curves have been cut off...
View attachment 1296415

To a totally round bezel...

View attachment 1296416

Yes, the original always had some some Royal Oak influence, but I was ok with that. It's not the first watch to have a lot of RO influence. I don't understand adding the quasi Nautilus ears to the case. I think I would have liked the Alpine Eagle more if they kept the previous bezel, didn't add the "Ears," but gave us the new textured dial.

The newest bracelet gives me VC Overseas vibes, to complete the treble. Again, I dont know that its fair to give AP, PP, and VC the origin rights, but since they are the best known variants it is always likely that any competitor in this class will be compared to them. In isolation, I think I would really like this watch, but its hard to say for certain because of the contamination bias that I have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads