• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, I understand what you're saying, but not everyone cares about brand history. Personally, I would buy a half dozen different Montblanc watches before I considered a Nomos. The DNA of the company means less to me than the beauty and quality of the product.
What’s your issue with Nomos?

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, I understand what you're saying, but not everyone cares about brand history. Personally, I would buy a half dozen different Montblanc watches before I considered a Nomos. The DNA of the company means less to me than the beauty and quality of the product.

If you want beauty and heritage, there is only one option.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s your issue with Nomos?

No issue with the company...I respect what they're doing from a watchmaking standpoint. I just don't find their designs appealing. I really wanted to buy a Club, in fact...until I tried it on. I just don't bond with them.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all - im thinking of buying my first high end watch, i really like the montblanc Heritage Spirit Orbis Terrarum. I can pick one up for about £3k. is this a good deal or should i be steared to a better watch?
I think for anyone to give you an educated answer, we'd have to know a lot more about what you're looking for and your price range. There are "classic" options for different styles of watches and different price points, but I would encourage you to expound more on what you like/don't like. what you would wear it for/wear it with, and how much you are willing to spend.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I actually looked at the watch Rich Williams wanted and would suggest one of the following if he is looking for alternatives:
Hamilton Jazzmaster GMT Grey World
Fredrique Constant Worldtime
Christopher Ward C1 Grand Malvern Worldtimer

Of course the PP and Vacheron suggestions would fit the bill but I suspect are outside his budget. The forum standard Rolex/Nomos response, though fine their watches are, I find at odds with what he is looking at.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I actually looked at the watch Rich Williams wanted and would suggest one of the following if he is looking for alternatives:
Hamilton Jazzmaster GMT Grey World
Fredrique Constant Worldtime
Christopher Ward C1 Grand Malvern Worldtimer

Of course the PP and Vacheron suggestions would fit the bill but I suspect are outside his budget. The forum standard Rolex/Nomos response, though fine their watches are, I find at odds with what he is looking at.
This is a good post and I just looked up the suggestions, all of which at first glance are some decent looking watches.

But to the OP I would suggest that you re-examine exactly why you want a worldtimer. If you’re stuck on that style of watch, good luck to you in your search, but a word of caution from me...

As a frequent traveller, I took a liking to the IWC Portugese Yacht Club World Timer with the metallic grey dial. In some ways it’s two watches in one as along with the traditional movement is an inner rotating ring which makes one revolution every 24 hours and tells the time across all time zones along with your ‘home’ time.
The issues for me were -
1. The watch was HUGE both in circumference and height
2. At my vintage with gradually diminishing visual acuity it was very difficult to read the font size of the city-name time zones around the dial edge
3. Once the novelty faded I found I really didn’t care what time it was in Bangkok, Rio or wherever else. I travel a lot for work but only really need to know the time where I’m at and the time where I live. I don’t care what time it is anywhere else in the world.
4. Unless you wear it all day or enjoy resetting it you have to keep it on a winder to keep the time correct.

Result? I flipped it for a Heuer Autavia chronograph with a manual rotating 1 to 12 bezel which is easy to adjust as I move to different time zones and back, and easy to read the time in both places even with my declining vision! There are many other choices for watches with rotating 1-12 bezels although I’m not sure of your budget. I know @Andy57 has the SPECTRE version of the Omega Seamaster which has a similar set up.

YMMV of course but I urge you to consider the above before dropping a lot of dough on a watch with features you may never / rarely use. Good luck!

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a watch from a watch company, not a fountain pen company. 3k will get you a decent vintage piece.

I have a Montblanc Ultra Slim and I'm pretty impressed by it. Actually, I think they are putting out some pretty compelling pieces and it seems to be a bit lazy to write them off as a pen company.

stijn

Reaction score
Put the 116500 on a cordovan strap I had lying around to match with my carmina's, love how the strap changes the watch. Looks more toned down. Old strap from Bulang & Sons, single layer cordovan so it's like a second skin.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had always been enamored with world timers. I hated everything I had on wrist until I got my JLC geographic, which gives me the second time zone without an encumbered dial. The most recent iteration also gets rid of the date for purists. I like my date window.

Get a watch from a watch company, not a fountain pen company. 3k will get you a decent vintage piece.

The minerva pieces from Mont Blanc are wonderful.

No issue with the company...I respect what they're doing from a watchmaking standpoint. I just don't find their designs appealing. I really wanted to buy a Club, in fact...until I tried it on. I just don't bond with them.

I share your feelings on Nomos. Amazing watches, but the bauhaus designs do nothing for me. I kept wanting to like them but never could.

stijn

Reaction score
My thoughts about Mont Blanc, as you said @usctrojans31 the Minerva pieces are amazing. Truely amazing.
But the brand Mont Blanc as a watch brand isn't really convincing to me neither.

The issue I have is the fact that they offer pieces at low entry prices and pieces such like the Minerva ones. It feels as if they don't really know what they're heading for (at least to me).

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I suppose I am happy for the Frey family, but nothing good has really come out of the sale of Minerva. It was a special company when it was family owned and making relatively simple watches. Now, no real appeal to me, even if they turn out some cool stuff for Montblanc.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I suppose I am happy for the Frey family, but nothing good has really come out of the sale of Minerva. It was a special company when it was family owned and making relatively simple watches. Now, no real appeal to me, even if they turn out some cool stuff for Montblanc.
Here is an example of what was lost:
mminerva2kd91.jpg
mminerva2kb91.jpg
mminerva2ks91.jpg

mminerva2kf91.jpg

Simple, clean design. No mess

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I share your feelings on Nomos. Amazing watches, but the bauhaus designs do nothing for me. I kept wanting to like them but never could.
Same. They just leave me cold. They feel too austere and well, cold, to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads