• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadly doesn't capture the imagination like Ferrari. The closest to Ferrari in terms of image and romance is probably Aston Martin, which likely has more to do with James Bond than anything.
McLaren has the F1 racing heritage and modern supercar performance. In terms of road car heritage, then AM probably is the closest to Ferrari.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Yeah, that Searambler looks great! Probably my favorite dial in terms of the different colors they offer. And I think they're about to release another batch of these with a slightly modified bracelet.

"Then the Doxa guy shows up, orders a Mount Gay rum, and starts telling Dirk Pitt stories to anybody who will listen." :D

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just that one and two vintage IWCs. I think that I might be moving through the world in slo-mo because of how fast some of them run. Servicing is such a PITA since I live in a small town, and I can't just run them into a good repair store. Luckily, I've found a couple of people nearby who are very good, and some are also officially certified to service certain brands. However, every service is a few hundred to close to a grand for a vintage chronograph, even one is nearly mint condition, and I figure that if I service 4 watches all at once, that is close to just getting something else.

These are all #firstworldproblems, of course, but if I can avoid them, I do. There are at least a half dozen handwinders from the 60s and 70s (this seems to be my sweet spot right now), and one from the late 50s, that I find pretty amazing, and that will, just because of the passage of time, probably not come up for sale again. So I'm concentrated on those right now. Hopefully, I will be able to get my grubby hands on many, if not all of them, in the next few years. After that, we'll see.

Re. Vintage Rolexes - I do find a number of them really compelling, but given that they seem both rather expensive compared to their counterparts, and also rather ubiquitous, that feel little urgency in getting them.

I haven't owned any vintage IWCs, so I can't speak as to their accuracy or issues regarding servicing them. Not sure how old they are but I do know a fw guys who say that with older pieces from some brands, one can't count on having the same accuracy that one may have from a newer watch. My oldest watch is now 25 years old, and I've had no issues with it and no problems with in terms of accuracy and it is an automatic Rolex.

Wishing you luck with whatever you decide to add to your collection.

Sadly doesn't capture the imagination like Ferrari. The closest to Ferrari in terms of image and romance is probably Aston Martin, which likely has more to do with James Bond than anything.

With this and JLC's warranty extension, I have to assume that this will hit some (most? all?) additional Richemont brands too.

McLaren is a cool car, with racing heritage, and its modern sports cars certainly can compete with Ferrari, but I agree there is a something that never makes me feel like they are quite in the same category as Ferrari. Maybe its because McLaren was on race tracks but didn't offer an actual line of road cars for many years. I didn't grow up ever seeing any on the road or at car events. Aston competed with Ferrari on the track and in the showrooms and I could occasionally see both when growing up. Both also have a certain romance Ferrari with its stories of Enzo and Aston with their ties to 007.

Yes, since JLC and Cartier have extended their warranties, I hope we will see the same with other Richemont brands in the near future.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cartier warranty news. Cartier has a new program called Cartier Care. As of November 12, 2019, owners of watches that are still under the original 2 year warranty can register their watches for this program, which extends the warranty by an additional 6 years from the date of purchase (not to exceed 8 years from the date of purchase). All you need is the serial number to register. One does have to agree to get their email news, but here is the link for anyone who may have purchased a Cartier watch recently. https://www.cartier.com/en-us/services/cartier-care/extend-your-watch-warranty.html

That's quite impressive. Are luxury watch companies actually going to try taking care of their customers again as a business strategy, I wonder?

an draoi

Reaction score
In order to wound me, I'd have to first hold you in some regard. You're just a troll. There's a million of 'em out there.
You will note that I said you were "acting" wounded.

And no, not a troll. Just someone engaging in debate, as is common here. But if you choose to define a troll as anyone who doesn't subscribe to your world view, then that's your prerogative, I suppose. Just as you can choose to redefine bling in whichever way is necessary to help you to sleep easy knowing that you won't be mistaken for an arriviste or a Kardashian or one of those ghastly association footballers.

As we put the matter to bed, perhaps let's just reflect on how the Cambridge English Dictionary defines bling:

"jewellery or decoration that attracts attention because it is very noticeable and looks expensive".

I really like your Oris, by the way.

And finally, how about this for a fabulous - and fabulously sized - example of what we can surely all agree is definitely not bling:

MrT-Rolex-.jpg

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's quite impressive. Are luxury watch companies actually going to try taking care of their customers again as a business strategy, I wonder?

Well we can always hope that we are returning to an era when companies and their retailers appreciate their customers. Although, tbh I've always been treated very well by sales people at Cartier Boutiques and Cartier ADs.

Sadly, I was recently at a shop that sells JLC, IWC, Omega, Chopard, Piaget, VC and a few other brands. The son's owner was quite nice and seemed like a good guy. However, the female sales associate who was assisting me and my friend, seemed rather dramatic and phony. Then she talked in a rather condescending manner about some brands of watches and people who buy those brands. She let me know that if it wasn't in their shop it was inferior (perhaps the watch and the owners?). My friend told me his wife doesn't like that saleswoman, and I had to say neither did I.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many are we talking about?- and in case you are looking to wear me down, i have been a Tech on Ferrari's.
so, yes. a "Car Guy". substance over bling.
Would you say Ferrari is about bling? Statistically speaking, taking a random sample of the population. Is the bling factor what gets people excited about these cars specifically vs a Koenigsegg or aforementioned McLaren?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you say Ferrari is about bling? Statistically speaking, taking a random sample of the population. Is the bling factor what gets people excited about these cars specifically vs a Koenigsegg or aforementioned McLaren?

I think a lot of it is about brand recognition, and prestige. Feeling that you've made it because you can afford such a car, and also wanting to show other people that you've made it.

Of course, there's also the excitement of owning a high-performance car but, in reality, how many people actually drive their cars fast, or take them out on the track, or use them for their supposed purpose? A very small percentage of overall owners of such cars.

It's largely the same with watches. Of course, we use them to tell the time, which is what they are designed to do. However, they're also used as signals - to advertise our taste, our wealth, our membership of a particular group of "in the know" people who appreciate the red letters on the dial of a particular brand of watch and so on.

Yes, we do enjoy nerdy things about the watches - knowing that it has a column wheel, being able to hear it tick and so on - but I think that an awful lot of it comes down to signalling of one kind or another, whether we actually like to admit it to ourselves or not. Otherwise, why all the fuss over certain watch models rather than others?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All sports cars have a bling factor, especially in a world minivans and SUVs. I think vintage sports cars are more elegant and less blingy than some of their modern descendants. Still, they aren't for shy people as they do attract some attention. However, exotic cars also provide a driving experience that one generally doesn't get from a BMW, MB, Audis, Corvettes or Camaros.

Exotic cars are usually far less practical than BMWs, MBs, Audis etc. So unless the owner is retired and living in California or some other place, the cars are rarely driven on a daily basis. Most guys I know with exotics have a daily driver to commute to work in and that they can drive in snow and other bad weather. So perhaps there is less bling factor than say buying a BMW M series car or MB AMG car, or Camaro as the exotics probably are not seen on the road as often as those cars.

Lumaca

Reaction score
Love it or hate it, you just have to admire how Rolex always creates a discussion. Every watch discussion eventually will mention the crown.

As much as I love Rolex, I can't deny that they have an inherent bling-ness to them. A quick google search:

5827F6C3-9143-4E28-86E2-5DB2DD48D16A.jpeg

meanwhile the second most name dropped brand:

459415C1-4D80-481B-A28F-F9ECA77A22E3.jpeg

as a side note, 5th place is Vacheron which was surprising!

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of it is about brand recognition, and prestige. Feeling that you've made it because you can afford such a car, and also wanting to show other people that you've made it.

Of course, there's also the excitement of owning a high-performance car but, in reality, how many people actually drive their cars fast, or take them out on the track, or use them for their supposed purpose? A very small percentage of overall owners of such cars.

It's largely the same with watches. Of course, we use them to tell the time, which is what they are designed to do. However, they're also used as signals - to advertise our taste, our wealth, our membership of a particular group of "in the know" people who appreciate the red letters on the dial of a particular brand of watch and so on.

Yes, we do enjoy nerdy things about the watches - knowing that it has a column wheel, being able to hear it tick and so on - but I think that an awful lot of it comes down to signalling of one kind or another, whether we actually like to admit it to ourselves or not. Otherwise, why all the fuss over certain watch models rather than others?
I ask because I'm genuinely interested in points of view outside my bubble. I do not know many Ferrari drivers who are weekend racers (the last one I talked to did take medals in his F430, and that was years ago). Porsche drivers (again, those I know at least) are more likely to either actually track the thing, or wish they did.

To me Ferrari has always been about being a 10 year old with a wide smile on the face - inward facing happiness, just enjoying the moment. A huge number of the models are outright icons. I remember the shock of walking into a Testarossa casually parked near Geneva airport, I've always had a soft spot for the thing so forgot where I was going and had to open my calendar to figure it out!

I bet a modern stock inexpensive hatchback could easily take on Dino's Dino (which is one of the best preserved examples I've seen) on a track. It's not about the numbers. There is something intangible and special about what the brand is doing, at least in the (European?) public consciousness. But personally despite not giving a second look to the latest McLarens, Gallardos, etc. (even Teslas to be honest) I still stop by and take a good look at, say, 458s. If someone parked an F40 or F50 in my street, I would probably park myself in the cafe opposite for a good half hour to enjoy the sight (and noise, hopefully). I dare not hope for a Dino let alone any of the 250s...

Feel like the same is true of Rolex and Americans and those connected to the Empire culturally (e.g. if you did an MBA there, or work for an American or American-like corporation). You can't explain it with numbers.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sister, strangely, is a Ferrari lover - also has a F430; & 456 GT; & 599GTB. They do get track work.
and we constantly wonder where she came from.

her daily wear is some sort of Tissot.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ask because I'm genuinely interested in points of view outside my bubble. I do not know many Ferrari drivers who are weekend racers (the last one I talked to did take medals in his F430, and that was years ago). Porsche drivers (again, those I know at least) are more likely to either actually track the thing, or wish they did.

To me Ferrari has always been about being a 10 year old with a wide smile on the face - inward facing happiness, just enjoying the moment. A huge number of the models are outright icons. I remember the shock of walking into a Testarossa casually parked near Geneva airport, I've always had a soft spot for the thing so forgot where I was going and had to open my calendar to figure it out!

I bet a modern stock inexpensive hatchback could easily take on Dino's Dino (which is one of the best preserved examples I've seen) on a track. It's not about the numbers. There is something intangible and special about what the brand is doing, at least in the (European?) public consciousness. But personally despite not giving a second look to the latest McLarens, Gallardos, etc. (even Teslas to be honest) I still stop by and take a good look at, say, 458s. If someone parked an F40 or F50 in my street, I would probably park myself in the cafe opposite for a good half hour to enjoy the sight (and noise, hopefully). I dare not hope for a Dino let alone any of the 250s...

Feel like the same is true of Rolex and Americans and those connected to the Empire culturally (e.g. if you did an MBA there, or work for an American or American-like corporation). You can't explain it with numbers.

For me, my first 2 memories of seeing Ferraris as a boy, was seeing a black Daytona Coupe parked outside of a restaurant near the water in Newport, Rhode Island. I also recall being in Faneuil Hall (a tourist destination), in Boston, in the late 1970s and seeing a red 308GTB parked there, with a huge crowd surrounding it. Ferraris were made in much smaller numbers back then then they are today, and seeing one even in a major city like Boston was quite rare then (today you will easily see at least 1 or 2 Ferraris, Astons or Lamborghinis on any trip into Boston). Then at about 11 years old in the early 80s when we went to a BMW dealership (the manager who was wearing a steel Submariner) was backing a Dino 246GTS out of a parking space, and my mother convinced him to give me a ride. It was a magical experience watching him use that gated shifter, seeing the revs climb, and hearing that engine.

Yes, modern hot hatches can easily take on my 328 or any 30 year old Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Lotuses, or Porsches. Yes, you are correct driving any vintage sports car, is not really about numbers on a track or drag racing on the streets. Its the sound, the direct feel of the steering, the go cart like feeling as one drives it on a nice winding road, the lack of distractions (no color touch screens and no real use for a stereo which is largely drowned out by the engine), rowing through the iconic gated shifter...it is something that goes beyond what we expect in terms of numbers on modern cars. They are also not cars for daily driving, heavy steering, heavy clutch, difficult to park, etc..they are really high effort cars to drive. Still on a Sunday morning without much traffic, some nice winding roads, and going out to meet up with other car friends at a coffee shop or to go on a drive is wonderful.

I think the 488 is the first beautiful Ferrari since the 355s went out of production. In addition, while I respect their current offerings, I have little interest in modern sports cars with automatic transmissions. They can shift faster than I can, but for me something is lost in having the car that someone's grandmother can drive since the car does all the shifting for the driver.

My sister, strangely, is a Ferrari lover - also has a F430; & 456 GT; & 599GTB. They do get track work.
and we constantly wonder where she came from.

her daily wear is some sort of Tissot.

Yea, I know some Porsche and Ferrari owners who just are not watch people. I've even heard some who drive $200,000 + cars say they can't imagine spending $5K on a watch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads