• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really love the engineering behind the Skydweller and think it is Rolex's most interesting watch. As I wrote above, I think they made a design choice I don't really love - they designed it to look a lot like a classic Rolex sport watch which resulted in a cluttered, weird dial. I wish they would have instead designed its appearance more around its unique functions, which I think would have resulted in something a little cleaner looking. But maybe I will get used to it in time. I also don't have a great idea for HOW to do it better, just that somehow, it should be possible. Still, it is very cool. How do you find owning and using it?
To be honest, i have not worn it since picking it up about 2 months ago. My daily wearer is a Seadweller. I received a call from my AD way sooner than i had anticipated. I was after the Blue Dial and they indicated at least a 12 month wait.

an draoi

Reaction score
With respect, unless you have actual data, this argument is entirely speculative. Show me actual data, not opinion.

Well, I'm sorry, a stainless steel tool watch ain't bling. So I call bullshit on that and on your assertion regarding the "vast majority" of people. I'm aware of one person who thinks that.

You don't make your highly speculative point any more valid by insulting me.

So @Andy57, you demand data, but you'll happily refute someone else's assertion on the thin grounds that only one person within your circle of acquaintances is of the same opinion? And having thus "called bulllshit" on my statement, you act wounded at the relatively mild suggestion that your view of the world could be broader than it currently is?

Lol ok boomer.

I think you're just bristling at the suggestion that anyone would have the impertinence to describe of your fine and cherished possessions as "bling" or "blingy". Like I said, the modern GMT is not the most glaring example. As long as you don't rock it with your Balenciaga trainers and Yeezy sweatpants, I think you'll be ok.

Now we can move on.

an draoi

Reaction score
Then the Hublot chap arrived, ordered 3 shots of Jaeger, pulled his dick out, and shouted "spring break!!!"

I like this. We should write back stories for all watch brands.
Then the ALS fellow leaned over, poured himself a glass of Hublot's Cristal and spent the rest of the evening in a corner admiring the fineness of the bubbles.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking of aspirational Rolex ads

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Rolex advertisements are very aspirational - not unlike those for high prestige car companies - and the company associates itself exclusively with sports and pursuits that are perceived as sophisticated - motorsports (F-1, not Nascar), golf, tennis, yachting. You can watch many of them here: https://www.youtube.com/user/WorldOfRolex/featured

Vintage Rolex print ads are even more overtly aspirational (see examples below). I mean, there are layers of semiotic meaning here - Rolex is associated directly with excellence as well as achievement, but the core message is unmistakeable. If you are a person who has achieved something, you will wear a Rolex.

Some of the ads are nominally about the performance of the timepiece itself, like an ad about summitting the Matterhorn (lol - it's not that hard of a climb - not area is ever graded above "moderate" - but whatever), but I don't think that you need a COSC timepiece to time your presentation to the UN Assembly.

Not that other luxury watch companies have not tried the same type of marketing, but Rolex has been the most successful (check out their score on Forbes reputation scale if you want some evidence). Patek Phillipe went the patrician route, but as a personal symbol of achievement, it's Rolex.

View attachment 1279782

View attachment 1279783

View attachment 1279784

View attachment 1279785

View attachment 1279794

Thank you, for illustrating what i was trying to describe. you all have seen it. in different circles. Rapper sells his first record? -Buys a Rolex. he's made it.
Real estate agent sells his first big sale? - Buys a Rolex.

Many, Many watches do what they do. Better.
But for a person to feel that they have succeeded? many will Buy a Rolex to show it.
I see that as an insecurity issue.
- and to argue with me about it, will probably paint you as insecure.

If you were invited to the playboy mansion tomorrow, you’d wear a Rolex... :bigstar:
Nope, i'd be wearing a Casio. probably a Gold Databank.
or that funky one i mentioned yesterday. that looks like Starlord would wear it.

an draoi

Reaction score
There is though. a watch i am currently smitten with. It looks like something forged in another galaxy that fell to earth, and colored like burnt Titanium. Dark. but full of color. and all the Tech.
To me? Damn, this thing is unique. far removed from anything else.

It's a Casio Oceanus that i can't find on images. looks like something Starlord would get.
And at $2,500? It's a LOT of Casio.

Naw, it's different, maybe @LA Guy has seen it. future AF. but classic. OMG. want.
I am intrigued to know what this watch is. Is it this one?

bg3--sp.jpg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So @Andy57, you demand data, but you'll happily refute someone else's assertion on the thin grounds that only one person within your circle of acquaintances is of the same opinion? And having thus "called bulllshit" on my statement, you act wounded at the relatively mild suggestion that your view of the world could be broader than it currently is?

Lol ok boomer.

I think you're just bristling at the suggestion that anyone would have the impertinence to describe of your fine and cherished possessions as "bling" or "blingy". Like I said, the modern GMT is not the most glaring example. As long as you don't rock it with your Balenciaga trainers and Yeezy sweatpants, I think you'll be ok.

Now we can move on.
In order to wound me, I'd have to first hold you in some regard. You're just a troll. There's a million of 'em out there.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you were invited to the playboy mansion tomorrow, you’d wear a Rolex... :bigstar:
My wife probably wouldn't let me go, so I'd probably just be wearing lounge clothes. AKA beat up old performance shirts and retired gi pants.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Many, Many watches do what they do. Better.
But for a person to feel that they have succeeded? many will Buy a Rolex to show it.
I see that as an insecurity issue.
- and to argue with me about it, will probably paint you as insecure.

Nope, i'd be wearing a Casio. probably a Gold Databank.
or that funky one i mentioned yesterday. that looks like Starlord would wear it.
This is not true. I really can't think of many watches that do what Rolex does as well as Rolex does and none come to mind that do it better - at least when you are talking about a reliable, sport, long-lived, durable mechanical watch and some basic functionality. When you factor in Rolex's relatively clean and time-tested design, they really offer a great product. Omega is maybe a close second. You can certainly spend less for what Rolex offers in some cases - and that is a legitimate complaint - but you can't really do better (except every Rolex model can be improved by getting rid of the stupid day-counter and cyclops).
The brand image is a different thing.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed that the general population largely views SS Rolexes in the same way they view a Mercedes G wagon or a Range Rover. Yes, all three have a long history of utilitarian usage and their modern equivalents could absolutely still be used as such, the reality is that many (but not all) buy them as bling to show off. A SS Rolex is just a different kind of bling from a gold Day-Date with gemstones just like a G wagon is a different kind of bling from a Rolls Royce. Not to say you couldn't instead come off as some outdoorsy technical diver with a Sub or a rugged Paul Newman with a Daytona with the right look, but I've been around law/finance/sales long enough to see how most people wear them. Not that there's anything wrong with that, either, and there are a number of current models I like.

Yes, the general population looks at Rolex the same as G wagon or Range Rover. Perhaps one can't blame them, as much of the general population wears plastic watches that are a fraction of the price of offerings from Rolex, Omega, IWC etc....and anything in metal probably looks more expensive. I work in a law office and none of the guys care about nice watches or nice cars. They think anyone spending more than a few hundred dollars on a watch or if you buy something other than a Honda you are an idiot who is throwing away money on things one doesn't need. Everything else is just showing off regardless of brand.

Personally, I don't view steel watches as particularly blingy, unless they are say 44 mm or larger. To me, most people don't have the build to carry it off (and look like little kids trying on their dad's watch). Watches that are 44 MM or larger often don't fit easily under shirt sleeves and are often in plain view. I was in a restaurant and a waitress said to a guy, "Nice watch." Now she probably did it to be friendly and and compliments may result in better tips. I couldn't help but look over to see what type of watch it was. It was a nondescript, gold tone watch with a shiny finish. The watch was easily 44 mm or larger. He thanked her and started chatting her up about the watch. But really, nice watch or junky watch, how can people not notice someone wearing something the size of a dessert plate strapped to one's wrist? To me that is a form of bling regardless of price or brand.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex advertisements are very aspirational - not unlike those for high prestige car companies - and the company associates itself exclusively with sports and pursuits that are perceived as sophisticated - motorsports (F-1, not Nascar), golf, tennis, yachting. You can watch many of them here: https://www.youtube.com/user/WorldOfRolex/featured

Vintage Rolex print ads are even more overtly aspirational (see examples below). I mean, there are layers of semiotic meaning here - Rolex is associated directly with excellence as well as achievement, but the core message is unmistakeable. If you are a person who has achieved something, you will wear a Rolex.

Some of the ads are nominally about the performance of the timepiece itself, like an ad about summitting the Matterhorn (lol - it's not that hard of a climb - not area is ever graded above "moderate" - but whatever), but I don't think that you need a COSC timepiece to time your presentation to the UN Assembly.

Not that other luxury watch companies have not tried the same type of marketing, but Rolex has been the most successful (check out their score on Forbes reputation scale if you want some evidence). Patek Phillipe went the patrician route, but as a personal symbol of achievement, it's Rolex.

View attachment 1279782

View attachment 1279783

View attachment 1279784

View attachment 1279785

View attachment 1279794

I like their vintage ads. I always thought they were kind of interesting. I don't think there is anything wrong with being aspirational. We aren't all going to race yachts, drive formula 1 cars, or climb Mount Everest, but I'd like to think most of us strive to be the best we can be in whatever our chosen professions are and in our personal lives. Generally with achieving various levels of success, people tend to buy a bigger home (maybe in a nicer neighborhood), buy nicer clothing that fits them better and maybe expresses their personal taste, buy a car the enjoy driving rather than something that is just to get them from point A to point B. Those are all things people can and have lived without, but with certain achievements they do those things so if it also results in someone buying a Rolex, it doesn't bother me.

I also like this ad...which seems to have influenced a later Casio advertisement.

Casio's pilot ad.

And here is an advertisement showing their watch is water resistant, but that the wearer is playing golf, which is a leisurely sport often associated with wealthy people. So even far less expensive brands try to show their product as something people aspire to own or people who are successful choose to purchase.
Image result for casio advertisement 660 × 860
Vintage

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics