• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the majority of the population would consider Rolex as "bling", or fancy jewelry, owing largely to Rolex's own very successful marketing machine.
This statement, with no data behind it, is pure opinion. You have yours, I have mine. Neither qualifies as data.
You're right. Rolex, the most famous luxury brand in the world, definitely isnt a luxury brand. Got it.
I'm not very good at this logical fallacy stuff, but I think what you're doing is creating a straw man. I did not say that Rolex isn't a luxury brand. I am disagreeing with two points: one, that steel GMTs and steel Submariners are "bling"; and two, that "the majority of the population would consider such watches as bling".

On the first, that's just taste or opinion, and simply reflects that we have different working definitions of bling. The second one is also your opinion, but could qualify as a fact if you could produce data to support your assertion. Otherwise, it remains mere opinion. Stating it repeatedly or with increasing assertiveness does not alter that.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really love the engineering behind the Skydweller and think it is Rolex's most interesting watch. As I wrote above, I think they made a design choice I don't really love - they designed it to look a lot like a classic Rolex sport watch which resulted in a cluttered, weird dial. I wish they would have instead designed its appearance more around its unique functions, which I think would have resulted in something a little cleaner looking. But maybe I will get used to it in time. I also don't have a great idea for HOW to do it better, just that somehow, it should be possible. Still, it is very cool. How do you find owning and using it?
I have a Sky Dweller, with a white dial. I have found that it has become my primary watch when I travel. The ease of changing timezones (not unique to the Sky Dweller, admittedly) is most welcome and I find when I do need to reference the time "back home" it's also easy to do, more straightforward for me than with a GMT-style watch. My only complaint about my watch is that the white dial and white hands do make for a low-contrast set-up and so reading the time isn't always as easy as it might be with a blue or black dial. Other than that, it's an excellent and useful timepiece.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This statement, with no data behind it, is pure opinion. You have yours, I have mine. Neither qualifies as data.

I'm not very good at this logical fallacy stuff, but I think what you're doing is creating a straw man. I did not say that Rolex isn't a luxury brand. I am disagreeing with two points: one, that steel GMTs and steel Submariners are "bling"; and two, that "the majority of the population would consider such watches as bling".

On the first, that's just taste or opinion, and simply reflects that we have different working definitions of bling. The second one is also your opinion, but could qualify as a fact if you could produce data to support your assertion. Otherwise, it remains mere opinion. Stating it repeatedly or with increasing assertiveness does not alter that.

Fair enough. Shall we move on?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Sky Dweller, with a white dial. I have found that it has become my primary watch when I travel. The ease of changing timezones (not unique to the Sky Dweller, admittedly) is most welcome and I find when I do need to reference the time "back home" it's also easy to do, more straightforward for me than with a GMT-style watch. My only complaint about my watch is that the white dial and white hands do make for a low-contrast set-up and so reading the time isn't always as easy as it might be with a blue or black dial. Other than that, it's an excellent and useful timepiece.
I helped a friend of mine get a steel skydweller with a white dial when they first came out. My local AD did me a favor and got him one, but he has trouble reading the time and doesn't wear it often. He knows I'll kill him if he sells it, so he puts it on when I come visit.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With respect, unless you have actual data, this argument is entirely speculative. Show me actual data, not opinion.
1573788000209.png 1573788014834.png

:p

I think it is just too broad a brand to be able to understand its demographic(s) on the basis of personal experience.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without wanting to get drawn into the fight, there's no question that Rolex has become more deliberately "playful" in recent years, even with some of their most traditional models.

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 7.27.38 PM.png

Last edited:

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed that the general population largely views SS Rolexes in the same way they view a Mercedes G wagon or a Range Rover. Yes, all three have a long history of utilitarian usage and their modern equivalents could absolutely still be used as such, the reality is that many (but not all) buy them as bling to show off. A SS Rolex is just a different kind of bling from a gold Day-Date with gemstones just like a G wagon is a different kind of bling from a Rolls Royce. Not to say you couldn't instead come off as some outdoorsy technical diver with a Sub or a rugged Paul Newman with a Daytona with the right look, but I've been around law/finance/sales long enough to see how most people wear them. Not that there's anything wrong with that, either, and there are a number of current models I like.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed that the general population largely views SS Rolexes in the same way they view a Mercedes G wagon or a Range Rover. Yes, all three have a long history of utilitarian usage and their modern equivalents could absolutely still be used as such, the reality is that many (but not all) buy them as bling to show off. A SS Rolex is just a different kind of bling from a gold Day-Date with gemstones just like a G wagon is a different kind of bling from a Rolls Royce. Not to say you couldn't instead come off as some outdoorsy technical diver with a Sub or a rugged Paul Newman with a Daytona with the right look, but I've been around law/finance/sales long enough to see how most people wear them. Not that there's anything wrong with that, either, and there are a number of current models I like.

or hell a jeep wrangler! ha.

i really enjoy these analogies, maybe rolex is the 'lampo' of watches? solid as anything and smoother than most

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rolex advertisements are very aspirational - not unlike those for high prestige car companies - and the company associates itself exclusively with sports and pursuits that are perceived as sophisticated - motorsports (F-1, not Nascar), golf, tennis, yachting. You can watch many of them here: https://www.youtube.com/user/WorldOfRolex/featured

Vintage Rolex print ads are even more overtly aspirational (see examples below). I mean, there are layers of semiotic meaning here - Rolex is associated directly with excellence as well as achievement, but the core message is unmistakeable. If you are a person who has achieved something, you will wear a Rolex.

Some of the ads are nominally about the performance of the timepiece itself, like an ad about summitting the Matterhorn (lol - it's not that hard of a climb - not area is ever graded above "moderate" - but whatever), but I don't think that you need a COSC timepiece to time your presentation to the UN Assembly.

Not that other luxury watch companies have not tried the same type of marketing, but Rolex has been the most successful (check out their score on Forbes reputation scale if you want some evidence). Patek Phillipe went the patrician route, but as a personal symbol of achievement, it's Rolex.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you were invited to the playboy mansion tomorrow, you’d wear a Rolex... :bigstar:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads