• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

an draoi

Reaction score
A ceramic bezel is bling?
Not in or of itself. But it has a higher shine than the alumnium inserts or steel bezels, which adds to the overall glittery sparkly blinginess of certain modern iterations.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When my Uber/Grab drivers have worn Rolexes, as today's did, they have invariably been polite and pleasant individuals. I think the brand has an undeserved bad reputation.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I avoid Rolex too because it has a bad connotation in high finance. Especially when you're well under 30.

That being said I 100% just bought a Milgauss because g r e e n
Not a popular choice on here - the consensus seems to be to drool over Air Kings and Explorer 1s - but I like ‘em especially the blue-green version. I just don’t know where it would ‘fit in’ in my collection and so it probably would spend too much time in the drawer. If a bargain came my way though ...

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input on Pam 422 vs Speedy. I have thought about it over the last week and this evening decided on the Pam. I will eventually have a speedy on my collection at some point. I think why I didn’t get the speedy were-
- I already have 2 stainless steel classic watches (gmt master 2 ln & datejust ||)
- There was a possibility When wearing speedy I may think of it as a lesser watch (fit / finish ,water resistance , ruggedness) - to Rolex.
- I think somehow speedy failed to sing to me the way Pam did.

Speedy is the more iconic of the two and easy to flip if needs be ,holds better value & more brand recognition. But I ended up ignoring all & buying what I liked more. I rang all the ADs and bargained super hard and was able to get great discount. Anyway here it is -

Attachments

• 66518A1D-AB00-47F6-8745-130DE61AC30F.jpeg
    66518A1D-AB00-47F6-8745-130DE61AC30F.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 53
  • A5D5E3C7-EEFC-48B5-B006-0117F5E3E51F.jpeg
    A5D5E3C7-EEFC-48B5-B006-0117F5E3E51F.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 19C3D577-4781-40F5-B821-678FE47290A1.jpeg
    19C3D577-4781-40F5-B821-678FE47290A1.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 42

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks HUUUUUUGE!

When the lugs are wider than your wrist ...

Indeed. Which makes me wonder about the new 38mm Luminor. It would be the first PAM I could wear, but doesn't it defeat the purpose of being true to the design of the first proper dive watch, especially as it doesn't even have a proper depth rating?

an draoi

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input on Pam 422 vs Speedy. I have thought about it over the last week and this evening decided on the Pam. I will eventually have a speedy on my collection at some point. I think why I didn’t get the speedy were-
- I already have 2 stainless steel classic watches (gmt master 2 ln & datejust ||)
- There was a possibility When wearing speedy I may think of it as a lesser watch (fit / finish ,water resistance , ruggedness) - to Rolex.

Speedy is the more iconic of the two and easy to flip if needs be ,holds better value & more brand recognition. But I ended up ignoring all & buying what I liked more. I rang all the ADs and bargained super hard and was able to get great discount. Anyway here it is -

I have to say it looks a... tad... large on your wrist. Nonetheless, enjoy! Mine says oi keep the bloody noise down some of us are trying to get some sleep.
20180723_004939.jpg

That being said I 100% just bought a Milgauss because g r e e n

Talking of green watches (and watch sizes), I am finding myself drawn to this. The SA is concerned that an anorexic 42mm would be too small for me. Perhaps what she actually means is that if I were to wear a Panerai of this size, I would suddenly realise just how mahoosive the 47mm models are (possibly upon noticing how much less water was left on the floor at bathtime).

Panerai_Submersible_Verde_Militare_PAM01055_angle_1000.jpg

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You’ll chip a lot of walls and furniture with that. However, if you’re happy with the proportions, enjoy.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really happy you are in love with your new purchase. For me, that watch looks like a wall clock on your wrist, but if you're happy then wear it in good health!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Welcome to the club! If the 47mm matches your style and you like the aesthetic than you won't be disappointed. My 1312
20190323_165819.jpg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not in or of itself. But it has a higher shine than the alumnium inserts or steel bezels, which adds to the overall glittery sparkly blinginess of certain modern iterations.
If a GMT with a ceramic insert qualifies as "bling" then this is some strange new definition of the word with which I have been previously unfamiliar. ?‍♂️

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
That's a cute fairy tale! It was amusing to read your stereotyping that the Rolex guys would be wearing poly blend suits, and that you think by commenting on someone's Speedmaster it will lead you to these special friendships. However, the story is so far fetched about how terrible the Rolex guys would be vs how cool the Speedy guys would be, that I can't help but laugh. Again, it is essentially based on your viewing a watch as needing to be something for creating positive conversations or curiosity with strangers. So your dislike a Rolex, but appreciation for say a Speedmaster is that it helps give you an "In" with certain people. I guess I've never viewed a watch as something to purchase so that I could start friendships with random people at bars.

Also, I don't understand your statement ".. . but they put the pride in their watches. like they worked for that. suffered indignities for that. saved their bonuses for the first 4 years in the job for that." What does that have to do with Rolex or any other brand?

I can certainly understand someone not liking their designs, not liking how common they seem to be, or not liking that people who know know little about watches often buy a Rolex because they think its the best watch in the world. However, you seem to bash them with nothing other than they aren't going to "Create positive conversation and curiosity" or help one make friends.
Is it not the reason one buys such things? to show and tell? is that not what happens here?

Yes, many do suffer. from over work. living in sub humane spaces, having a poor diet,societal pressures. envy, aspiration.pride. it's a terribly unhealthy lifestyle. of the office worker. the "Salary man". a culture where the elders pay for drinks, and the noobs get humiliated at every turn.
I have had to intervene. on a few occasions. and scold the ************* "managers".

-It's not an "Amusing fairy tale" if it is true.

For a large portion of the watch market. Brands are stepping stones. that bring with them Societal context. Rank.

The more expensive the watch? the more they clown others. and praise themselves. or pay for the night out. to receive praise. (Buy loyalty) but as said jackass basks in his own glory? the faces around look glum. they look at their watches. Their Watches. The most trusted tool they have. some with pride, some with shame.

At the behest of the Bartender, and the few noobs who need a distraction. I sing. or chat. as the resident Circus bear. The guy who stopped in to chill. but has to be an entertainer.

You throw words around.and misuse my own in reply.

However. the good folk on here who own Rolex find themselves in perhaps very different circumstances. good for you. enjoy what you like.

I am only here in the corner. looking at watches as what they mean to people.

What am i wearing when said events occurred? A 4 Dial Seiko Flightmaster Chronograph. unseen outside the Japanese Military.

I urge you to understand. that i look at things as an Anthropologist. The guy who studies people. And my feelings on the social attributes of a Brand do not correlate with how i feel about their quality and/or workmanship.
I simply dislike how marketing can create such a scenario. when quality is all around.
=without the hang ups, or the dated designs.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads