• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Batman, but no pepsi? Kermit, but no Hulk? May I ask what led to these particular choices?

Interesting to see no AP except the 15202 and no Nautilus. Given your experience.

I actually like the Pepsi and the Batman and I’m on a waiting list for a modern Pepsi with a jubilee bracelet. About 18 years ago my wife wanted to get me a GMT function watch for our honeymoon, since we would be traveling. But she preferred the more understated look of its sibling with the brushed steel bezel, so she bought me a black dial 16570 Explorer 2.

As for my owning a Kermit but not a Hulk, I like the old 5 digit Sub, it’s maxi dial, and the old aluminum bezel insert. The green is a nice contrast to the black dial. I also like how the more interesting shades of green or red/blue of the old aluminum insert more than the ceramic ones. While I like the deep green dial of the Hulk, I really dislike the shade of green used for its bezel. It has such a deep beautiful shed of green for the dial and then a sort of lifeless medium green that to me is not attractive. I realize they are probably limited in terms of colors based on the material used, but it doesn’t work for me.

AP 15202 vs the Patek Nautilus, Both are great watches. When I was a teenager my dad owned both at the same time. However, I always liked the design of the Royal Oak far more. I love the octagonal bezel, and how movement was inserted through the front, with white gold hex bolts fastening the bezel onto the case to create a watertight seal. This was very forward thinking in the early 70’s. Genta did great work, but IMHO the RO was his best luxury sport watch.

The Nautilus is a nice watch, but its design always felt a bit forced to me. Genta had to provide Patek with a worthy competitor, but it’s largely the same concept with different styling cues. I like the bezel of the Royal Oak and hex fastening bolts more than the Nautilus bezel and “Ears” for fasteners. I also bought mine in 2012, with the idea of wearing it daily. The bracelet of the RO felt more robust, while the Nautilus bracelet felt too thin and light, and maybe not quite up to the task of daily wear.

in addition the movement used the the 15202 is very special. When developed it was the thinnest automatic movement (I believe it may still be). It’s the only movement ever to be used by AP, Patek, and VC. Whether one has the earliest or the newest Jumbo they all use this movement. It’s a movement that is labor intensive to make and is the only time only movement that AP builds in the same department that makes their high complications. Patek has used their own in-house movement with seconds function for many years, but I prefer the clean look of these watches with 2 hands.

As for not having other APs, I do like the RO chronograph, but I have other chronographs. My Pasha uses the same FPiguet 1185 that AP was using at a fraction of the cost. I’ve never been a fan of the Millenary line and AP offers very little in terms of dress watches today. I like some of their vintage dress watches a lot. However, I’m very OCD about condition and having boxes & papers, so that limits pieces I’d consider.

Anyway, hope that gives you some insight into my choices.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Dino944 Great collection. I especially like the older EXP 2 with the red hand.

Thanks! The old red hand Explorer 2 was Mrs. Dino’s choice for a wedding gift with a GMT function. She preferred the bushed steel bezel to the Pepsi bezel of the GMT Master. Cheers!

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My most recent pickup. Had IWC not cheaped out on the stamped dial it would be pretty close to perfect for a dress watch in my eyes. The lines are reminiscent of the Patek 96, the movement is JLC and I've always been a big fan of the old IWC script logo.
As is, it still offers a fun wearing experience if you get it at the right price.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The old red hand Explorer 2 was Mrs. Dino’s choice for a wedding gift with a GMT function. She preferred the bushed steel bezel to the Pepsi bezel of the GMT Master. Cheers!

A white dial16570 is on my list for an eventual purchase. Love that red hand with the smaller arrow.

an draoi

Reaction score
My most recent pickup. Had IWC not cheaped out on the stamped dial it would be pretty close to perfect for a dress watch in my eyes. The lines are reminiscent of the Patek 96, the movement is JLC and I've always been a big fan of the old IWC script logo.
As is, it still offers a fun wearing experience if you get it at the right price.

View attachment 1260275
What's the reference please? And the diameter?

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1260275

Great pick up. A wonderful addition to your tasteful collection.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something a little different.

This is a small Timex time-only mechanical watch, made in the UK probably sometime in the early- to mid-sixties. Why is it special? It is the first watch I ever owned. My parents gave it to me for my 7th birthday. I wore it for a few years until I guess I outgrew it and my Dad gave me a time-only Lanco watch (which I still have). I had not seen this watch for more than 50 years and we found it among my Dad's most personal effects after he passed away last week. I had no idea that he had kept it all these years. Priceless doesn't begin to cover it.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1260547

This is a small Timex time-only mechanical watch, made in the UK probably sometime in the early- to mid-sixties. Why is it special? It is the first watch I ever owned. My parents gave it to me for my 7th birthday. I wore it for a few years until I guess I outgrew it and my Dad gave me a time-only Lanco watch (which I still have). I had not seen this watch for more than 50 years and we found it among my Dad's most personal effects after he passed away last week. I had no idea that he had kept it all these years. Priceless doesn't begin to cover it.

Wow, that is wonderful that your Dad saved the first watch that you owned. Always interesting to see or hear about the things we forgot about long ago that our parents cherish and save. It must have been a really nice surprise to see it again after all these years. So sorry for your loss, but I hope good memories will help you through this difficult time.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1260547

My condolences on your loss. I'm glad you found something to cheer you.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1260547

Cool Story Bro! (Seriously!)
Sorry to learn about your Dad but a nice PS to the story eh?
And it’s not too different from me - my first watch I think I also got for my seventh birthday. Who knew it would be the root of a mild obsession several decades later. I don’t have the box but seeing your pic reminded me I’m pretty sure mine came in the exact same box:

Attachments

• ED32A507-836C-4CA2-89EC-7BD433BED28D.jpeg
    ED32A507-836C-4CA2-89EC-7BD433BED28D.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 57

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it is the 3531 at 35mm. Here is a classic from Walt Odets: https://www.timezone.com/2002/09/24/the-iwc-portugeiser-automatic-ref-3531/
Exactly right. I found mine, full box and papers, for a screaming deal and decided to pick it up. It wears beautifully and larger than its stated 35mm sizing, more like a 36-37mm as people often say. I love the concave bezel and overall case profile, both of which seem very mid-century Patek, the JLC movement is nicely decorated and of commensurate quality, and the wearing experience is great with how slim it is.

But the stamped dial irks me.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yoda_in_oxfords

Reaction score

View attachment 1260547

Sorry to hear of the loss of your dad, my condolences. The fact the watch was found with your dad's very personal belongings shows it held fond memories for him. Adds a lot of meaning to having found it again after all these years. Thanks for sharing!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads