• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very sharp! What year/model?
Not sure of the year, mid 90s. It was the Tissot Janeiro Z199 Limited Edition of 3,333 pieces based on some archive model from the 30s. For as many as there are out there, they come up surprisingly infrequently and they've skyrocketed in price over the past 4 years. 3x what they used to be available for but that's the way of the world.

I love the gilt printing on the faded black dial and the total illegibility of it, regardless of how impractical it is.

RE: The explorer discussion. I used to own the 36mm Railmaster and quite liked it too. If explorere I'd go 36 but I do think its lost a bit of charm with the applied numerals. I'd probably opt for an OP or smooth bezel DJ for my money.

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks. So I take it the Omega co-axial movement doesn't impress you?
Nah, it's fine; it's just that I wouldn't pay Rolex money for one, which is pretty much what Omega is charging these days.

And while I don't have the hands-on expertise that watchmakers do, I have some friends in that profession, and it's something I've discussed with them.

Their thoughts on modern Omega were consistent with this watchmaker's assessment:

So, what do I make of it?

I love the look of it, the decoration, the jeweling, the silicon balance and hairspring, the accuracy (once it’s serviced again), the two barrels and the power reserve (even though I’m not quite sure what I need that for).

I don’t like the slow and cheap date change, the fact that I had already dirt under the barrel and that the movement needed a service after 1.5 years, and the height of the movement. It’s made for chunky watches, but it would have been nice to see this in a more elegant (and less high) case.

The construction is very ETA, and ETA will of course have played a huge part in developing this movement, as it’s a long time since Omega had an in-house movement.

Now what I find funny is that, before he started learning and working with them himself, my local watchmaker believed certain self-appointed internet experts about how Rolex isn't anything special.

He completely changed his opinion once he started experiencing just how brilliant Rolex's design and execution actually is. What really stuck with me was his insight about how it's more difficult to simplify than to complicate in watchmaking, and how Rolex has mastered the art of making one clever part perform the function of two or more better than any other maker.

But for me, the most convincing evidence was at his wedding. Six WOSTEP-certified watchmakers were in attendance; five were wearing Rolex, and the other was wearing his school watch while saving up to buy one. :)

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in my 30s. My qualm with Rolex is just that it's arguably the most recognisable watch brand out there, and a lot of people buy it because of that name recognition factor. Maybe I just shouldn't care if I like it. But then I like the Railmaster just as much, it's less commonly seen, costs the same, and my dad also always used to wear Omegas, so.

Re the Galbee, I was thinking about the old midsize (I hate the new models with the extended, curved screw-down bezel):

View attachment 1243347

Also, scandalously, I was contemplating a quartz movement, for the convenience. After all Cartier is all about cases and design, and these old automatics just have an ETA, I think. I have just two reservations about the Galbee: it's probably too recognisable as a luxury item, and it wouldn't work on a nato. I do like the origin story of the Santos though -- the first proper mens wristwatch, a tool watch before there were proper tool watches, etc. At the moment it's between this and the 36-38mm Railmaster, with the Explorer 1 maybe still in the running.

Thank you for sharing your thought process as you are considering various watch options. I owned an Explorer 114270 (the last of the 36mm Explorers), and I currently own a new Santos (the one you don't like...I initially didn't like the new bezel but now I really do...but that's a story for another time), and I almost bought an old style Santos Galbee XL about 10 years ago. The Explorer is definitely far more understated and less noticeable than the Santos (new or old). Cartier isn't that popular here on the forum, however, in terms of popularity with respect to the general public (especially women), its probably only slightly less recognized than Rolex. There were lots of cool watches released in the 1970s, the AP Royal Oak, the Patek Nautilus, the IWC Jumbo SL, etc., and the Santos. With the Royal Oak and Nautilus being some of the most sought after watches today, it is easy to forget they were largely unloved and unsuccessful when they were released, while the Santos was in instant sales success. Hence it is a design that is recognized in lots of circles and probably the wrong piece if you are trying to fly under the radar. I really like the Santos bracelet. However, the screws on links are a signature design feature, and as a whole it doesn't look as understated as the brushed links of the oyster bracelet, which just kind of blend into the background of whatever you may be wearing.

I didn't buy the Galbee XL 10 years ago, because I just couldn't quite fall in love with the idea of the ETA movement.. Nothing wrong with the movement, its a good workhorse, but nothing special. My wife has a large Tank Francaise with an ETA movement and it has been her daily wearer for about 16+ years. It actually wasn't that expensive to service either, several years ago Cartier did a complete service on it for about $450, when it was about $600 to service an Explorer II (16570) at Rolex.

In the 10 years that I owned an Explorer, I never had a single person comment on it. While with my GMT Master or Submariner, I've had people say,"Nice Sub" even when I'm wearing a GMT so the big rotating bezel is a very identifiable feature that gets those watches noticed. In addition, as another Explorer wearer here noted, one sees lots of Subs and GMTs in NY, but Explorers not as often and they tend to fly under the radar.

I can understand liking the idea of a Railmaster, because your Dad wore Omegas.However, don't you already have an Omega of some sort? So perhaps the Explorer would add some brand diversity to your collection.

I did own an Omega Seamaster many years ago. Nice enough watch, but for me it always felt like a Rolex substitute. From about the 70's through the 90's (with the exception of the Speedy Pro) Omega used to change designs on their Seamasters and other Speedmasters so frequently, that everything they made for a while seemed dated, rather than becoming an evolution of a classic. I also found it seemed they were always following in the footsteps of Rolex...Rolex releases a Green bezel Sub, so they release an orange bezel Planet Ocean. Rolex releases a revised Milguass with orange lightning bolt seconds hand, Omega eventually releases and antimagnetic watch with a yellow seconds hand. So in a way, I was always reminded of this seen in the film "Coming to America."

I think Omega has gotten better about letting their designs evolve, rather than throwing away designs, and starting over every few years. I like the current Seasmaster, but the only watch from Omega that truly interests me is the Speedy Pro.

In the end the Railmaster is a fine watch, but I like the Explorer better. I would simply say, try everything on before making a decision. You can look at lots of photos online but there is no substitute for trying a watch on and seeing how it looks and feels on your wrist. Good luck with your decision.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to get a "modern" Railmaster, the '57 re-edition is the one to get. Grey market prices are good even in the current market if you look around long enough. That said I'd get a 36mm Explorer I. I'm sure some will disagree when I say I don't even think it's a better watch, but you can get it for about the same price. 39mm Explorer I is a tough one for me. Mark I 3, 6 and 9 markers are my preference, but I can't unsee the shorter hand set. In fact I'd be tempted to send it in for service and see if they'd put the Mark II two hands on one. That said I don't see an Explorer I of any kind in my near future as i have a list I'm sticking too and my Geophysic 1958 is my "explorer" type watch.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was hopping around online and noticed that Biver had a rainbow Daytona. Very interesting.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been on subways and walked through various parts Boston, Chicago, NYC, DC and worn a variety of Rolex watches over the years, never once had anyone comment or notice. Its not like you are considering a yellow gold Day-Date. Good luck with your decision.
And yet...

I rode the San Francisco Muni from Market Street to the new Chase Center a few days ago. I've never ridden Muni before, ever. My GMT-Master was almost entirely hidden underneath my cuff. A guy got on the trolley with what looked like a small PA and I took him to be a street musician, perhaps. He sat a couple of seat rows away from me. Anyway, he kept staring at me and eventually we made eye contact and he said "GMT?" I nodded and he gave me a thumbs-up. A few minutes later, as I was getting off at the Chase Center he called out "I have a Sub". So, I guess, you never know...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And yet...

I rode the San Francisco Muni from Market Street to the new Chase Center a few days ago. I've never ridden Muni before, ever. My GMT-Master was almost entirely hidden underneath my cuff. A guy got on the trolley with what looked like a small PA and I took him to be a street musician, perhaps. He sat a couple of seat rows away from me. Anyway, he kept staring at me and eventually we made eye contact and he said "GMT?" I nodded and he gave me a thumbs-up. A few minutes later, as I was getting off at the Chase Center he called out "I have a Sub". So, I guess, you never know...

Yes, I suppose it can happen. However, guy you mentioned told you he owns a Sub and having noticed and commented on your GMT, he is probably a watch guy. The general public aren't really watch people and don't pay much attention to watches. Still an entertaining story, so thanks for sharing.

an draoi

Reaction score
And yet...

What a sad tale. There he was, one Ro-bro reaching out to make a connection with another, and yet you just left him hanging. If only you had looked back as the bus drove away, you might have seen him pressing his bare nipple against the glass of the rear window, mouthing the words "five digit reference".

Although now that I think about it, he sounds a bit menkle and you were probably well off out of it.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3.5 years in the making from the time I put down my deposit until it put it on my wrist. MKII lead times can be excruciatingly slow, well beyond the point of frustration, but I'm happy I stuck it out. This arrived on Monday and I'm more than happy with the end result. The more I look at it, the less peeved I become about the amount of time it took. I still need to go get the bracelet sized but until then, it's pretty comfortable and sharp looking on the NATO.

MKII Project 300
71145228_10103542577483506_8097983939789979648_n.jpg

71392370_10103542577668136_4597939241157132288_n.jpg

70880738_10103542579803856_7447826943166119936_n.jpg

70763944_10103542579639186_6129098118723010560_n.jpg

71146593_10103542579763936_8875896035713482752_n.jpg

an draoi

Reaction score
3.5 years in the making from the time I put down my deposit until it put it on my wrist. MKII lead times can be excruciatingly slow, well beyond the point of frustration, but I'm happy I stuck it out. This arrived on Monday and I'm more than happy with the end result. The more I look at it, the less peeved I become about the amount of time it took. I still need to go get the bracelet sized but until then, it's pretty comfortable and sharp looking on the NATO.

MKII Project 300
71145228_10103542577483506_8097983939789979648_n.jpg

71392370_10103542577668136_4597939241157132288_n.jpg

70880738_10103542579803856_7447826943166119936_n.jpg

70763944_10103542579639186_6129098118723010560_n.jpg

71146593_10103542579763936_8875896035713482752_n.jpg
Didn't know anything about this brand before. It's an interesting story and a handsome looking watch. Congrats.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't know anything about this brand before. It's an interesting story and a handsome looking watch. Congrats.

It's a nice-looking watch, but that's because it's a direct copy of the classic Omega Seamaster 300 "Big triangle" ref. 165.024.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads