• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll just mention that the simple and perfect 16200 is a very nice alternative to the Explorer: :)

E51A4A439DA2E4F163C5D506F87479B5.jpg

D08D42A419CE94E97425E4EAF7F01AE2.jpg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with either the Black Bay 58 or the 60th Anniversary Speedmaster? Been pondering those since my wife surprisingly blurted out that I "could get a watch next year" among witnesses. I have 6.25" wrists, so I'm not in love with many modern sports watches out there. The FOIS Speedy is ok (and much less expensive), but the sapphire and sub registers kinda bug me.

I'm a bit late to this party, but as the owner of both a 36 mm Explorer and a Speedy pro, I thought I would chime in. The Explorer is an understated gem. No one notices its a Rolex, its incredibly well designed and classic in its look, and they are relatively affordable.

Second, the Speedy Pro wears much smaller than the listed 42 mm, so I would spend some time with it in person if you havent yet. If you still think its too big, get a Speedy Reduced. You get the same look, and automatic movement and the smaller size, for a FRACTION of the price. I have actually seen them go for under $1,500 pre-owned in like new condition, I saw one in person for the first time a few months ago and totally changed my tune on them. I think the smaller size looks really cool.

Good luck with your search/ purchase.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh well in that case take a few MMA courses and get a license to carry a concealed weapon.
Better yet, act crazy or high. And get dirty, quickly. If there is a dumpster, jump in. While all this less dignified, it's more effective. No one wants to mess with a crazy, dumpster diving hobo, nice watch or not.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll just mention that the simple and perfect 16200 is a very nice alternative to the Explorer: :)

E51A4A439DA2E4F163C5D506F87479B5.jpg

D08D42A419CE94E97425E4EAF7F01AE2.jpg
Honestly, for that look, and for a whole lot less, I would get an Airking (34mm) Date. It's more unusual, and I've seen a number of those in very good condition. somr with pretty nice linen dials floating around the usual places (www.ebay.com, www.chrono24.com) from credible vendors (stores with online outposts).

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah — AKs are cool, too. :cheers:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wholesale prices for retailers are between 50-65% of MSRP. For gross margin for the manufacturers, you’d probably need to go read the Richemont annual report. They probably have some segment reporting for the watch division but it might be skewed since they also operate their own boutiques.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit late to this party, but as the owner of both a 36 mm Explorer and a Speedy pro, I thought I would chime in. The Explorer is an understated gem. No one notices its a Rolex, its incredibly well designed and classic in its look, and they are relatively affordable.

Second, the Speedy Pro wears much smaller than the listed 42 mm, so I would spend some time with it in person if you havent yet. If you still think its too big, get a Speedy Reduced. You get the same look, and automatic movement and the smaller size, for a FRACTION of the price. I have actually seen them go for under $1,500 pre-owned in like new condition, I saw one in person for the first time a few months ago and totally changed my tune on them. I think the smaller size looks really cool.

Good luck with your search/ purchase.

I wish I could say I like the Reduced, and I've never seen one in person, but the dial layout kinda bothers me. I've tried on many a regular speedy pro, though, and the closest thing so far was the FOIS. I'll def have to reserve judgment till I can see one up close, though. I will say the idea of an Explorer is growing on me, but I have to sit and digest it all for a while to see if it can compare to my feelings on a diver or chrono. If I could go back in time, I might have chosen the 36 Explorer instead of my JLC for the versatility of it, but I don't feel that strongly about it and it was my "wedding watch," so not easy to convince the other half to flip it.

Better yet, act crazy or high. And get dirty, quickly. If there is a dumpster, jump in. While all this less dignified, it's more effective. No one wants to mess with a crazy, dumpster diving hobo, nice watch or not.

If there's one thing I can do, it's get dirty quickly. Yesterday getting off at my station there was an impressive pile of human turd on the crossover bridge.

I've found also that taking a few seconds every couple minutes to let out a random bloodcurdling scream tends to give you that part of the sidewalk to yourself.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think is more understated?

- Explorer 1 36mm.

- Galbee midsize steel.

Purpose: everyday watch for a fairly casual overall look.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think is more understated?

- Explorer 1 36mm.

- Galbee midsize steel.

Purpose: everyday watch for a fairly casual overall look.
Explorer 1 by a longshot. I love the Galbee, but it's an eyecatcher for sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics