• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We need more pictures!

The top watch is the most complicated watch I own, a Longines Master Collection Triple-Date Moonphase Chrono. Also the longest-named watch I own! I don't wear it often, but I enjoy it when I do. The bottom watch is, of course, a Rolex GMT Master, from 1984.

View attachment 1238923

Since you mentioned we need more pictures, here are 2 reasons I love watches with blue dials.
CA503ED3-ADD9-45A5-9C7B-3AAA2529919B.jpeg
73176A32-F1FF-40C0-9052-5D24DF9E3016.jpeg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Asking the experts here... coworker's watch that he got from his dad who has since passed. Says it's from the 70's. Can you guys help identify?
View attachment 1240406 View attachment 1240407
I'm not sure what is up with the back there, but that is an Omega Megasonic 750Mhz, which was a real oddity. I think that the movement is a Calibre 1230, and used a magnetic tuning fork.

I think that the reference is Omega reference 196.0022 - I don't know that much about this particular watch - my interest in 70s Omegas are more their TV dial Seamaster Automatic Chronos, but these are pretty cool. A related movement is used in the famous Meca, which was apparently lashed to the bow of the Omega sponsored Americas Cup yacht, and it only lost a few seconds throughout the voyage.

Edit: wrong about the reference. I'll look it up and edit when I get that right.

Last edited:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what is up with the back there, but that is an Omega Megasonic 750Mhz, which was a real oddity. I think that the movement is a Calibre 1230, and used a magnetic tuning fork.

I think that the reference is Omega reference 196.0022 - I don't know that much about this particular watch - my interest in 70s Omegas are more their TV dial Seamaster Automatic Chronos, but these are pretty cool. A related movement is used in the famous Meca, which was apparently lashed to the bow of the Omega sponsored Americas Cup yacht, and it only lost a few seconds throughout the voyage.

Edit: wrong about the reference. I'll look it up and edit when I get that right.
Thanks for the response! Is it a 720Mhz? Do you think its gold or just gold plated?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response! Is it a 720Mhz? Do you think its gold or just gold plated?
Nearly assuredly good plated. It's an odd bird for sure. The dial indicates 720, which is really sorta unusual. Most of those electronic watches were 300, but they Megasonic was made back in 1973. You'd need to get a watch maker to open up the back to really figure it out for sure. The reference above is for a very similar watch, but with the 300 hz movement. I wonder if during some service, some well meaning watchmaker didn't just recase the watch incorrectly, though it's weird to recase into a gold plated case. I dunno.

OrlandoMo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
As you enjoyed the vintage Pepsi so much earlier, and because my wife wore it again yesterday, here's another. My watch, this time, is the Omega Seamaster 300 "Spectre" edition from a few years ago.
View attachment 1239556
Omega is wonderful. Wouldn’t you try it with an alligator leather watch strap rather than canvas?

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9769164A-C5E1-4E17-9B9B-5DE2C7B6E4D8.jpeg
0C61D15A-F9F3-4ABD-B602-B01F6AEBF4E5.jpeg

Curious:
Was looking through some old auction catalogs at mums, found this “reverso”.

Does anyone know if it is just a JLC retailed by Cartier or an interpretation by Cartier?

Edit: was a Cartier themed auction in 1993, Christie’s.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Omega is wonderful. Wouldn’t you try it with an alligator leather watch strap rather than canvas?
Honestly, no, not really.

The Nato strap that the Spectre watch is on in that picture is one of the two straps it came with. The other is a bracelet, but that has never been out of the box. I keep it on the Nato (which is by far the best Nato strap I've ever seen) because that was how it appeared in the movie.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, no, not really.

The Nato strap that the Spectre watch is on in that picture is one of the two straps it came with. The other is a bracelet, but that has never been out of the box. I keep it on the Nato (which is by far the best Nato strap I've ever seen) because that was how it appeared in the movie.
Yeah keep it movie style.
Do you like the new 300m?
Craig has made adverts in black tie wearing the new Seamaster 300m diver so its a fairly safe bet he’ll be sporting that in No Time To Die. That’s another great looking watch but previous Seamasters have included chrono and GMT versions. They recently came out with a chrono, if they do a GMT I’d be all over it. I suppose they could repurpose the movement from the Deep Black PO which is a nice looking watch (love the GMT numbers on the rehault) but it’s not quite ‘there’ for me. A silver grey dial laser-etched 300m on a blue rubber strap with GMT would definitely satisfy an itch for me!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads