• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my dad's old watches. No idea about reference and such. He used it as a field watch from the early 50s until the 70s or so, so I figured this kind of strap would be apt. Frankly I don't think my dad knew about NATO straps, despite being a NATO officer for some 40 years.

View attachment 1238839
Cool! That's a really good-looking watch.

Last edited:

an draoi

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that wonderful black face mask he used to sport in his photos (it was always so natural that I couldn’t tell whether it was photoshopped). It was probably made of (all natural) chambray dyed in the finest Italian squid ink. He was certainly ahead of his times. Only the most fashionable folks in Japan wear the black mask. The pedestrians wear white masks with pedestrian watches like Rolex and Speedmaster.

I saw a Nautilus on the train a few days ago, though, and it was underwhelming. Royal Oak by a country mile. If only the plebes here owned fine watches like the 5296G.
I haven't a clue what you are wibbling on about, although I do suspect you are seeking to make mischief.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't a clue what you are wibbling on about, although I do suspect you are seeking to make mischief.

In the words of the great Terry Southern, “Natch.” Just a bit of irreverence for the old timers clinging on here. Hard to stir the pot lately, though, since @TheFooperInChief has moved on from our unimportant corner of the forum. He’s no doubt pontificating on something more important. Thank goodness he isn’t limited by however many characters you get when twittering.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We need more pictures!

The top watch is the most complicated watch I own, a Longines Master Collection Triple-Date Moonphase Chrono. Also the longest-named watch I own! I don't wear it often, but I enjoy it when I do. The bottom watch is, of course, a Rolex GMT Master, from 1984.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a hairy man myself, I hope it is the top one.
It is. The bottom one is my wife.
Andy every time you post that GMT you are breaking down my resolve to wait until I get on top of the waiting list for the ceramic and make me start searching for a vintage like yours. Damn you!
A vintage Pepsi is never a bad idea.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I'm wearing my LLD no-date. I've been trying to find a dive watch I like for a long time that isn't duplicative within my collection and I think this may be it. I own the Doxa Black Lung Sharkhunter too but wearing it in any situation outside of diving always feels off.

The LLD is certainly my largest watch, took a bit of getting used to mentally to wear something that engulfs my wrist but since it is a spec-for-spec remake of their late 50s models I've given it a pass.

I've also got a Tissot Janeiro incoming. I've heard its one of the least legible watches ever made but I've been wanting one for a few years now and finally decided what the hell, I'll give it a try.

IMG_20190803_133744_764.jpg

IMG_20190716_203044_453.jpg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andy every time you post that GMT you are breaking down my resolve to wait until I get on top of the waiting list for the ceramic and make me start searching for a vintage like yours. Damn you!
As you enjoyed the vintage Pepsi so much earlier, and because my wife wore it again yesterday, here's another. My watch, this time, is the Omega Seamaster 300 "Spectre" edition from a few years ago.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember when you got that one. I quite like it but hash mark overload!
I used to have a world timer watch but flipped it for the Heuer Autavia redux which has a similar 12 hour bezel. It’s much more useful when changing time zones than the world timer. I decided I really don’t care what time it is in Riyadh or Bangkok!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads