• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the state of the "vintage" Rolex market? I am very aware of the current stainless Professional model bubble we are in at the moment (with regards to new references), and I am also aware older models like the 16710 have seen hefty appreciation over the past couple of years, but would something like a mint, complete F serial 16710 for around $10k be considered a bad buy?

View attachment 1226994

Doesn't answer your question but damn what a fine watch. An unpolished mint condition 1978 Pepsi GMT is my grail of grails.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rolex Submariner service question. I have a model 16610 I purchased in 2000 and have never had it serviced. It's running +10 seconds daily now and out of COSC standards. Not a major issue as I just set it to the Naval Observatory clock in the morning. But still...

Should I get this serviced for its long-term viability? I dive and snorkel with it and imagine the gasket will wear out eventually and the watch may need some cleaning and lubrication.

How often do you guys get yours serviced?

dan'l

Reaction score
I thought it was recommended to go for servicing every 3-5 years if you use it for diving?

Personally I’d be worried about diving with it, if it hasn’t recently been pressure-checked. I bought my SD new in 2005 and it hasn't been serviced or checked since then, so I wouldn’t dream of taking it diving.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex Submariner service question. I have a model 16610 I purchased in 2000 and have never had it serviced. It's running +10 seconds daily now and out of COSC standards. Not a major issue as I just set it to the Naval Observatory clock in the morning. But still...

Should I get this serviced for its long-term viability? I dive and snorkel with it and imagine the gasket will wear out eventually and the watch may need some cleaning and lubrication.

My watchmaker, who worked for Rolex in Geneve for 2 years, is adamant that watches shouldnt be serviced until theres a reason to service them. With that said, they sometimes need adjusting, so it wouldnt hurt to have someone give it a once over.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The longest I've gone without servicing a Rolex is 13 years. The movement was cleaned and serviced, and they replaced the gaskets. No other parts needed replacing. If you dive and have banged the crystal, they make suggest replacing the crystal if its chipped or damaged. Oils and lubricants are better now than they were years ago. However, I would imagine if your watch is 19 years old, some of the oils may have congealed or dried up by now. Some people say, the only time to service a watch is when it's no longer keeping good time...but I don't agree with that.

More importantly, if you are diving and snorkeling with it on regular basis, I would want it serviced so it will get new gaskets. I don't dive, but I've heard it said if a person swims or dives with a watch, they should have it pressure tested every 18 months to 2 years, just to be sure nothing is compromised and water can't get into it. I think getting a watch pressured tested is around $50. That one time water gets in can ruin your day and a watch.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been wanting a Grand Seiko for a few years now but every time I thought I picked the one I wanted, a different one would catch my eye. Over the years, I’ve had my eye on a few of the divers and GMT models as well as the Snowflake, big pusher chrono, and the antimagnetic ones but just never could decide.

I got the bug again recently and started looking again and made an offer to a retailer on the SBGX335 quartz diver. It arrived yesterday and I think I made a good decision.

B7304D5E-29DC-4005-8A92-83315292BF76.jpeg

99E6DB08-CD04-435F-9857-97DB113EDBFA.jpeg

1CDC8D4F-AB5D-4084-8A67-6CAABBCED08B.jpeg

6C33B9BF-25ED-4F93-8D16-1ABF8BAE37AB.jpeg

It feels light years ahead of my MM300 in terms of the quality of the finish.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
What's the current opinion on Panerai? Saw that they raised their prices, but they have a 40mm automatic option that is attractive. Looking for a new daily and not interested in wooing an AD for a Rolex sports anymore.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the current opinion on Panerai? Saw that they raised their prices, but they have a 40mm automatic option that is attractive. Looking for a new daily and not interested in wooing an AD for a Rolex sports anymore.

Well, whats your opinion on them? Would you want to live with one as a daily driver? 40mm in their shape case wears pretty big. I think they have some cool pieces, but none that I would pay retail for.

Whats your budget? What features/ styles are you interested in?

You could always go pre-owned. My local guy has a pretty nice 14060 Sub with drilled lugs in his case right now...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not go with a used, or get real vintage with a good vintage dealer like HQ Milton? I'm not even a sub fan, but this looks pretty interesting: https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/9398vq0n/1983-rolex-submariner-16800-matte-dial-A1466

I personally find vintage watches way more interesting than new ones, but of course, YMMV.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Why not go with a used, or get real vintage with a good vintage dealer like HQ Milton? I'm not even a sub fan, but this looks pretty interesting: https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/9398vq0n/1983-rolex-submariner-16800-matte-dial-A1466

I personally find vintage watches way more interesting than new ones, but of course, YMMV.

I would prefer not to pay above retail for watches and would prefer to go through an AD. I realize this is a completely arbitrary position especially with vintage, but just my personal taste.

Looking for something under 10 grand, closer to 5-7 preferable. Would like a date complication, but not necessary. Other complications I never use. I like the Luminor design but they do wear large. I was considering OP39 but it lacks the date and the only AD in town almost never has it in stock. Datejust was too dressy with the polished links and lugs.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would prefer not to pay above retail for watches and would prefer to go through an AD. I realize this is a completely arbitrary position especially with vintage, but just my personal taste.

Looking for something under 10 grand, closer to 5-7 preferable. Would like a date complication, but not necessary. Other complications I never use. I like the Luminor design but they do wear large. I was considering OP39 but it lacks the date and the only AD in town almost never has it in stock. Datejust was too dressy with the polished links and lugs.

That budget buys a lot of different watches. Lots of Omegas in that price range, as well as many other makers. Grand Seiko, Tudor, IWC, Breitling, etc. Are you a watch collector or do you want A watch to wear all the time? Up to $10k is a lot of money, so probably want to spend some time figuring out likes and dislikes.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
That budget buys a lot of different watches. Lots of Omegas in that price range, as well as many other makers. Grand Seiko, Tudor, IWC, Breitling, etc. Are you a watch collector or do you want A watch to wear all the time? Up to $10k is a lot of money, so probably want to spend some time figuring out likes and dislikes.
Definitely not a collector. Haven't really seen an Omega, Tudor, IWC or Breitling I liked/was comfortable except BB58. No place to try on GS in town. 10k is indeed quite a bit of money, and I'd probably only stretch there if I could get a GMT new (or a pre-owned Hulk lol). My idea of a perfect daily would be a 39mm explorer if it had a date.

I'm being incredibly picky and difficult, I know; the core problem is the chokehold on Rolex sports models.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How about an Explorer? I may have a line on that. At an AD. It's located in Canadia though, at least the one I know, and Rolex won't allow their AD's to ship cross borders. So, depends on whether you love my home country, and in one of the most beautiful of our cities. Actually, I may have a lead on at least two stainless steel Rolexes. If you care, you can PM me. I'll make a call, and if it works out. I am happy to tell you.

Lumaca

Reaction score
Definitely not a collector. Haven't really seen an Omega, Tudor, IWC or Breitling I liked/was comfortable except BB58. No place to try on GS in town. 10k is indeed quite a bit of money, and I'd probably only stretch there if I could get a GMT new (or a pre-owned Hulk lol). My idea of a perfect daily would be a 39mm explorer if it had a date.

I'm being incredibly picky and difficult, I know; the core problem is the chokehold on Rolex sports models.

Datejust then? My Paneristi friend was ranting about how panerai raised prices but reduced water resistance, and he's been saying that current panerai kinda lost the plot hahaha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads