• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction; I’m terrible with ref. numbers. Not sure how you guys have them all memorized!

I like the Breguet numerals and sidestep seconds. If it were around 35-36mm, I’d be searching for one myself.

It seems like we have similar tastes, since I also have a CPCP MP!

Give us a wrist shot of that beauty! What else do you have that competes for wrist time with that?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Researching Cartier references is so difficult... ie XXXXd vs XXXXe - shows same metal and apparently the same dimensions - so what's the difference?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Researching Cartier references is so difficult... ie XXXXd vs XXXXe - shows same metal and apparently the same dimensions - so what's the difference?

What piece are you trying to research?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2518 as an extension of learning about interesting tortue references.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Same case, same dimensions, same movement. It may signify a production period, much like with the old Rolex serial number prefix. Not positive. If I come up with something else, I will let you know.

dan'l

Reaction score
Give us a wrist shot of that beauty! What else do you have that competes for wrist time with that?

I posted a pic a few years back after I first got it. I’m traveling now, so I’ll post a pic when I’m back.

Actually, I don’t wear it so much and it spends most of its time in the safe deposit box, LOL.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I contacted a friend who is an avid Cartier collector. He was also unaware of what the 2518D vs 2518E represent. He suggested that you do your research using the official reference numbers, which are W1531851 for the gold CPCP Tortue and W1532851 for the Platinum. I tried to do a little research regarding 4 digit number on the case back, and one website https://www.wpdiamonds.com/watch-model-number/ suggested the 4 digit number is shortened version of the official reference number, but that is not accurate from what I've seen. Anyway, wishing you luck with your research!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a vintage Omega Seamaster Chronograph, a Ref 105-005, gold plated, with a slivered dial, and featuring the legendary 321 movement, from the orignal owner, Looks to be in pretty great condition. I'll post some pictures when I actually get it.

I've been looking for a gold plated 105 or a 145.018 for a bit, and am glad that I could get one in good condition for a decent price. I was thinking also of a 145.016, which is solid 18K gold with a gilt 861 movement, but I think that I wanted something with a round rather than more of a pillow shaped case for this.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is ur friend george cramer? :smarmy:

Yes, he is. However, I also have 2 other friends who are big into Cartier watches.

I just picked up a vintage Omega Seamaster Chronograph, a Ref 105-005, gold plated, with a slivered dial, and featuring the legendary 321 movement, from the orignal owner, Looks to be in pretty great condition. I'll post some pictures when I actually get it.

I've been looking for a gold plated 105 or a 145.018 for a bit, and am glad that I could get one in good condition for a decent price. I was thinking also of a 145.016, which is solid 18K gold with a gilt 861 movement, but I think that I wanted something with a round rather than more of a pillow shaped case for this.

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing pix soon! :cheers:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, he is. However, I also have 2 other friends who are big into Cartier watches.

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing pix soon! :cheers:
Thanks. I've gotten a couple more since I started posting here, but nothing of great note. This is actually the gold plated (or gold filled, it's hard to say as the owner didn't seem to know that much about his watch) 105.005, a Seamaster chrono. I ran into a 145.018 which had a lovely dial, but was seriously overpolished and overpriced.

Since then, I've been semi-obsessed with getting a Seamaster Chronograph with the 321 or 861 movement, in a smaller size. A gold, gold filled, or gold plated, somewhat dressy Seamaster or DeVille, seems like a charming oddity. Incidentally, in researching this particular watch, I ran across an interesting tidbit:

dan'l

Reaction score
Saw this in a Dubai shop window and had to try it on:
EC975C1B-85F2-44BA-BD5E-34A571E1BA45.jpeg

dan'l

Reaction score
I also saw the new chronograph at the Bvlgari boutique:
AF8600D7-884D-47EC-866B-CBABDEBA79F2.jpeg

Sadly at 42mm, I found it too large for my tastes.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
**** that’s a nice watch.
I thought of you when I picked mine up. The 321 movements are harder to get serviced, though they brought it back, so maintenance and repairs may be easier now, but there are similar models, like the 145.018, that use the 861 movement, and the stainless steel models in his order pop up more often. They are great but examples of a handsome, but not obvious watch. I like the folks version for a bit of a retro look, and I have the perfect fob to mount it on, but I'd be happy to send good some links of ones that seem on good shape and without redials if you are interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads