• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually those watches are quite nice. Great entry-level automatic to give to a kid.

I gave both of my nephews seiko 5's for their 10th birthday's and for 60$ its a heck of a watch for the $$. Based on how they look now after a couple of years, I am glad I didn't spend more on them. Kids beat the hell out of them.

I will save some more and get them a nicer piece when they turn 18, but I just could't ever buy them a MVMT. They are the Untuckit of the watch world.

DL-

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gave both of my nephews seiko 5's for their 10th birthday's and for 60$ its a heck of a watch for the $$. Based on how they look now after a couple of years, I am glad I didn't spend more on them. Kids beat the hell out of them.

I will save some more and get them a nicer piece when they turn 18, but I just could't ever buy them a MVMT. They are the Untuckit of the watch world.

DL-
I've done the same thing. Got the younger one's a Seiko. Gave my 18 year old nephew a Unimatic diver as it fit his personality perfectly. Christopher Ward, Archimede, Hamilton, and Seiko for my kid (who is always eyeing my Submariner...)

dan'l

Reaction score
State of the collection. I have two others on the radar but apart from those I do not foresee any changes in the near term.
How do you like that PP 5000? I really like the cal. 240 with micro-rotor, but the watch felt too small to me when I tried one on, even though my wrists are anything but thick.

Seeing that you have an Octo, I suppose you have a thing for micro-rotors!

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up this 1976 Omega Seamaster. ?

Attachments

• 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190810143138931_COVER.jpg
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190810143138931_COVER.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190810131700732_COVER.jpg
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190810131700732_COVER.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 68

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you like that PP 5000? I really like the cal. 240 with micro-rotor, but the watch felt too small to me when I tried one on, even though my wrists are anything but thick.

Seeing that you have an Octo, I suppose you have a thing for micro-rotors!

I really love it. It’s actually the 5026. It’s only 33mm but I think the size is no problem. I prefer smaller dress watches. I find the bigger ones like the 5296 too spread out so they are a little less elegant.

No real preference for micro-rotors, but they are nice. I have just bought watches that I think are great designs and quality and that are comfortable on my wrist. Although I consider brand and in-house movements when buying, they are much less important characteristics to me.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you tell us more about your watch case please?

It is an Orbita. It has a carbon fiber exterior. I think it may have been an exclusive for the Japanese market. I cannot find it online anymore unfortunately.

Dust For Eyes

Reaction score
It is an Orbita. It has a carbon fiber exterior. I think it may have been an exclusive for the Japanese market. I cannot find it online anymore unfortunately.
Ah I see.

I am in the market for a case. I note that Orbita also makes winders. I might be able to stretch my budget to a 4 watch winder if I knew it was perfect.

The quality of winders seems to vary as wildly as watches themselves so I'm finding it difficult to get one that suits my needs.

I'm keen to get a winder as I've just picked up a perpetual calendar which is a bit of a bore setting the time (day/date/month) each time it comes in rotation.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah I see.

I am in the market for a case. I note that Orbita also makes winders. I might be able to stretch my budget to a 4 watch winder if I knew it was perfect.

The quality of winders seems to vary as wildly as watches themselves so I'm finding it difficult to get one that suits my needs.

I'm keen to get a winder as I've just picked up a perpetual calendar which is a bit of a bore setting the time (day/date/month) each time it comes in rotation.

Which perpetual did you get?

I like the SwissKubik Startbox. It’s not programmable, though. I’ve tried several others and like the SwissKubik the best. It’s very nice quality and quiet.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DL-

Try watches from KS for some fun

img_1565495132658.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just picked up this 1976 Omega Seamaster. ?
Love those old Omega Day Date Constellations. Right now, I am picking up old hand wound Rolexes, but I'm also looking for a "TV" case Omega Day Date Constellation from the 70s, preferably gold filled, which seems so very 70s.

dan'l

Reaction score
I really love it. It’s actually the 5026. It’s only 33mm but I think the size is no problem.

Thanks for the correction; I’m terrible with ref. numbers. Not sure how you guys have them all memorized!

I like the Breguet numerals and sidestep seconds. If it were around 35-36mm, I’d be searching for one myself.

It seems like we have similar tastes, since I also have a CPCP MP!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads