• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not meant to be offensive at all and was in no way toxic!. Certain sectors have different rules, official or not. Where I work men just don't wear jewelry beyond what I mentioned. I know Andy is on the West Coast and a software-guy. I'm sure the norms are completely different.

No harm, no foul, dude, but relax a bit, eh?

Last edited:

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not meant to be offensive at all and was in no way toxic!. Certain sectors have different rules, official or not. Where I work men just don't wear jewelry beyond what I mentioned. I know Andy is on the West Coast and a software-guy. I'm sure the rules are completely different.

No harm, no foul, dude, but relax a bit, eh?

Haha. Sorry my sarcasm was lost in the interwebs! My poor attempt to admire your post. I enjoyed your response so much that it was my first and only like I have ever given on StyleForum. Well played. My response was tongue in cheek.

I should add that I have nothing against men wearing jewelry whatever the type. My response(s) were more about Andy57’s need to randomly defend the design of his wedding ring out of the blue. To me it struck me as an out-of-the-blue admission of insecurity. Wear what you like whether it’s watches or jewelry. Post it proudly if you do on the internet and don’t sweat what others say. The only reason to post something to a bunch of strangers is to let a few other people share your enjoyment. Not seek validation.

Last edited:

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know about something I didn’t give a **** about either.

Boom roasted. Many likes for the great state of Texasmade. Andy57 did presume to speak for Wei Koh despite his admonishment otherwise.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, all personal preference of course. The academy rings are amusing but meaningless outside of certain small communities. I don't have one myself.

I prefer the acerbic, somewhat ironic, yet pointed advice of the GS Elevator dude:
  • Wedding rings, watches, and cufflinks are the only acceptable form of jewelry for a man. Unless the Dalai Lama gave you that bracelet, leave it at home.

• The only thing worse for a woman than meeting a guy she likes with a ring on his wedding finger is meeting a guy she likes with a ring on any other finger.
Cheers!
What complete bullshit.

Boom roasted. Many likes for the great state of Texasmade. Andy57 did presume to speak for Wei Koh despite his admonishment otherwise.
Oh, please.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On that note, here's a picture of a watch.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What complete bullshit.

Oh, please.
Normally I would make a "you kids get off my lawn" comment but I suspect we are close in age.... ?

Anyway, to each, his own.

Different strokes for different folks.

It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer John's fritters.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Normally I would make a "you kids get off my lawn" comment but I suspect we are close in age.... ?

Anyway, to each, his own.

Different strokes for different folks.

It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer John's fritters.
What I should have said, in a more reasoned response to the GS Elevator dude's advice that you posted, was that it was simply prescriptivist. One person's opinion of what other people should or should not do. And then positioned (or quoted) as representing some generally-agreed-to truth about what is acceptable. I despise prescriptivism. I'm prone to it myself, of course, which I always regret, but I react quite negatively to it when I encounter it. I think the assertion that the only acceptable jewelry for a man is a wedding band and a watch is ridiculous. If that's all an individual wants to wear, that's perfectly fine. I love wearing bracelets. I have dozens of them. If that excludes me from some club of acceptability, great. It doesn't sound like any club I'd want to be a member of.

Finally, I agree with you about different strokes for different folks.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. I wear bracelets. In fact, the Dalai Lama delivered one last week, and it seems like he might be delivering another this week. My wife and I sometimes even wear complementary bracelets, like an Hermes Chaine D'Ancre (GM for me, though I have thought of a TGM, and.. the same for her, lol, or the incoming Crescendo).

I also don't wear a wedding ring (rings just wear down my finger and causes them to ache), but I wear my big fact platinum band on a bracelet as well, and have a tattoo on my ring finger instead.

That said, I honestly don't find differing opinions offensive. If you don't like the way I dress, I feel like you are entitled to your opinion as long as you don't harass me about it constantly. I think that it's healthy to agree to disagree and to co-exist nonetheless. I honestly don't even think that in this particular instance, it's really a conflict between ideas of maculinity rather than a conflict of cultural norms. I hang out with a lot of fighters, a fair number of them military or ex-military, "manly men" from "manly cultures", by most standards, and rings and bracelets are frequently worn off the mats and outside the cage.

As for this idea of "toxic masculinity", I personally don't use that language nor do I subscribe to that type of political stance. I think that it's not particularly constructive to any type of dialogue, and simply allows divisions and resentments to fester. I will not shut down opinions unless they contain racial slurs or explicit threats of violence.

Let's just let it go and keep on talking about cool watches. On that note, saw a pretty nice gold filled Rolex Air-King over the weekend - full set, and at a good price, but the lugs were really over-polished. It was sorta sad. Could have picked it up for less than pretty much anything I've seen on Chrono24 or anywhere else.

Cheers,

Fok.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like hashing out opinions here as long as no one gets too nasty. Still a CM guy at heart and not really into jewelry. Also, not really a "manly men doing manly things" sort of thing. Just me being snobbish. ? Are monocles considered jewelry?

Air Kings are neat and kind of below-the-radar even with the redesign.

I really want the Moonwatch but have a Sub and don't really need two stainless tool watches. Thinking of a JLC Master Control or Ultrathin as a dress watch.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In other news, this showed up today...

It's a Stowa (obviously!) Marine Original Red 60 Limited Edition. I requested, and received, #57. I have a fondness for Stowa. I think they are rugged watches and the Marine is a beautiful and simple watch, rendered extremely well. And (I think) phenomenal value for money. I have a Marine Auto that I like a lot, but I liked the look of this sub-seconds manual version with the "60" in red.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other news, this showed up today...

It's a Stowa (obviously!) Marine Original Red 60 Limited Edition. I requested, and received, #57. I have a fondness for Stowa. I think they are rugged watches and the Marine is a beautiful and simple watch, rendered extremely well. And (I think) phenomenal value for money. I have a Marine Auto that I like a lot, but I liked the look of this sub-seconds manual version with the "60" in red.
Stowa are very nice. Was close to buying one but ended up going with Archimede for a B-Uhren-style pilot watch. Ended up getting each of my kids one as a college graduation gift.

While on the subject of affordable German watches, Muhle Glashutte makes some nice aviation, marine, and outdoor pieces as well. My wife got me this Terranaut Trail III a while back as an hiking watch.

Capture 2.JPG

Last edited:

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gissa clue for the incoming D...
Bought at auction so not currently manufactured. To be worn during the day so black dial. Trying not to repeat elements from either Explorer II or PP 5170g.

Last edited:

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the acerbic, somewhat ironic, yet pointed advice of the GS Elevator dude:
  • Wedding rings, watches, and cufflinks are the only acceptable form of jewelry for a man. Unless the Dalai Lama gave you that bracelet, leave it at home.

• The only thing worse for a woman than meeting a guy she likes with a ring on his wedding finger is meeting a guy she likes with a ring on any other finger.
Cheers!

This is a boomer post

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads