• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I appreciate all the kind words. For the most part my collection has been amassed by finding the unloved models, mostly out of financial necessity!

On the Breguet, I think I prefer the pump pushers to Square variants, but I have Oval pushers on my Breitling that I think look really sharp so who knows!
View attachment 1205580
This is a personal favorite of mine and one that I lost out on in an ebay auction last year for a price I will regret for quite some time...

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a personal favorite of mine and one that I lost out on in an ebay auction last year for a price I will regret for quite some time...
Yea they are rare birds, According to some 150-175 made, but the Breitling archivist I connected with told me only 75 in each dial variation, with the attached archive documents ti support it, so who knows (also an optimistic retail for the time, at the low end it would be around $16k in today's dollar)....

Attachments

• IMG_2614.JPG
    IMG_2614.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2615.JPG
    IMG_2615.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 66

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Cool stuff — thanks for sharing! Gorgeous watch, too.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm more excited about the upcoming Hodinkee x Blancpain than any Hodinkee LE ever. If they come up with something comparable to the Barakuda at a more palatable price point, my wallet is ready . . .

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Yeah, agreed AC...should be interesting to see what drops.

The Barakuda was a near-miss for me. Good size @ 40mm, and I could probably live with the fauxtina, but I just didn't care for the red on the indices myself.

Oh, and I could also do without the day-counter.

Edit to add: just googled, and if it's something closer to the "Naguers de Combat" version, then I would find that enticing.

Last edited:

yls2012

Reaction score
Should I try to trade my Lange 1815 up down toward an AP 15500? Finding I don’t wear it as much as it deserves because it’s formal and delicate. AP solves the former but not the latter; also more noticeable around the office. Just kicking the idea around and testing the waters. Don’t want to get hosed on the Lange either.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess that depends on what the other perimeters of the deal are. I love the Lange but like you I would struggle to find enough opportunities to wear it in my day to day life.

bsarosi

Reaction score
Yes. I haven't updated the value since I bought it in the UK almost 20 years ago. There was a waitlist in Germany, where I was living at the time, so I grabbed it in London while on a business trip.

I recently went to Lenkersdorfer in Tysons and they charged me $50/watch for an appraisal. It wasn't what I'd call a thorough appraisal as they didn't take the caseback off to check the movement. They simply did a glance over of the watch, took down the serial and model numbers, and then sent me a written appraisal letter a few days later stating the watch's replacement value. They provided 2 copies of the signed letter (one for me and one for the insurance company in case they won't accept a copy).

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should I try to trade my Lange 1815 up down toward an AP 15500? Finding I don’t wear it as much as it deserves because it’s formal and delicate. AP solves the former but not the latter; also more noticeable around the office. Just kicking the idea around and testing the waters. Don’t want to get hosed on the Lange either.
Big Lange fan and have a gold 1815 chrono that I wear infrequently, but whenever I do it gives me much joy. As a daily driver though, the 15500 is a way better choice just because a classic steel sports watch on a bracelet is so much more versatile. I went with a Nautilus a couple of years ago before the market got so nuts and have worn it literally every day since.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently went to Lenkersdorfer in Tysons and they charged me $50/watch for an appraisal. It wasn't what I'd call a thorough appraisal as they didn't take the caseback off to check the movement. They simply did a glance over of the watch, took down the serial and model numbers, and then sent me a written appraisal letter a few days later stating the watch's replacement value. They provided 2 copies of the signed letter (one for me and one for the insurance company in case they won't accept a copy).
Excellent! Did the appraisal match what you expected?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$50, is very inexpensive. Most don't take the case back off, unless maybe the suspect it is a fake? The place I brought mine to in Boston, took a color photo that is part of the appraisal and wrote a very thorough description, including the watch's overall condition, dial color, subdial color/Patrizzi dial, reference number, serial #, case diameter, the engraving on the bezel, bracelet number, etc. I also brought the box, papers, hang tags, etc so they could see it is a complete set. In the end the key part is being happy with the appraised amount and that the insurance company accepted the appraisal.

If you aren't really wearing the watch much, it may make sense to trade it toward something you will be able to wear and enjoy on a more regular basis. I've sold or traded a few pieces I wasn't wearing often. I always feel a little bad seeing a piece leave my collection, but picking up something that gets more wrist time gets me over that feeling quickly.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this today—really sharp. Wasn’t familiar with this reference before—2942. From the 30s apparently. Can’t comment on originality, though. Note the lovely Calatrava case.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tempted, even if it isn't a full set...

View attachment 1206687

That one is a real beauty. I didn't know it existed until recently when I saw it online. If you are not so OCD that a full set is a requirement for you, then don't let that fact that it isn't stop you. Not sure how many like this one are out there, so it could be a long time before you locate another and that one may not be a full set either. I love the Tank LC. It's my favorite time only dress watch. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads