• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should make vintage pieces cheaper. Collectors are starting to unload in 1, 2, 3

I don’t think the pool of buyers is the same. An Omega fanboy with deep pockets will want the original, not a reissue. Or maybe both—one for safekeeping and one for regular wear.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think the pool of buyers is the same. An Omega fanboy with deep pockets will want the original, not a reissue. Or maybe both—one for safekeeping and one for regular wear.
Deep pockets are not really required - 321s don’t sell for much relative (at all) to some of the silly contemporary Ltd Eds.
Not sure what the production quotas were, but it does seem strange that a near mint pre-69 (rather 68) tends to sell for 11-14k USD

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
11,ooo ? The only thing that can make such purchase less stupid is a bigger fool willing to pay more.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
11,ooo ? The only thing that can make such purchase less stupid is a bigger fool willing to pay more.
I think that it's a dumb price as well, but let's remind ourselves that anything above a $300 watch is a probably considered a foolish, or at least frivolous, purchase, and any suit over $800, any pair of shoes over the same, etc... and you are dealing with highly diminishing returns.\

On that note, I just found out that a remodeling project on my house is bidding over the original estimate (we had some additional requests) at pretty much exactly the amount I had stashed away in my discretionary income fund for frivolous watch purchases :fu:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deep pockets are not really required - 321s don’t sell for much relative (at all) to some of the silly contemporary Ltd Eds.
Not sure what the production quotas were, but it does seem strange that a near mint pre-69 (rather 68) tends to sell for 11-14k USD
What does seem strange is that Omega somehow hasn't caught onto the fact that what people really seem to want are Panda and reverse Panda dial Speedies.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does seem strange is that Omega somehow hasn't caught onto the fact that what people really seem to want are Panda and reverse Panda dial Speedies.

I'm pretty sure they do. Just waiting to release another LE.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They just did a reverse Panda dial Speedy just two years ago with the first Speedy Tuesday. If you like Speedy Pros and you want a reverse Panda dial you won't be disappointed with that one.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They just did a reverse Panda dial Speedy just two years ago with the first Speedy Tuesday. If you like Speedy Pros and you want a reverse Panda dial you won't be disappointed with that one.
I like it, but the upcharge on them is silly. I'll wait.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s also the Tokyo Olympic Speedmasters that have panda dials in various colors other than black and white. Again those come with a premium unless you can get one from Tokyo.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s also the Tokyo Olympic Speedmasters that have panda dials in various colors other than black and white. Again those come with a premium unless you can get one from Tokyo.
Yeah, okay, but I really don't like Sapphire, and those have both sapphire crystals and casebacks, so unfortunately, a pass for me. I actually like the Speedy Tuesday one better.

benf

Reaction score
What about this one (CK 2998)?

Saw one at an AD about a month ago and not knowing much about Speedmasters I quite like the look of the reverse panda dial.

F1188F9A-7F67-4C88-AE4D-7E8FDB78B601.png

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about this one (CK 2998):

Saw one at an AD about a month ago and not knowing much about Speedmasters I quite like the look of the reverse panda dial.

View attachment 1103735
I think that my brother (a physician) wants this. It's not a bad one, but I already have a Speedy with a Mitsukoshi dial, so I'm looking for something else. Also, that house project is going to eat up my discretionary income for a few months. Kitchens and bathrooms are such a PITA to remodel.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
62652F36-0298-4DD9-A9FD-2BC5087A30A4.jpeg
Rainy day blues (and greens). Belstaff, Proper Cloth and the daily driver.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
I have a feeling that Omega comes with yet another (another another) re-issue or some stupid anniversary etc. piece of the Speedmaster or surprise - the seamaster. I love Omega to death, but i am slowly getting less and less interested in the brand with all this recycling.

On the other hand i cannot wait to see what IWC, Jeager and Seiko comes up with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads