• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Imyouricecreamman

Reaction score
I would take a look at the "Coupole" series from Rado. A lot better finished to my eyes than Tissot and a classic 38mm size. Not a match for the GP, but that is virtually impossible within budget.

r22861115_s.png

Looking for some ideas, folks! I'm looking for a guilloche but otherwise plain/reserved dial (maybe even without a date). Sub-40mm. Leather band. I've previously owned a Tissot Le Locle but I want a less busy dial (and probably something a little higher-end). Can be new or vintage. Budget ~$1500.

I'd planned to look for an older pre-owned iteration of this Girard Perregaux, which is almost perfect (excepting the price), but it turns out there isn't one. Oh well, maybe one day when I win the lottery.

Thanks for taking the time, Dino!

Lee Saxon

Reaction score
I would take a look at the "Coupole" series from Rado. A lot better finished to my eyes than Tissot and a classic 38mm size. Not a match for the GP, but that is virtually impossible within budget.

That's very much what I was looking for!! Sadly that gold one turns out to be PVD Stainless Steel and I'm not 'bout that life (as the kids are saying) but luckily there's also a normal Stainless Steel variant I'm very seriously considering. So thanks for the suggestion!

Imyouricecreamman

Reaction score
That's very much what I was looking for!! Sadly that gold one turns out to be PVD Stainless Steel and I'm not 'bout that life (as the kids are saying) but luckily there's also a normal Stainless Steel variant I'm very seriously considering. So thanks for the suggestion!

A big selection of dial and color configurations available. I agree with you in regards to PVD'd steel.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are so many versions of the speedmaster ... do you know which particular model/collection/whatever this one is?
Yeah, it's the Apollo 15, 35th anniversary edition. A lot of Speedies seem both nice and pretty boring to me, but this really jumped out. Maybe I'll get one for Christmas. @Dino944 if you have one where you are right now, PM me!

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's the Apollo 15, 35th anniversary edition. A lot of Speedies seem both nice and pretty boring to me, but this really jumped out. Maybe I'll get one for Christmas. @Dino944 if you have one where you are right now, PM me!

Crown and Caliber has one:

https://www.crownandcaliber.com/pro...versary-moonwatch-3366-51-00-10-10-ome-s1pntk

I noticed it a couple of weeks ago. There seems to be some oxidation (or whatever it is) on the hands. A few other things:

• I just ordered my second Speedmaster from them this year about two weeks ago. They're very reliable.
  • They allow for returns in 7 days, but make sure you don't remove the red sticker.
  • The usually have a $150 off code, like they do now, but if you call you can probably do a bit better. However it can depend because they are usually selling someone else's watch and only have so much wiggle room. From what I've seen they're generally pretty competitively priced.
Next year is the big 50th anniversary of Apollo XI and Omega will surely be doing something. I have a hunch they may do a gold piece since they did one back in 1969 as well, but that would likely be a second piece to commemorate that anniversary as I'm sure they'll do a steel version too. Speedy Tuesday 3 should be next year as well and Robert-Jan Broer said it will be good. I think an Alaska Project tribute might be the direction they go with that one, but not entirely sure.

If you really want a Speedmaster with gold on it, if you can find one of these in the right condition and at or below msrp I'd recommend it:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watches/speedmaster/moonwatch/apollo-11-45th-anniversary/product

The gold and the dial are fantastic. The Nato strap is too, but you'd probably want to change that as it wears big. Crown and Caliber has one of those as well, but I'm not keen on the condition and it's without box and papers which I can stomach, but on a watch this new it should really have them or I think it should be cheaper. This one seems to be on the uptick with Speedy collectors.

Finally, have you tried on a Speedmaster Professional? You should know they are 42mm. I'm fine with them on my wrist, but some may not like it. The First Omega in Space Speedmaster, which a couple of us have, is a fantastic alternative at only 39.7mm. It was my first Speedmaster and while it's not as... let's say "lauded" as my other Speedmasters I like it just as much.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want Dytona looking piece get a Tudor Tiger , some Rolex connection is there.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want Dytona looking piece get a Tudor Tiger , some Rolex connection is there.
I already have a Daytona, albeit one that looks pretty much the opposite of that colorwise. I'm not even a huge Omega fan, but I liked the look of that particular piece, and a few other rose gold containing Speedies. I guess that there is a rose gold Daytona that is pretty great, but $23k prices me out.

Lee Saxon

Reaction score
I think my guilloche-but-otherwise-austere-dial search has narrowed in on the Seiko Sakura Hubuki Limited Edition and the Oris Artelier Date Silver (even though at 40mm they're larger than I really want). How does everyone feel about those, quality-wise? Is ~$550 too much for a Seiko? And these listings I'm seeing for the Oris NIB @ ~$650 (under half of retail) can't be legit, right?

Am I wrong to be looking at new watches rather than looking for a deal on something vintage? Especially since I'm interested in smaller size?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads