• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
He has others, including a lovely GP chrono in a cushion case, but this question was specific to his Rolex collection.

kimmo

Reaction score

Read the news yesterday that Rolex tightened up their timing standards for the entire line http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-extends-stringent-in-house-tests/ So I checked the recent Daytona purchase and low and behold, boom, tighter standards without even knowing it. Denoted by the new green tag (that I should have noticed was different) Gotta give Rolex credit, another evolutionary improvement implemented without a big fanfare.
Interesting. Lagging Rolex deliveries resulted me getting the new 5 year warranty but didn't realize reading the Hodinkee article that I also got the green tag. Had to check, so apparently a double-whammy here, too. Does run pretty accurately, though.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

image.jpg

So any thoughts from fellow watch addicts on what you'd keep/ditch and why? I don't normally ask dumbass questions like this, but it's a new thread and I figured: "Why not?"

I'd keep:

Sea Dweller
Daytona
Oysterquartz
GMT Master

I could come up with a whole bunch of solid reasons why I'd do so, but TBH it all comes down to "I like the way they look" and "there's no overlap that way".

Last edited:

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
100% agreed with Apropos. My rational is personal preference plus differentiation.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thought I'd take a quick version of those CM style watch/shoe/sock whatever pics for the new thread. Except wearing SW&D.

Last edited:

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Cyc, when you picked up your Pepsi it made me rethink where I was going with my next watch purchase. Looks great.

robw

Reaction score
Nice job mimo on the faqs and starting this new thread. I was mostly a lurker but occasionally a poster on the old thread. Anyway here is my contribution to keep this going. Random wrist shot taken yesterday.
Welcome to The Watch Appreciation Thread

This is where Styleforum's watch lovers discuss the best timepieces and talk about what we have, what is new, and what we want. Please join us to share about your own watches - baller or bargain - and discuss, opine or ask advice. This is officially the friendliest thread on Styleforum!

Questions?
Yes. There is no minimum watch budget for entry! There is another thread that talks specifically about watches under $1000. But every watch is welcome here; come and talk about what yours means to you, whether it's budget or baller.
No. Members who sell stuff sometimes advertise a link in their signature, but there are no sales listings here. This is a discussion about watches. For sellers, check out the Buy and Sell.
No. See above, if you're a private seller. If you sell watches for a living, or regularly through your own site, then you can get your own thread and plenty of support by becoming a Styleforum Affiliate Vendor - send a private message to @LA Guy for further information.
From someone you can trust. Styleforum is not affiliated with any watch outlets. Most members buy privately, some use online sites like eBay or Chrono24 , and many recommend Watch Recon which aggregates sales advertisements from various private member watch forums. "Buy the seller" is good advice i.e. know who you're dealing with. Sometimes there's no substitute for walking into your local authorised retailer.
This is the thread's favourite question: tell us your budget and the kind of thing you like, and there will be plenty of advice. Take a look at these to whet your appetite: Keith's best sports watches under $1000 , or DL's best dress watches under $5000 .
Asking something or showing something is probably easiest. We know this thread can seem a bit clubby and insular but that's just because it's a genuinely friendly place - most members here don't actually know each other; we're just very easy to talk to. Yes, this is unusual in the internet world, but it's why we love this thread and hope you will join us. If you're not sure how to dive in, how about asking advice on your next purchase? Or just post a picture of your favourite watch, tell us about how you came to have it and why you like it. We all have our preferences and passions, but the fun is in the sharing - whatever watch you wear.
No. But you might want to use the "search" function, top right, and check previous posts and threads - it's quicker for you and gives you a chance to fine-tune your supplementary questions.
What do you think? According to general consensus in the thread: there are better watches, there are certainly more expensive watches, but these are very good watches. Rolex watches are not always the most lauded in their price range, especially at the higher (gold, platinum, jewelled models) prices. But most people seem to think that a steel Rolex is an excellent watch for the money.
A better question might be "is it right for you?". Consensus is rare - come and tell us what you think, and hear some other views.
Some see the Pano as clearly derivative of the Lange 1 and less desirable as a result. Others argue that both might draw on their shared heritage, and that some models of the Pano are sufficiently distinctive to have a design merit all of their own. Search the forum for previous discussions of this, and raise only if you are confident and thick-skinned!
T-WAT: acronym of thread title, see below ALS: A Lange & Soehne AP: Audemars Piguet BM: Baume & Mercier BR: Bell & Ross BP: Blancpain CW: Christopher Ward FC: Frederique Constant GP: Girard Perregaux GO: Glashuette Original GUB: Glashuette Uhrenbetrieber (precursor to GO) FM: Franck Muller JLC: Jaeger LeCoultre OJ: Ochs and Junior PF: Parmigiani Fleurier PP: Patek Philippe RW: Raymond Weil UN: Ulysse Nardin UG: Universal Geneve VC: Vacheron Constantin
Yes it does. When you see people referring to each other as TheWAT bros, or the TheWAT community, this is why. The thread was originally called the "Watch Prawn" thread. But that led to some unfortunate quirks with search engines, and unwanted interest from seafood voyeurs. It also put our Jewish and vegan participation numbers right down. TheWAT was the way to go.
This thread was started by Greg - @gdl203 , a long time ago. He also invented an awesome clothing business. And the internet, and Thursday.
I am English and stubborn. But they asked me to write the FAQ so this is what you get. Get over it.
Please see the general FAQ section.
Then post it right here - that's what this thread is for and we'd love to meet you!

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey dudes. Nice new thread you got here.

Confession time —I'm starting to think that I may have too many watches:

image.jpg

There's also a GMT II on permanent loan to my dad, an extra OP and OQ, plus a bunch of others that I don't get around to wearing much. But for now let's just focus on the pictured ones.

I should probably cut back to about three, which is still probably excessive, but the problem is that I really like all of 'em for various reasons. The Deepsea is still unworn and is an easy choice to get rid of, even though I'm actually starting to dig it, but i wear the rest about equally and it's tough to choose among them.

Now a normal person might say: "What the hell do you need that many watches for? Just pick something and sell the rest; they all look the same, anyway."

However, every watch person knows that's a ridiculous idea. It's near-impossible to cut back to a single one once you're hooked. And it's nice to have just the right thing, which is how this stuff starts.

So any thoughts from fellow watch addicts on what you'd keep/ditch and why? I don't normally ask dumbass questions like this, but it's a new thread and I figured: "Why not?"

PS: Farewell, old watch appreciation thread. May your near-decade of accumulated knowledge live on to enlighten future generations and keep them safe from crappy watches.

Amazing collection. I'd keep the Daytona, GMT, Sub and a Quartz.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey dudes. Nice new thread you got here.

Confession time —I'm starting to think that I may have too many watches:
Are you kidding? I'd keep 'em all.

francisco_bt

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new watch and wanted SF's thoughts on the options below. I plan to wear it with navy/charcoal suits at work and also use it for casual wear. I am in my late 20's, working in finance in NYC and looking for something classy yet sleek/modern. My budget is ~$7,000, which is a limit not a goal (if no significant style/quality difference then I would go for the cheaper option).

I am deciding between the Rolex Oyster Perpetual and the Omega Aqua Terra. I am also including a trio of long shots in case they get some love: a Baume et Mercier (my 3rd option), a Tag Heuer and a Movado, which I like it but might be too casual and designed for younger people.

Which one would you prefer and why?

Rolex Oyster Perpetual (Rhodium)

Rolex Oyster Perpetual (Blue)

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (Blue)

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (Black)

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (White)

Baume et Mercier Classisima

Carrera Calibre 16

Movado

Last edited:

OmarDubaibanker

Reaction score

I am in the market for a new watch and wanted SF's thoughts on the options below. I plan to wear it with navy/charcoal suits at work and also use it for casual wear. I am in my late 20's, working in finance in NYC and looking for something classy yet sleek/modern. My budget is ~$7,000, which is a limit not a goal (if no significant style/quality difference then I would go for the cheaper option).

I am deciding between the Rolex Oyster Perpetual and the Omega Aqua Terra. I am also including a trio of long shots in case they get some love: a Baume et Mercier (my 3rd option), a Tag Heuer and a Movado, which I like it but might be too casual and designed for younger people.

Which one would you prefer and why?

Rolex Oyster Perpetual (Rhodium)

Rolex Oyster Perpetual (Blue)

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (Blue)

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (Black)

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (White)

Baume et Mercier Classisima

Carrera Calibre 16

Movado

The Rolex gets my vote!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics