• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's one aspect that over this year I realised I quite liked which is that they fly under the radar. Two tone DJ and DJ inspired watches are very common amongst taxi drivers here for example. So you can wear something a lot nicer than you "should" and get away with it - I think even the two tone Explorer despite its more recognisable dial. The very cheapness that people now associate with their overbearing presence in the last few decades is an asset.

Giving a greater impression that a Rolex is more likely fake than real; this is truly a next-level play reserved only for the rarefied air of TWAT cognoscenti.

"Hey my fellow Poor dudes, note my ostensibly cheap and tacky style accents and know that I am actually a Pleb such as you, and not a worthy target of your petty crime."

Last edited:

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take real pictures soon, but WOW. Between the unique sapphire bezel, textured dial, giant indices, and beautiful exhibition caseback...I think this is my favorite diver ever.

I still have my other GS, the SBGE255...but this one smokes it. It is 44mm but doesn't wear that large. It is thick though, that is the only downside to me. Everything else is ace.

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-31 at 14.26.15.jpg

Axxl

Reaction score
New to this corner of the styleforum I love all your pics and great taste. That said I wonder why I cannot find a single word about Pequignet, the swiss-french brand that introduced a fully inhouse developed manufacture calibre with some interesting complications. All packed in a beautiful case and manufactured to the industry's highest standards (think GP, JLC or VC) at a very reasonable price point. Before you ask: I am in no way related to this company or in selling watches. I just find their "Rue Royale" line very compelling.

Interested in your thoughts!

Best

Axel

Doxe

Reaction score
Another watch you only need one of is a Reverso. I hear tell JLC makes other watches, but I've never seen one in the flesh.

The gimmick on this never gets old.

This one is from the early 2000s and unless you see that the hour pusher is on the case flank instead of on the interior of the case you would not know that this watch is 20 years old. There's classic and then there's classic.

This is a gentleman's GMT that can be had for half the price of a modern Rolex GMT, and won't get you robbed in a major European city. The steel ones are even cheaper.
Reverso 2.jpg
reverso 1.jpg

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this one for a while and when I heard about the price increase (which just happened today) I took the plunge. Reverso classic mono small seconds, large. When I first learned about these I wasn't too keen on them, but over time I grew to appreciate them more. I also really like the strap, it's super pliable.

20230530_120521.jpg

Doxe

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this one for a while and when I heard about the price increase (which just happened today) I took the plunge. Reverso classic mono small seconds, large. When I first learned about these I wasn't too keen on them, but over time I grew to appreciate them more. I also really like the strap, it's super pliable.

View attachment 1967369

This is one of those watches that really transcends hype or fashion. They were cool 100 years ago, they will still be cool as long as people wear watches. It is the one watch that I would not sell because there is nothing that could replace it, other than another Reverso.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1967369
Congrats! I've always been a big fan of the Reverso. It's really the only watch from JLC that I'd like to own. I saw a blue dial Duetto Tribute the other week and it was beautiful, but I don't like it's thickness. I'd want the monoface version. Anyway, congrats on getting one before the price increase took effect. :cheers:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads