• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big brains of TWAT be like

7gfcqt.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just thinking of the second hand rose gold watches I've purchased. The scratches on them look more out of place, etc VS white gold.

Good call on rose x cream though, that does look good..hmm :)
I've seen some white gold watches that looked very scratched up and I didn't think they looked better than rose or yellow gold with scratches. Also, if the WG is rhodium plated, it can get chips and need replating at a later date. Also, the brushed surfaces on the watch should hide some of the minor scratches. If you are tough on watches, well scratches are just a part of life and making the watch your own.

I think gold or rose gold would look great with a chocolate brown or black dial. Cartier makes that dark dial, but I don’t think it’s the right tone of black.
Yes, the rose with chocolate dial is very handsome. I've tried on the old Santos Dumont with a chocolate dial and the Tank Louis XL power reserve with a chocolate dial. Although, a Tank LC looks better without complications, the chocolate dial was really nice. However, I know a chocolate dial is not for everyone.

Cartier-Santos-Dumont-XL-18ct-Rose-Gold-Chocolate-Dial-W2006951.JPG1_.jpg

-Rose-38977-1.jpg

Last edited:

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen some white gold watches that looked very scratched up and I didn't think they looked better than rose or yellow gold with scratches. Also, if the WG is rhodium plated, it can get chips and need replating at a later date. Also, the brushed surfaces on the watch should hide some of the minor scratches. If you are tough on watches, well scratches are just a part of life and making the watch your own.

True. I am hoping Cartier WG is like Lange WG, where it's not plated at all? They are both owned by Richemont so I would hope that is the case lol

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m in the minority but I like the titanium yacht master. The brushing and material is cool. More differentiation from the sub with the metal.

m226627-0001_2301uf_002.jpg

It looks amazing. I love it.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True. I am hoping Cartier WG is like Lange WG, where it's not plated at all? They are both owned by Richemont so I would hope that is the case lol
I'm not a huge fan of white gold. I've only owned one white gold watch, and I didn't wear it much or keep it for very long. I've never inquired about whether Cartier's white gold is plated or not, but I know most of their white gold jewelry is plated with rhodium. Interestingly, I just checked their website and when I did a search for watches in white gold, only 1 watch is listed as being produced in white gold - a medium automatic, Santos de Cartier with diamonds.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m in the minority but I like the titanium yacht master. The brushing and material is cool. More differentiation from the sub with the metal.

m226627-0001_2301uf_002.jpg

I like it but wish it was 40mm. 42mm Yachmaster wears large.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
That smaller case size really accentuates the vintage vibe for a watch like that, and it is timed perfectly with case sizes generally getting smaller currently (other than that Oris). It's not for me, but I suspect it will be another home run for Tudor in a year where the Pelagos 39 would be selling like hotcakes if it were actually at AD's in sufficient quantities.
A smaller 37mm vintage inspired dive watch will really stand out on the wrist due to its uniqueness in a world where 41-42mm is the norm for a dive watch.
The return to the original case size of their first diver is an historical nod that makes it really attractive. Also like the fact that there is no minute graduation on the Bezel, only 5 minutes mark, less is more sometimes. With the smaller size, it is a very elegant watch indeed.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why the hell is W&W a full week? After the first 2 days, the convention can wrap up.
Bigger tax write off for a "business trip".

I like it exactly because it is goofy. I wouldn't want it as an every day watch, and I suspect the white indices on bright green are really hard to see in most situations, but it's silly and makes me smile. And it's surprisingly understated for a cartoon character themed watch.

Don't totally disagree with you, but that ProPilot line is, to me, underwhelming in person. The marketing photos make the angles of the case and bracelet look really good, but I tried one on a few months ago when I picked up my Explorer, and they really fall flat in person.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't totally disagree with you, but that ProPilot line is, to me, underwhelming in person. The marketing photos make the angles of the case and bracelet look really good, but I tried one on a few months ago when I picked up my Explorer, and they really fall flat in person.
That's useful info; I've really begun to like the ProPilot X and have been considering getting one lately. I'll have to go check them out and see if that kills the urge.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The return to the original case size of their first diver is an historical nod that makes it really attractive. Also like the fact that there is no minute graduation on the Bezel, only 5 minutes mark, less is more sometimes. With the smaller size, it is a very elegant watch indeed.
I like the fact that, depending on the design, those old vintage case sizes are sufficiently masculine as well.

This is a picture of a vintage inspired 37 mm dive watch from Aquastar, one of the original dive watch brands from the 60’s.

7AC06506-9C4C-4A96-B9B7-1FAE24BAFBD0.jpeg
26A6588A-493C-4176-AC56-9BD43E6AB7DD.jpeg

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you think rose gold will look way worse than white gold with wear?

Overall, an interesting special order configuration, although I'm not really a huge fan of cream dials, especially with white gold. IMHO it would probably look better with rose gold (below is a previous generation Santo-Dumont in rose gold with cream dial and chocolate numerals).

watch_157849445054849.jpeg

What are your thoughts on the green dial?

DC8737D4-3014-4BD6-AAF4-54E11063BB28.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads