• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Southeasterly

Reaction score
W+W definitely did not provide a lot to get excited about. It did leave me wondering how most of these products even made it to market. I give some credit to Tudor for the BB54 which seems superfluous at first, but fills a real niche. The Tag glass box and Chopard dress watch aren’t anything I would buy, but at least they’re pretty well executed. Everything else - meh.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thoughts on the releases:

Rolex- I really dig the 1908. Probably my favorite Rolex released in awhile and my favorite in their entire lineup. GMT in full gold is nice along with the updated Daytona. The fun Rolex watches released are ehh.

ALS- Odysseus is cool but why even bother paying all the expenses for W&W for one freaking watch that no one can buy? Seems like a huge waste of money.

VC- yawn... so unforgettable that I don't even remember what they did this year and it's only been a couple of days.

JLC- nice Reversos but nothing really special

IWC- I really like the Ingenieur. If I didn't already have an APRO, I would seriously consider getting the white dial one. I have no idea if they released anything else.

Patek- LOL... moving on.

Cartier- new Americaines and Santos are cool. Why can't Cartier make the large Santos in manual wind as a permanent part of their collection? Only the XL comes in manual wind while all the L manual winds are LE's. The various one shot Tank LC's are starting to get played out.

Why the hell is W&W a full week? After the first 2 days, the convention can wrap up. Nothing else to really see. Overall, the 2023 W&W was pretty weak compared to prior years.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Cartier makes you “upgrade” to a precious metal for all special orders.

I was originally thinking white gold for the santos, but really thinking about rose gold. Only thing, is I think it will look way worse than white gold with wear?

Plan is cream dial, guilloched, with heat blued Breguet style hands and blued Breguet numerals on 12, 3, 6 and 9.

Last edited:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There wasn't much that made me really stop and take notice, but I do like the new Daytona and "sex positive and sleazy" gold GMT Master II. I also really like the Ingenieur but agree the price is ludicrous. If the price were half what it is and I didn't have my Explorer, is take a hard look at buying one.

No one has talked about it here, maybe because it would reveal who is lower middle class NYC northeastern central Manhattan/Bronx, but the Oris ProPilot Altimeter (not the goofy green Kermit watch) is pretty cool for a toolish pilot watch. Carbon fiber case, mechanical altimeter complication, although 47mm.

1680172151135.png

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The gold GMT is incredible. Would I own it if I could? Probably not, but I love it.

The BB54 looks so good with the new curved case, and almost makes me regret not waiting when I bought my BB58 in December.

Though... the new OP with the coloured dial? Why.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
The BB54 is really interesting, maybe because at 37mm it looks less like a second class Submariner and has more character.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the subtle changes to the Daytona 126500. @Jmm722 can you grab one for me next time you are hanging out with your cousin? I'll venmo you the $16K now so you have it ready. No hurry, if it takes a week or two I'm fine with that 👍 .

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the goofy green Kermit watch
I like it exactly because it is goofy. I wouldn't want it as an every day watch, and I suspect the white indices on bright green are really hard to see in most situations, but it's silly and makes me smile. And it's surprisingly understated for a cartoon character themed watch.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The BB54 is really interesting, maybe because at 37mm it looks less like a second class Submariner and has more character.
That smaller case size really accentuates the vintage vibe for a watch like that, and it is timed perfectly with case sizes generally getting smaller currently (other than that Oris). It's not for me, but I suspect it will be another home run for Tudor in a year where the Pelagos 39 would be selling like hotcakes if it were actually at AD's in sufficient quantities.

A smaller 37mm vintage inspired dive watch will really stand out on the wrist due to its uniqueness in a world where 41-42mm is the norm for a dive watch.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Cartier makes you “upgrade” to a precious metal for all special orders.

I was originally thinking white gold for the santos, but really thinking about rose gold. Only thing, is I think it will look way worse than white gold with wear?

Plan is cream dial, guilloched, with heat blued Breguet style hands and blued Breguet numerals on 12, 3, 6 and 9.

Why do you think rose gold will look way worse than white gold with wear?

Overall, an interesting special order configuration, although I'm not really a huge fan of cream dials, especially with white gold. IMHO it would probably look better with rose gold (below is a previous generation Santo-Dumont in rose gold with cream dial and chocolate numerals).

watch_157849445054849.jpeg

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Overall, an interesting special order configuration, although I'm not really a huge fan of cream dials, especially with white gold. IMHO it would probably look better with rose gold (below is a previous generation Santo-Dumont in rose gold with cream dial and chocolate numerals).

Just thinking of the second hand rose gold watches I've purchased. The scratches on them look more out of place, etc VS white gold.

Good call on rose x cream though, that does look good..hmm :)

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

watch_157849445054849.jpeg
I think gold or rose gold would look great with a chocolate brown or black dial. Cartier makes that dark dial, but I don’t think it’s the right tone of black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads