• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That aquanaut annual… it is comically bad. Just had second glance at Pateks offerings. Pretty clear this years releases where out sourced to the local kindergarten - somewhere where oxygen is low…

symphvaria

Reaction score
Even though the new Ingenieur unofficially leaked about a day or two early, the embargo and the official reveal has only been today, so the masses have only begun to comment on it (and apparently namely the price) as of the announcement. My initial reaction to the stock photos that leaked was pretty negative; it looked like a much larger watch than the original due to the proportions, and I especially disliked the crown guards and the new center links of the bracelet.

One of the things that did change my mind slightly on this was seeing this direct side-by-side comparison of the original watch and the remake:
image0.png

IWC has actually been shockingly faithful to the size of the original Ingenieur, which I really wasn't expecting. No unnecessary upsizing, they'd have a near identical silhouette if not for the crown guards and the extra bracelet taper on the remake. Really nicely done on that front.

The other thing I was wondering about was if one of those Genta sketches like the ones for the Nautilus and the Royal Oak existed for the Ingenieur. I remember actually looking for this to reference against the design of the remake when those images first leaked, and came up with nothing. But here it is, hiding in IWC's official announcement video.
image.png

From it, it seems like Genta always intended for the 5 points to be aligned at 12, but IWC hadn't figured out how to pull that off until now. As far as the imperfect image resolution allows, it also seems like the checkerboard pattern on the dial may have been more IWC's idea than Genta's idea. It does leave me wishing that IWC had retained even more elements of the original, like the lugs of the case attaching to the bracelet via an outer link rather than a center link and the slimmer indices (but fatter hands).

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even though the new Ingenieur unofficially leaked about a day or two early, the embargo and the official reveal has only been today, so the masses have only begun to comment on it (and apparently namely the price) as of the announcement. My initial reaction to the stock photos that leaked was pretty negative; it looked like a much larger watch than the original due to the proportions, and I especially disliked the crown guards and the new center links of the bracelet.

One of the things that did change my mind slightly on this was seeing this direct side-by-side comparison of the original watch and the remake:
View attachment 1927773

IWC has actually been shockingly faithful to the size of the original Ingenieur, which I really wasn't expecting. No unnecessary upsizing, they'd have a near identical silhouette if not for the crown guards and the extra bracelet taper on the remake. Really nicely done on that front.

The other thing I was wondering about was if one of those Genta sketches like the ones for the Nautilus and the Royal Oak existed for the Ingenieur. I remember actually looking for this to reference against the design of the remake when those images first leaked, and came up with nothing. But here it is, hiding in IWC's official announcement video.
View attachment 1927775

From it, it seems like Genta always intended for the 5 points to be aligned at 12, but IWC hadn't figured out how to pull that off until now. As far as the imperfect image resolution allows, it also seems like the checkerboard pattern on the dial may have been more IWC's idea than Genta's idea. It does leave me wishing that IWC had retained even more elements of the original, like the lugs of the case attaching to the bracelet via an outer link rather than a center link and the slimmer indices (but fatter hands).

Agreed about the crown guards, so much better without.
The watch is nice though and, as you said, pretty faithful to the original.
After the abominations from Patek this is refreshing.

Edit:
I'm not a fan of the checkerboard pattern on the dial, but prefer the new case with the attaching by inner link, even though differing from Genta's design.

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That aquanaut annual… it is comically bad. Just had second glance at Pateks offerings. Pretty clear this years releases where out sourced to the local kindergarten - somewhere where oxygen is low…

Not even one single offering that I really like, the most being simply ugly.
The only ones I would save are the Aquanaut chronograph and the 5905, but its not something really new.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One talks mostly about Rolex and Patek, but there are other nice and valuable watches around.

For example, this Chopard L.U.C. XPS Twist Qualité Fleurier.

Screenshot (412).png

montecristo#2

Reaction score
View attachment 1927773

IWC has actually been shockingly faithful to the size of the original Ingenieur, which I really wasn't expecting.

Looks to me like someone is fudging this by holding the original closer to the camera.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1927773

View attachment 1927775

I feel like I'm the only one seeing this...does anyone notice that the new model is much closer to the mid-2010s 3239 model than it is to the original Genta design? Like, I would call the new model very minor, incremental changes on the outgoing model. Maybe the fully integrated case and simplification, dial refinement, and hands change.

Proportions, case size, and bracelet are all the same as the mid-2010s model.

What am I missing here? Just marketing spin or are there significant changes that align to the original Genta design?

Left is a 2013 model, right is the new release.
1680006042610.png

NonServiam

Reaction score
The new Daytona case looks a bit off in some pictures and videos. Stubby lugs and slab sides compared to the old case.
A42572C7-500E-4AD9-86EA-C415B71F38D4.jpeg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"...have been located..."

Yeah, I bet they have! Nothing strange about this. Totally seems reasonable...you know, just still sorting through old boxes no one thought to previously look through 15 years after his death... ---- or:

Auction House:"maybe you could locate some other watches he owned?"
Family: "Nope. There aren't any more."
AH: "Are you SURE?"
F: "Yes"
AH: "But are you _SURE_?"
F: "Oh....right..."

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A "better" view:

7081ab80-ccd5-11ed-afd7-a8dafa6b09e9

3fbf10a0-ccd5-11ed-bfbc-0f93b4a65713

7080e830-ccd5-11ed-a7df-225a87eb6bca

• Haha
Reactions: FPB

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads