• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having broken a ceramic dish, you’re correct. It explodes worse than glass and the pieces are as sharper or sharper and harder to collect because they’re smaller than glass usually is.

wow ! not my experience ...; the times i've broken glass have been disastrous , my stoneware spills have been pretty minor in comparison . even kaolin stuff ... maybe a super refined high fire porcelain could make a mess like that ? what did you drop , a lladro clown or something ?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1679710818306.png

Some dude on TRF did some sleuthing. Read through the thread, and he seems to know his stuff (I certainly know nothing about what he is talking about). In short...
  • New Daytona;
  • New Submariner;
  • New Day-Date variation (the orange dial);
  • A 40 mm Explorer;
  • New Skydweller;
  • New Yachtmaster (in TI);
  • New OP; and
  • New "1908" line.
The 40mm Explorer is interesting to me. According to my AD, he cannot give the 36mm away. Laughing, he said I could have as many steel and TT Explorers as I wanted.

The new Yachtmaster in TI is fascinating - I just hope it is the 40mm iteration of the Yachtmaster. If so... I will probably put my name down.

The 1908 line is apparently the new Cellini.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having broken a ceramic dish, you’re correct. It explodes worse than glass and the pieces are as sharper or sharper and harder to collect because they’re smaller than glass usually is.
Fractal properties of ceramics are quite different to glass, ceramics are far less fracturous than glass due to much longer crystalline structure.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyways watch ceramics are a bit different than like the fired clay type i'm reading ( i don't disagree with you on dropping stoneware ) ... it's not like a clay anyways they are engineered ceramics ... scratch resistant you can squeeze em but you can't drop em they don't do well

that's a very interesting drawback i wasn't aware of

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I got my Everest strap changing tool for the Tudor Pelagos. Holy hell. It took my thirty minutes to get the bracelet off. Rolex tolerances are absurdly tight. I put a Nato on, and then the rubber strap on (have to be careful with this word combo), before realizing that I never should have taken it off the bracelet. It is now back on the bracelet, but with a bunch of scratches near the lugs. Lesson learned.
I only switch between an oyster and a NATO on my Explorer II. I have given up trying to do this myself as the Rolex AD can do it much easier.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went slumming in Ginza today. Tried on the 6119 and was underwhelmed. But the 31mm 3796G I tried was superlative. The shittiest watch out there is an APRO that isn’t a 15202. All other iterations look like crap. 15500 has the proportions of a Flavor Flav clock, so it makes sense George Red bought it and wears it at Waffle House. If Ginza is any indication of the watch market, it’s not dipping further. There are numerous new shops that have just opened with massive inventory.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I went slumming in Ginza today. Tried on the 6119 and was underwhelmed. But the 31mm 3796G I tried was superlative. The shittiest watch out there is an APRO that isn’t a 15202. All other iterations look like crap. 15500 has the proportions of a Flavor Flav clock, so it makes sense George Red bought it and wears it at Waffle House. If Ginza is any indication of the watch market, it’s not dipping further. There are numerous new shops that have just opened with massive inventory.
They don’t have a Waffle House in Ginza IIRC. Spent some time in the area in 1995. Was more interested in Katana at the time. More expensive than watches.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don’t have a Waffle House in Ginza IIRC. Spent some time in the area in 1995. Was more interested in Katana at the time. More expensive than watches.
If only Ginza was classy enough to be graced with a Waffle House. There is a Hooters, so maybe that is a small consolation for the Americans on here. 1995? It must have been like an apocalypse shopping there back then.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
If only Ginza was classy enough to be graced with a Waffle House. There is a Hooters, so maybe that is a small consolation for the Americans on here. 1995? It must have been like an apocalypse shopping there back then.
Actually I was still young and it was my first time in Tokyo. I was staying at a friend’s place at Minato-ku. I liked to hang around the city during the day (while he was working as an expat), and Ginza was one of my favorite areas then. The evening with the friend was more festive, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Roppongi, well you know, what young gaijin used to do back then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads