• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
trying to find a moderately priced less formal dress watch that I dont have to worry about babying at all. Any thoughts on these 3?

I am very open to suggestion. Would like to keep it under 5k. Would like something elegant but “fun”.
View attachment 1891777

View attachment 1891779

View attachment 1891781

I would want to see the Sinn in person. I have the 556i with the same/similar blue dial and it's almost purple at times. It's sitting in my "I need to sell this watch" pile.

That Nomos is also going to wear really HUGE. I have yet to see a picture of that watch that did not look like someone has a big square clock strapped to their wrist.

Love the pictures of the Longines, but have not seen it in real life yet. The 40 mm size and the under 10 mm thinness would work well for dressier situations.

symphvaria

Reaction score
Stop overlooking the fact that the VCO is ugly AF!
Puhlease, people have been giving the RO a pass on looking ugly for 50 years now. I think the VCO can handle a little accounting for taste every once in a while.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As a whole, the Overseas line is much thicker than their respective Nautilus counterparts, even with the time only and travel/dual time models. My understanding is that the entire line is fundamentally built on the caliber 5100 and the complications are implemented by sandwich stacking AP style. This is also supposedly why the whole lineup has no hacking seconds — would get in the way of the modules needed for the 5110 DT and the 5200 chrono.

With the 4500V though, 11mm is not crazy thick (that’s 1mm thinner than a 36mm DJ) and you could very easily still slip it under a shirt cuff; so in the realm of practicality, not being 8mm like the 5811 is not a gigantic loss. I don’t think the same can be said for the 13.7mm of the 5500V.

So . . . once again, Patek is better?

But in seriousness, the movement can’t be the explanation. The automatic chrono calibers used by both companies are the same thickness. It was the first thing I thought to check.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Lizard23 , have you considered the Glashutte Original Senator Sixties?

(Not my pictures)

images

images

pmeis

Reaction score

symphvaria

Reaction score
So . . . one again, Patek is better?

But in seriousness, the movement can’t be the explanation. The automatic chrono calibers used by both companies are the same thickness. It was the first thing I thought to check.
Huh, interesting. The only other thing I can think of is the thickness of the bezel — the 7900V’s additional thickness relative to the 4500V is basically entirely in the bezel because of the extra 4th hand for the second time zone. Wonder if this affects the 5500V as well, though ultimately none of this accounts for the additional 1.5mm width either.

Except the RO is much better looking than the VCO.
Only if you’re going for a steampunk cosplay!

pmeis

Reaction score
I would want to see the Sinn in person. I have the 556i with the same/similar blue dial and it's almost purple at times. It's sitting in my "I need to sell this watch" pile.

That Nomos is also going to wear really HUGE. I have yet to see a picture of that watch that did not look like someone has a big square clock strapped to their wrist.

Love the pictures of the Longines, but have not seen it in real life yet. The 40 mm size and the under 10 mm thinness would work well for dressier situations.

Maybe you've just seen it on small wrists, but that Nomos does not wear that big. It's only a 33x33mm square, not 39mm as the name suggests. It wears about the same as a Medium Santos. Not the dress watch I would go for, but really HUGE would be an exaggeration IME.

PGS

Reaction score
trying to find a moderately priced less formal dress watch that I dont have to worry about babying at all. Any thoughts on these 3?

I am very open to suggestion. Would like to keep it under 5k. Would like something elegant but “fun”.
View attachment 1891777

View attachment 1891779

View attachment 1891781
How about any of the Grand Seiko variations on the SBGW231? Under $5k new, manual wind, 37mm and about 11mm thick, can be more or less fun depending on the dial variation.

Some examples:

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about any of the Grand Seiko variations on the SBGW231? Under $5k new, manual wind, 37mm and about 11mm thick, can be more or less fun depending on the dial variation.

Some examples:

This was on the list as well but my best buddy beat me to it and as silly as it sounds i would rather not follow in his footsteps. Even sillier, I also have a hard time with the GS font. I just cant get passed it.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Lizard23 , have you considered the Glashutte Original Senator Sixties?

(Not my pictures)

images

images

When I was at the GO AD in Vegas the guy said GO have stopped producing these. Better to check with an AD to see if you can find one new or else you'll have to go preowned.

Keep in mind GO only produces 20k a year.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you've just seen it on small wrists, but that Nomos does not wear that big. It's only a 33x33mm square, not 39mm as the name suggests. It wears about the same as a Medium Santos. Not the dress watch I would go for, but really HUGE would be an exaggeration IME.
The Santos has a much bigger bezel and smaller dial. The Tetra has virtually no bezel and a white dial with a 45 mm lug to lug measurement and a diagonal of 46 mm. I'm a huge Nomos fan and love my Orion 38 and Club Automat (40 mm), but the Tetra seems to wear much bigger than the more traditional Nomos offerings. Maybe it's the size of the dial and the square shape that is making me think it wears bigger than it might. I've never tried one on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads