• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connaught cap tied Oxfords in dark brown. Have them in black already.
Have those in mole suede with a rubber sole. Proper brothel creepers!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This could be a way more interesting post if it wasn’t about a watch.
A watch, cocktail, shoes, timeless art. Pick your poison.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Speaking of art, I’ve been to the Walter Sickert exhibit last week, and thought that painting was kind of pre-Hopper.

1F51080E-0192-42CE-82B4-83ED07762F59.jpeg

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sub and I enjoying a Rye Manhattan in Manhattan as wifey naps before dinner. Successful day with visit to Crockett & Jones and the smashing Hopper exhibit at the Whitney. My fav American painter.

View attachment 1888949
View attachment 1888951 View attachment 1888953

Note, this is exactly how a practitioner of modern espionage would spend their afternoon in Manhattan. Sub, cocktail, museum. You aren't fooling anyone. How many al qaeda and/or ISIS terrorists did you take down between the drink and the museum?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Promised I’d write more on the new Panerai. It’s a PAM 673, a limited edition of 1,000 that they made back in 2016. I actually hadn’t been planning to buy it, but I’ve been on the lookout for a 372 (a similar, non-limited model that was also discontinued) and my Patek AD happened to have this unworn 673 on trade-in, complete with box and papers. They are fairly rare to come by and it’s an even better rendition of vintage Panerai than the 372, so I pulled the trigger.

For those not familiar with Panerai, it probably looks just like any other. But actually it’s quite special in that it is a near one-for-one remake of the original 6152 from the 50’s.

See below for pics of my 673 on a new strap from this morning (on wrist), followed by a couple vintage 6152 examples.

9C664C38-1F33-465A-9DAD-09A38AF56803.jpeg

C1D675CF-A386-49C2-AD67-3818C8059127.jpeg

26D1AA68-8A10-4A1F-96D4-99ADFC032677.jpeg

E8FB1BA1-E00D-409D-B48E-FF316426EC76.jpeg

5E8E208B-59C6-4087-8BD6-A5B2ED258B59.jpeg

As you can see, a pretty close match! The size, proportions, dial layout, hands, etc. are dead-on.

It’s important to note that vintage, original Panerai number only in the hundreds and only came in a small handful of models, with what we today call the Radiomir and Luminor representing’s the lion’s share. There were minute variations within the so-called Luminor line, but they mostly came down to dial variations (e.g., “Luminor Panerai” vs. “Marina Militare” engravings). So, it’s a very crystallized iconography. Yet, Panerai almost never makes anything faithful to it!

Most modern Panerai Luminor models (from the 90’s onward) are made using the 44mm Bettarini case. Alessandro Bettarni designed it to be more “modern” and easier to manufacture than the originals:

6E313681-62D4-41B5-B2BD-7842091DCA6A.jpeg

As you can see, the middle case is rectangular and slab-sided. But the vintage models looked like this:

7BDB8CE5-C580-45FC-9EF3-B136EE99BE5A.jpeg

Much sexier! The case is 47mm (vintage accurate) and has many more curves and facets, as well as more slender and elegant lugs. Pictured is a modern 372, but it is truly a dead ringer for a 1950’s 6152 case.

This so-called 1950 case debuted in 2002 on the PAM 127, a limited edition of 1,950—also commonly known as the “Fiddy”.

27FCC02B-40CF-46D7-BE6A-315F71EF6671.jpeg

If I recall correctly, these retailed for ~$8K. In the depths of Panerai craze, they were trading for $20K+. This was driven by the fact that the 127 was, at the time, considered the most faithful remake of the original 6152 available and thus the “ultimate” modern Panerai. For a while, Panerai didn’t reuse the case on any other watch, but then brought it back out in the mid/late 00’s to pair with their newly launched line of in-house movements. However due to the various complications, extra functions, and contemporary aesthetic cues of these watches, none re-captured the magic of the 6152 or even the Fiddy.

Then, in 2013, Panerai finally launched the PAM 372:

834AB279-5634-4ECD-9166-FEC815B84234.jpeg

It was just about perfect. In fact, it is even more accurate to the originals than the Fiddy—no sub-seconds, no “1950” on the dial, and a refined case profile. Further, despite the fact that Panerai originally alluded to a limited production run of 3,000, it seems they decided just to keep making as many as they could sell. The original version had a classic acrylic crystal; they switched to sapphire by the mid/late 2010’s. It was ultimately discontinued by 2020, but by then nobody was really buying the watch, as Panerai had dramatically changed as a company and the loyal enthusiast base more or less evaporated.

That’s why, to this day, whenever someone asks for a Panerai recommendation, I point to the 372 almost automatically. It is Panerai at its purest, yet readily available and reasonably priced. If someone doesn’t get the 372, they don’t really get Panerai.

I actually had one for a number of years. What a cool watch! I forgot why I sold it, but probably to fund something else. My timing was just all off. In 2016, when the 372 was still in my collection, Panerai released an even more perfect watch, the 673. As great as the 372 was, one could nitpick: the hands were too chunky compared to vintage, “Luminor Panerai” was a bit big on the dial and not the most desirable engraving, etc.

In contrast, the 673 was without fault. They installed skinnier hands, made the engraving smaller, and changed it to “Marina Militare”—just as on the original 6152s issued to the Italian navy. The dial doesn’t even say Panerai anywhere! The icing on top? A proper acrylic crystal. All truly too good to be true. I believe this watch only came out because Panerai was undergoing a bit of an identity crisis at the time and willing to do anything to shore up sales and hype.

Anyway, I didn’t buy it back then because I already had the 372. So, years later (a couple days ago), I couldn’t resist when a perfect, complete, unworn 673 literally popped up in front of me.

Not sure what the market value is, as they seem to rarely come up for sale, but I definitely paid a premium over what I would have for a 372.

I’m not a Panerai groupie or anything, but I have always loved the story and design. Short of going vintage, for me, it doesn’t really get better than this.

09FA101D-F364-40A5-9F54-F977B2516468.jpeg

Last edited:

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pointless power reserve that’s ugly, slightly less pointless date window that’s also ugly, oversized crown, and I’ve never understood why Seiko insist on pairing dauphine hands with rectangular indices. Also spring drive — controversial!
Good points but I still like it.

Why is Spring Drive controversial?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 6152 is Mil-Sub cool and probably fetches a similar price. IIRC they had an oyster case and Rolex movement. Of all the Panerai variants, I'd agree that the 673 is highly coveted, uniquely collectable and looks amazing. I just can't see wearing a 47mm watch but it sure is sexy. That massively domed crystal is gorgeous!

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s inherently regulated by quartz, which kind of defeats the purpose of the art of mechanical timekeeping.
Quartz in general doesn't bother me. With Spring Drive the movement is nicely finished and the seconds hand is floating beautifully. To me it's like hybrid cars the best of two worlds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads