• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice watch, I would like it even more without those silly, pretentious stars.
you sound like my brother complaining about Tissot's "1853" on the dial. to hear him talk about it, you'd think it's as big as an ALS date.
that said i was with you on that at first, but it doesn't bother me now. would have to see how i like it in person of course.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you sound like my brother complaining about Tissot's "1853" on the dial. to hear him talk about it, you'd think it's as big as an ALS date.
that said i was with you on that at first, but it doesn't bother me now. would have to see how i like it in person of course.

Sometimes text is very bothering to me, the more when it's absolutely redundant. A serious brand just needs to put its name on the dial.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes text is very bothering to me, the more when it's absolutely redundant. A serious brand just needs to put its name on the dial.
Even small things can be distracting. I like these Longines watches but the little line of stars is a bit annoying. First World problem, I agree.

Capture.JPG

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex disagrees with you. How else would you know that you have a:
Rolex
Oyster Perpetual
Superlative Chronometer
Officially Certified
Cosmograph

Daytona

In fact, totally redundant, totally bothering.

By the way, I genuinely don't understand how the (current) Daytona is so much desired.

pmeis

Reaction score
a) He has Aurel Bacs on speed dial
b) I've seen him wear a bunch of those watches, so we'll have to agree to disagree on that point.
c) My broader point is that if you're selling your personal watches to maintain your business (or whatever), things don't look so good...real estate prices are falling, but rates a rising, so what you're gaining in the end price is being lost in the mortgage rate, no? Perhaps he's trying do the entire deal in cash, though? Anyway, just seems odd (to me...)
A) doesn't matter who he has on speed dial, everything that I've always read about these auctions has indicated that they are planned months in advance, if not a full year.

Regarding C, from what he says at least, he doesn't have to do this to maintain his business, but he wants to own instead of rent. He hasn't indicated that he can't afford to keep renting. It also feels like Mark has a significantly high chunk of his own personal assets tied up into watches.

I'm more amazed at how he was able to amass such a collection. Yes, I know he says he bought a lot when prices were low, but I guess his business is extremely more profitable than I would have normally imagined.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dealers will be selling the CPO products with boxes and papers, which is why I mentioned it as "laundering." The papers will be different papers and the boxes will be brand new but I don't think that's really going to change the value. Maybe some people value the old boxes for vintage pieces, but for relatively recent watches like my Explorer, I doubt anyone cares whether it's a 2016 box or a 2022 box. Also, they will come with a 2 year warranty, which older pieces won't have.

I presumed, perhaps incorrectly, that if someone sells their watch to the Rolex Certified Pre-Owned Program and they have the original box and papers, the new buyer will get those in addition to the new certificate, which authenticates it and provides it will a new 2 year warranty. So all of these CPO Rolex watches have the 2 year warranty (just some would have all the original papers and boxes in addition to the certificate). But perhaps we don't have all the details yet.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the UK Bucherer site, where the program is already active, one can make a couple of initial observations.

-- There is a preponderance of precious metal and/or gem-set watches, which as we know are hardly the brand's best sellers. Easily 90% of the stainless steel offering is Datejusts.

-- Pricing is not very attractive. Random example a 116619 Smurf CPO for £49K where Chrono24 has a 2020 with B&P from a 4.9-rated seller for £36K.

-- They don't list the year of manufacture, which seems deliberately obtuse.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This Rolex CPO thing is going to lead to some interesting conversations :

Customer- Hi, I’d like to buy a black dialed Daytona!

Dealer- Sorry, we won’t get a new one for another year and there are 20 people in line ahead of you. But you’re in luck, we just got a CPO model in and it’s only $30k..

Customer-:oops:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Rolex CPO thing is going to lead to some interesting conversations :

Customer- Hi, I’d like to buy a black dialed Daytona!

Dealer- Sorry, we won’t get a new one for another year and there are 20 people in line ahead of you. But you’re in luck, we just got a CPO model in and it’s only $30k..

Customer-:oops:
Probably explains why Govberg got a lot of their AD statuses pulled once they started pimping the **** out of their Watchbox inventory.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably explains why Govberg got a lot of their AD statuses pulled once they started pimping the **** out of their Watchbox inventory.

That's the one of my big problems with Govberg...I don't mind building up a purchase history to get a high demand piece, but they dont have ANY brands that really interest me aside from Rolex and Patek

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the one of my big problems with Govberg...I don't mind building up a purchase history to get a high demand piece, but they dont have ANY brands that really interest me aside from Rolex and Patek
They used to have AD status for quite a few brands with a bunch of Richemont trash, Swatch garbage, independent brands, Rolex, and Patek. Now they barely have ****.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They used to have AD status for quite a few brands with a bunch of Richemont trash, Swatch garbage, independent brands, Rolex, and Patek. Now they barely have ****.
Probably indicates that the secondary market was much more profitable for them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics