• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also use an Instagram account to follow and watch the content of other people. Never post photos or anything. I have a feeling that’s not rare.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrong.

Tank LC over classic Reverso.
It should be a federal crime with serious mandatory, minimum prison time for dudes to wear Tanks - UNLESS you’re really tiny, in which case you still get convicted but just get probation because you picked a Tank over a Reverso. Anyway…
E15BFE5B-8372-41A7-A2C0-31D3B8F56D27.jpeg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should be a federal crime with serious mandatory, minimum prison time for dudes to wear Tanks - UNLESS you’re really tiny, in which case you still get convicted but just get probation because you picked a Tank over a Reverso. Anyway…
View attachment 1840545
Sorry I'm not massively fat and I have a perfect muscular physique.

Also, nice piece of Richemont trash but I'm still taking Tank LC trash over Reverso trash.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like such a dork asking this, because for so long I've clung to my perch of snobbery and taken great pleasure in condescendingly telling people, "Oh... I don't use Instagram." Well, I finally made an Instagram account to follow some very specific sports and other accounts (like my son's school). Don't plan to post anything (I like to watch)

So my question is: any cool watch-related Instagram accounts to follow? Not looking for actual brand accounts or "hype beast" accounts.
Arnold Putra is horrifying but also in a certain sense real art. Companion piece to the late Andre Vltcheks "filming in the most depressing city on earth" essay. It's very much Richard Mille city but in their natural environment, but also fake/posed, or sufficiently ambiguous.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1840545
In your dystopian vision for the world, I would be on double secret probation, but I have to say that particular version of the Reverso in your photo with the moonphase is the ideal. I also think the Tank and Reverso are different enough watches that having one doesn't make the other redundant (not that that stops most watch enthusiasts anyway).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also use an Instagram account to follow and watch the content of other people. Never post photos or anything. I have a feeling that’s not rare.
same here.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In your dystopian vision for the world, I would be on double secret probation, but I have to say that particular version of the Reverso in your photo with the moonphase is the ideal. I also think the Tank and Reverso are different enough watches that having one doesn't make the other redundant (not that that stops most watch enthusiasts anyway).
* frantically calls Reverso police to snitch *

Pandaros

Reaction score
I want to buy a Rolex. I never thought I'd say those words. I never thought the possibility of doing so would occur. I never thought I could afford one. And it's been circling in my mind for the last two weeks since I got a pay rise.

Since 2017 I've gone from earning minimum wage part-time in McDonalds (humiliating after I finished my PhD and my lecturing contract ran out and it was all I could get) to just now gaining a salary that's inside the top 5% for the country (not, thankfully, in a McDonalds role). It's been a huge amount of effort on so many levels, so much time dedicated to delivering results and showing value, upskilling and learning and moving across industries - and all the countless sacrifices made. And I feel proud of where I've got to. I like my job. I'm good at it.

I don't own my small and cramped but still very expensive rented apartment. I don't have a car, because I'd have to run it, maintain it, and find somewhere to park it. I can't afford a mortgage to buy in a safe part of the city. I'm stuck between an overpriced and poor value rental market and a housing market that I don't know how anyone can afford to buy anything nice in. And there's no space to feel like I've made it.

I've always lived very frugally and I've never been materialistic - always been a buyer of longevity and quality. But the idea of getting a Rolex is totally superficial -- my way of saying to myself that despite not having all of the above, I've done well. I am a success. And I want the Rolex not because I so much admire the craftsmanship or because I think it's by far the most beautiful watch out there - but because that's what it means to me having seen men when I was younger and down-and-out wearing them. That it's a brand I've heard of since I was little that stood for success. And I can now be one of those people even if I haven't been able to get everything else right.

And these feelings are so unlike me that I'm questioning whether these are valid reasons? That it's reasonable for me to splurge a large portion of my post-Christmas bonus on an Oyster Perpetual (it is the nicest IMO after the out-of-my-league Cellini moonphase)?

And I'm so unfamiliar with such luxury goods that I don't even know how to go about buying one. If my reasons to get one are good reasons, should I go to the store ASAP to get on the waiting list? Does the store take the money upfront? Can I expect them to let me try it on - or if there's a waiting list, may they not have the correct model? Are there hidden traps the store has to try and get more money out of you? Should it be insured?

Sorry, I'm rambling. But I don't know anywhere else that gives you sound advice on these things, and google gives you meaningless and contradictory information.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And these feelings are so unlike me that I'm questioning whether these are valid reasons? That it's reasonable for me to splurge a large portion of my post-Christmas bonus on an Oyster Perpetual (it is the nicest IMO after the out-of-my-league Cellini moonphase)?
First of all, congrats on the hard work and success. I would ask, what is a "valid reason"? And why do you feel the need to validate the purchase? All other things being equal, assuming it's not a financially irresponsible decision based on your personal situation, what reason do you need other than you want it? Your post seems like you're trying to talk yourself into it, and you know you want it, but you want someone else to give you the approval.

And I'm so unfamiliar with such luxury goods that I don't even know how to go about buying one. If my reasons to get one are good reasons, should I go to the store ASAP to get on the waiting list? Does the store take the money upfront? Can I expect them to let me try it on - or if there's a waiting list, may they not have the correct model? Are there hidden traps the store has to try and get more money out of you? Should it be insured?
This is probably what will be the real barrier to your purchase...

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like such a dork asking this, because for so long I've clung to my perch of snobbery and taken great pleasure in condescendingly telling people, "Oh... I don't use Instagram." Well, I finally made an Instagram account to follow some very specific sports and other accounts (like my son's school). Don't plan to post anything (I like to watch)

So my question is: any cool watch-related Instagram accounts to follow? Not looking for actual brand accounts or "hype beast" accounts.

"watches of espionage" has some cool stories, "watchology" has some great Cartier content, "RGM watches" is one of the few independent US-based watch makers, "brodinkee" for some watch humor stuff

Plus Jack Forester and Tim Mosso for their encyclopedic knowledge

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads