• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mosso is a walking watch encyclopedia and Forster is a great writer. It will be interesting to see their videos together.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
Why do I love this so much for the summer months?

896A723D-DF9E-4DD3-AB6B-4E90D21987F1.jpeg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve listened to a few podcasts with Tim, and he is very clearly a very intelligent person. I am jealous of how fast he is able to think on his feet. The fact that he does 10 of his 5 minute videos in a row with no preparation is honestly insane.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve listened to a few podcasts with Tim, and he is very clearly a very intelligent person. I am jealous of how fast he is able to think on his feet. The fact that he does 10 of his 5 minute videos in a row with no preparation is honestly insane.
Some of his older youtube videos that I've run across he has a more normal cadence with more pauses. So I'm guessing the 10,000 hour rule kicked in at some point from sheer volume of those videos that he's done

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watching the finish of an F1 race is funny when the podium driver's post race routine includes replacing steering wheel, removing helmet/HANS device, weigh-in and immediately donning their sponsor's watch before any pictures can be taken.

IIRC, when you see the onboard camera from Hamilton's car and you see his hands on the steering wheel, there is the image of an IWC watch printed on the left sleeve of his race suit. Then later he don's the real thing. I haven't noticed that with other teams.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, blah, blah, blah, people love to crap on the 5226G. The dial looks like asphalt! It looks like a Hamilton/Longines/etc.!

View attachment 1823318

Sure, those impressions are not wrong. However, this article on SJX really jibes with my impressions:

And specifically, the following paragraphs:

There are watches that stick with you, and watches that do not. This one really has.

I think the Clous de Paris on the sides of the case is kind of cool. As for the rest of the watch, not a fan. But no watch can be everything to everyone.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Clous de Paris on the sides of the case is kind of cool. As for the rest of the watch, not a fan. But no watch can be everything to everyone.

Yeah, I definitely get it. It is a fairly divisive watch. However, I do think that a divisive design is never a bad thing.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Patek is like any other luxury item. If I buy one, I want my peers to immediately recognize it as such. No such thing as "quiet luxury" for me.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aside from the Nautilus/Aquanaut, though, I do not find that a lot of Pateks are immediately recognizable.

I actually have a theory, which is based on a whole lot of supposition. Over the past 10-20 years, I think that brands - in particular, Patek - have targeted an existing, narrow client base that will acquire multiple models, as opposed to a wider client base that might acquire 1 Patek. In response to that, I think that a lot of offerings are designed to be different from the other offerings. A lot of older Patek was distinctly Patek. A lot of newer Patek is... not so much the case? Lots of color variations, interesting cases, dial textures, different types of watches, etc. Very few watches, in my opinion, represent an evolution on existing designs, instead, there is a lot of reinterpretation.

That said, I do appreciate that Patek tries to create watches that are rooted in the present. Rolex, on the other hand, creates watches that are an evolution of existing designs. Tudor, in contrast (and with the exception of, say, the Pelagos line), continuously issues heritage watches. Patek, to me, uses their archive to create modern watches. I'm not sure all of them will age well - but this is less boring than, say, churning out minor evolutions of the greatest hits.

I think that Omega does a good job of this.

Sorry for the word vomit, have a noon call.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads