• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the IWC pilot watch to get? MKXII? They are pretty cheap it seems. Did they come with a bracelet? Please educate me. I prefer used and neovintage.
I think Mark XV was mentioned here repeatedly as the one to get.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
What is the IWC pilot watch to get? MKXII? They are pretty cheap it seems. Did they come with a bracelet? Please educate me. I prefer used and neovintage.
Far from being an expert, but i like a pilot watch. Not sure IWC are still doing the MKXII but you can apparently find one second hand between €1500 - 2500.

I prefer Stowa because they are doing a no logo version (if you want), and they are also (like IWC) one of the original "Flieger" brands. IIRC they are also cheaper, and they are doing a 36mm version too (not sure IWC does).
Stowa 36-40.png

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Mark XII had an optional steel bracelet. It's not a beads of rice style, but the links were smaller and narrower than the "Pyramid" links of the bracelets on early 3706 and 3713 Flieger and Doppel chronographs. When new, I almost always saw the Mark XII on straps rather than bracelets. I believe the Mark XII used a JLC base, and some people complained about it having issues. Not sure, if that was something that was resolved or not. Later models (edit: Fliegers after the Mark XII) used ETA movements. I liked these old IWCs of the 90's and early 2000s far more than what is offered today.

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mark XI is the quintessential IWC pilots watch that was actually issued to RAF pilots. I've wanted one for awhile. If you don't want to go vintage, I recommend the XII or the XV. The date window appears irregularly placed in later models.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As nice as the Mk XII is, I went with the Mk XV as for me it's the perfect size for this kind of watch, with its 38mm (the Mk XII is 36mm, IIRC). It's also the last 'Mark' watch by IWC to keep most of the original design cues of the 6B/346 specification set by the British Air Ministry for the Mark 11 in 1948.

Old pic of mine, worn on a black nato:

1660670272386.png

When I started looking for it 12 years ago, I made a thread over here. It has links to some info on the history of the Mark watches, specifically in post #44, around here.

Last edited:

montecristo#2

Reaction score
For discussion — Is it a bad idea to take my AR shooting at the range while wearing my Breguet XX?

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For discussion — Is it a bad idea to take my AR shooting at the range while wearing my Breguet XX?
Shooting .223 or 5.56? Probably not. 300 Blackout or some other weird cartridge? Maybe, but I doubt it...

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand the iconic status of IWC pilots, but I have had a love/hate relationship with them. It doesn't help that they tend not to look good on my wrist. I'm more partial to Sinn's flieger offerings.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand the iconic status of IWC pilots, but I have had a love/hate relationship with them. It doesn't help that they tend not to look good on my wrist. I'm more partial to Sinn's flieger offerings.
But remember...soft-iron inner case is the end all be all of Richemont.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As nice as the Mk XII is, I went with the Mk XV as for me it's the perfect size for this kind of watch, with its 38mm (the Mk XII is 36mm, IIRC). It's also the last 'Mark' watch by IWC to keep most of the original design cues of the 6B/346 specification set by the British Air Ministry for the Mark 11 in 1948.

Old pic of mine, worn on a black nato:

View attachment 1822943

When I started looking for it 12 years ago, I made a thread over here. It has links to some info on the history of the Mark watches, specifically in post #44, around here.

That is a stellar shot. I really like this with the pyramid bracelet Dino mentioned. It seems like there are two styles--one with pyramid style segments in the second and fourth row and one with pyramid segments in all five. I like the latter one.

I might try to track one of these down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics