• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the late 90's I went out with someone who's uncle owned a car dealership. I can remember going to the dealership and the sales manager had a blue steel and gold Sub Date. The first thing he noticed was my steel Daytona, and he said, "I want one of those so bad...but I have one in steel and gold." Another time I went to a family dinner and my gf's cousin who also worked at the dealership grabbed my wrist and said, "Nice watch!"

Years later I was at an Italian car show. I started chatting with this nice older guy who was parked next to me, who also owned a 328GTS. He was wearing a Patek Perpetual Calendar. Later I found out he was the owner of a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep dealership.

So I guess car dealership guys are still watch guys.
Gear is gear. Easy overlap between cars, planes, boats, and watches. All take money as well of course.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gear is gear. Easy overlap between cars, planes, boats, and watches. All take money as well of course.

True, my dad and I were always car and watch guys. Although, in my area (and I've belonged to various car brand clubs) there seems to be less overlap/fewer car guys who are also watch guys. I have more online friends who are into both cars and watches.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I took my almost peak Porsche in for the first service, the service advisor was wearing an IWC. I would call it a pilot watch but I'm not sure what qualifies as a pilot watch now.

When I was a kid in the early 80's we went to a dealership that sold BMW, Datsun, Chrysler, Jeep and Ferrari, so that my dad could test drive a new BMW. The sales manager was wearing a steel Sub Date, and he let me go for a ride in his Dino 246GTS (Targa). That was the first Italian car I ever got a ride in, and the sound of the engine and watching him used the gated shifter, it was practically a religious experience for 11 year old me!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, my dad and I were always car and watch guys. Although, in my area (and I've belonged to various car brand clubs) there seems to be less overlap/fewer car guys who are also watch guys. I have more online friends who are into both cars and watches.
Good read in the Atlantic yesterday. My current car is a stick shift and likely the last ICE car I'll ever own. Wifey and I eyeing EVs.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good read in the Atlantic yesterday. My current car is a stick shift and likely the last ICE car I'll ever own. Wifey and I eyeing EVs.

I love a manual in a sports car and I daily drove one for over a decade when I was younger. However, towards the end of my daily driving that car there was so much traffic in my daily commute, that the last 10 miles of my commute could take an hour and it was all stop and go. So any automatic became more practical for daily driving, and a manual just for weekends. Still there is nothing like rowing your own gears on nice winding back roads!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the late 90's I went out with someone who's uncle owned a car dealership. I can remember going to the dealership and the sales manager had a blue steel and gold Sub Date. The first thing he noticed was my steel Daytona, and he said, "I want one of those so bad...but I have one in steel and gold." Another time I went to a family dinner and my gf's cousin who also worked at the dealership grabbed my wrist and said, "Nice watch!"

Years later I was at an Italian car show. I started chatting with this nice older guy who was parked next to me, who also owned a 328GTS. He was wearing a Patek Perpetual Calendar. Later I found out he was the owner of a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep dealership.

So I guess car dealership guys are still watch guys.

I was visiting Dallas for trade shows regularly in the 80's after the oil and gas boom. There is a reason why they called the gold Rolex President a "Texas Timex". They were everywhere. Plenty with diamond bezels.

In the mid-late 90's when meeting Tech guys I would see a lot of all gold Rolex models on Sr Sales execs before the bubble and when Sales still wore jackets and ties.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My steel Santos on a new blue rubber strap from the PVD Santos model.

Also saw this watch box I think like the one Foo bought. Thankfully, it doesn't hold enough watches for me, so it saved me a lot of $$$ ;) .

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was visiting Dallas for trade shows regularly in the 80's after the oil and gas boom. There is a reason why they called the gold Rolex President a "Texas Timex". They were everywhere. Plenty with diamond bezels.

In the mid-late 90's when meeting Tech guys I would see a lot of all gold Rolex models on Sr Sales execs before the bubble and when Sales still wore jackets and ties.

Yes, I had heard that in Dallas they called the Rolex Day-Date/President a "Texas Timex," and they called a steel and gold Rolex - "Half a Rolex." :rotflmao:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love a manual in a sports car and I daily drove one for over a decade when I was younger. However, towards the end of my daily driving that car there was so much traffic in my daily commute, that the last 10 miles of my commute could take an hour and it was all stop and go. So any automatic became more practical for daily driving, and a manual just for weekends. Still there is nothing like rowing your own gears on nice winding back roads!

My wife is a great driver and owned over a dozen 70's, 80's British and German sports cars. She LOVES a manual shift.

pmeis

Reaction score
Three month check in with my Armin Strom. I still love it! Despite some impracticalities, I have a hard time not wearing it everyday. As nice as the Saxonia Slim might have been to own, I don't think I would have worn it a third as much as this.

BlairW

Reaction score

Most european manufacturers aren’t releasing any more ICE vehicles after 2025-2030, only EVs. They’ll still be selling them alongside for awhile but once the model ends that will be it. So get ya last ICE cars while you can!

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most european manufacturers aren’t releasing any more ICE vehicles after 2025-2030, only EVs. They’ll still be selling them alongside for awhile but once the model ends that will be it. So get ya last ICE cars while you can!
No new ICE cars will be sold in the U.K. after 2030 and I think the EU is doing the same.

I’ve got an auto in my daily 3 series and a manual in my 911. A good auto is brilliant in a daily, but I don’t think I’d enjoy the 911 as much if it wasn’t manual.

BlairW

Reaction score
No new ICE cars will be sold in the U.K. after 2030 and I think the EU is doing the same.

I’ve got an auto in my daily 3 series and a manual in my 911. A good auto is brilliant in a daily, but I don’t think I’d enjoy the 911 as much if it wasn’t manual.
Totally agree. I’ve got a manual 911 too and it’s the perfect foil for all the other super modern cars I’m lucky enough to be able to drive.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys really think this will come to fruition?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads