• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know who performs ebay's authentication checks? Or has any experience with the service?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The new GS 44GS is a fantastic effort. No reason not to use the 44GS case (or some iteration of it) for every single GS model—it would imbue the brand with sorely lacking aesthetic cohesion and focus. It’s a very versatile case.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new GS 44GS is a fantastic effort. No reason not to use the 44GS case (or some iteration of it) for every single GS model—it would imbue the brand with sorely lacking aesthetic cohesion and focus. It’s a very versatile case.

You say fantastic effort - that is an interesting choice of words implying, perhaps, that there might be room for improvement?

I agree, the 44gs case, particularly at the smaller size, is lovely.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You say fantastic effort - that is an interesting choice of words implying, perhaps, that there might be room for improvement?

I agree, the 44gs case, particularly at the smaller size, is lovely.

Rudimentary movement and weird they didn’t just go with the 37.5mm size of the original.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rudimentary movement and weird they didn’t just go with the 37.5mm size of the original.

I agree about the 37.5mm sizing. However, I'm fine with 36.5mm (honestly, I do not know how the original wears). I kind of forgot the points about the movement being rudimentary. But I remember you discussing them before (and I feel I agreed with the take). At least this one is regulated to a respectable degree.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
DFD4C84E-9F3D-4F58-824A-B1049305708D.jpeg F95B4BAD-32A3-47CF-BD03-8C2453F5B4EE.jpeg

finally able to take this one home after a service and new bracelet fitted to the original clasp. 1990 Tank Louis with moon phase. Spent a while searching for the right watch for my wife but we’re both very happy with this. It’s quite charming in person.

BlairW

Reaction score
Spent the weekend in Boston and saw a bunch of friends. We had dinner at Scampo the first night and there were plenty of nice watches. The guy at the table next to me was wearing a 36mm Day-Date with a diamond dial. There was also a guy wearing a platinum Daytona and someone at another table was wearing a Speedy. Over the weekend I saw several guys wearing Subs, a guy wearing a Cartier Roadster chronograph, someone wearing a rg RO on a strap and someone wearing a 5711A/1.

I was at a conference over the weekend with some fellow car dealers and saw some nice watches too; a GMT batman, a 3861 Moonwatch, a vintage two-tone datejust and about 45,000 subs. Car dealers love their watches..

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at a conference over the weekend with some fellow car dealers and saw some nice watches too; a GMT batman, a 3861 Moonwatch, a vintage two-tone datejust and about 45,000 subs. Car dealers love their watches..
Funny you mention that. When I was in the finance office buying a car last month we spent a good 20 minutes talking watches.

His knowledge stopped at Rolex however. When I mentioned that I’d bought a moonwatch he looked perplexed and said, “sky dweller?”

Schwazer

Reaction score
Dizzy Gillespie with Rolex GMT Master.

Dizzy-Gillespie-Rolex-GMT-Master-1961.jpg

Miles Davis with the Gold Rolex Day-Date.

Miles-Davis-Yellow-Gold-Rolex-Day-Date.jpg

pmeis

Reaction score

62GS case is IMO, more wearable across a range of sizes and just as interesting. I like both cases, but would agree with you on the rest of the case designs. The Snowflake, for all the love it gets, features an incredibly generic case design.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
62GS case is IMO, more wearable across a range of sizes and just as interesting. I like both cases, but would agree with you on the rest of the case designs. The Snowflake, for all the love it gets, features an incredibly generic case design.

62GS looks like a badly butchered Omega lyre lug case to me. Also, it’s a bit dressier.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Back in the late 90's I went out with someone who's uncle owned a car dealership. I can remember going to the dealership and the sales manager had a blue steel and gold Sub Date. The first thing he noticed was my steel Daytona, and he said, "I want one of those so bad...but I have one in steel and gold." Another time I went to a family dinner and my gf's cousin who also worked at the dealership grabbed my wrist and said, "Nice watch!"

Years later I was at an Italian car show. I started chatting with this nice older guy who was parked next to me, who also owned a 328GTS. He was wearing a Patek Perpetual Calendar. Later I found out he was the owner of a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep dealership.

So I guess car dealership guys are still watch guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads