• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m sure this has been discussed, but I’m wondering how heretical it would be to opt for the Tank LC with quartz vs mechanical? I really like the yellow gold and think it might be nice to have a watch that - given it won’t be a daily and I like it primarily for its design - is just always going and enables a much wider service interval. Or… should I just get the mechanical in rose because, well, because it’s just a better movement? Thoughts?

If you really like yellow gold, consider looking for a vintage piece model with mechanical movement. Personally, I'd do that or buy a new one in rose gold. If you are only wearing it once in a while, then the benefit of never needing to wind it/set the time is minimal. Obviously, buy what you like, but I tend to struggle to see a good reason to spend roughly $10K on a watch with a quartz movement. Wishing you lots of luck with whatever you decide.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some fun stuff from the Delugs sale. Color 8 Horween Chromexcel on the left.
E6A59A85-1726-4231-8F39-553B17D81EFB.jpeg

Bonus pic to compare the size of the medium Santos to the large Tank Must.
D3EB6BE6-CDCA-48B2-A59F-AC8765971928.jpeg

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New gronefeld sold out almost instantly. It's beautiful. The fidget spinner on the front side is so cool. These are hard watches to photograph well. My 1941 lights up wayyyyy more than the other similarly priced watches I've had as they polish the fk out of everything.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
New gronefeld sold out almost instantly. It's beautiful. The fidget spinner on the front side is so cool. These are hard watches to photograph well. My 1941 lights up wayyyyy more than the other similarly priced watches I've had as they polish the fk out of everything.

Gronograaf? Really?

Actually that is a pretty spectacular watch.

Last edited:

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Terrible choice of name. Terrific watch in every other way. I guess it makes sense for those who are done with their Patek collections and need to look elsewhere. Begs the question though - why 150K .. why not ask for 200. They obviously knew it would all sell out.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really like the look of this one.

Attachments

• C081AC47-E8D3-4F3C-9027-CA46A7284089.jpeg
    C081AC47-E8D3-4F3C-9027-CA46A7284089.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 78

BlairW

Reaction score
For you guys travelling internationally for business, with (relatively) expensive watches, would these travel insurance limitations be of concern for you? I'm talking about a watch worth around $15K NZD (approx $10k USD) And, if so, would you be looking at another insurance company, or some form of additional, more specific cover?
Capture.PNG

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For you guys travelling internationally for business, with (relatively) expensive watches, would these travel insurance limitations be of concern for you? I'm talking about a watch worth around $15K NZD (approx $10k USD) And, if so, would you be looking at another insurance company, or some form of additional, more specific cover?
View attachment 1810278
Specific Cover. Each watch of mine is listed and covered independently.

And what on earth is Emergency Baggage?

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my view, the 5205 is one of the best watches introduced by Patek in the past decade or longer under, perhaps, six figures. I think the 5230P and 5231J/G are some of the other great watches in the, ahem, introductory price range. However, I agree that the 5205 is the greatest candidate for "truly modern version of a Patek" that you speak of.

Otherwise, I share your perspective. A lot of the current catalogue does not excite me very much. I think they have fully transitioned to the age of Thierry and, in my view, he has not fully hit his stride or reached his apex. Personally, I am excited/interested to see where he goes, because I believe his vision is different from his father's vision, but I am not certain that his vision is fully realized (personally, I think there was a shift in Patek starting in 2015, with the Pilot's watch - but I do not believe that shift is complete). I do not know if any watch released in the last decade is destined to be an all-time great - but maybe that perspective will change in time. By way of example, a PC and PCC is on the dream list for me, but I would not purchase this generation of PC or PCC.

I wonder, however, if this feeling is spurred by our miopic view of the current catalogue. Not all Pateks are destined to be Greats - in fact, over the past 30-40 years, there are not very many "Great" references. There are some fantastic watches, certainly, but an all-time classic will not be released every year, year after year. I also think, just like the watch industry on the whole, that drop culture, and the expectation of numerous yearly novelties, means that there is less time to develop novel watches that are well-designed. I am sure that there is considerable design fatigue. I would be fascinated to see what the watch industry would look like if the companies were not expected to churn out novelties year-after-year - and instead, released novelties when an idea was fully baked. We all know this, but you see similar fatigue with designers.

Personally, I do like the 5226, but you are right that it does not feel like a "truly modern version of a Patek". I am not sure what it feels like. I really expected to hate it, and wanted to hate it, but it is nonetheless pretty awesome in the flesh.

Rolex, particularly in the last 20-30 years, has become an extremely iterative company. Patek, however, does not feel nearly as iterative. I cannot tell if this is a recent phenomena, or whether Patek has always been nonrepetitive.

I am a Patek fan but I am also a difficult customer of Patek. I love their watches, and the brand is very impressive, but I am not an unabashed fanboy who believes Patek takes no missteps.

I think you make a great point about drop culture. There is a lot to unpack there that I need to think through, but my gut reaction is that it will inevitably lead to watches becoming truly obsolete and purely jewelry. That means improvements in timekeeping will become meaningless and decoration will carry more weight. So brands like Gronefeld and Rehxep Rexhepi should actually rise to the top due to their exclusivity and jewel-like finishing and brands like Rolex and Patek even will eventually lose prestige (but have a long runway due to trends and history). FPJ is an early beneficiary. For in-demand jewelrylike brands, limited editions are already pre-sold and this trend has no indication of subsiding. The traditional jewelry brands are already making significant inroads considering the Bulgari Octo Finissimo line and the Chopard Alpine Eagle line. Both beautiful designs regardless of the Rolex/Patek naysayers.

I wonder if Patek is on the right trajectory making what I would consider less attractive versions of past watches in many cases. Just my 2 cents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads