• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pmeis

Reaction score
I've recently done a 180 on my ideas on WR in general, or maybe more accurately I've done a full 360 back to when I first started collecting. When I first started I didn't really care and routinely had a 3atm of some sort on the wrist. Then at some point I became convinced that without 10atm I was destined for some catastrophic failure in a life where the most adventurous thing I'd do was taking my dog out for a walk. Every watch I owned for like 5 years was at least 10atm wr.

I've finally came back around in realizing that I was missing out on a lot of cool stuff. I'll still take off my Grand Seiko or Armin Strom when bathing the kiddo, but that's almost more about not wanting to get the leather straps wet as much as anything else.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I still prefer the piece of mind from a screw-down crown. I think there's a TWSS joke forming in that sentence somewhere. :-D

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prefer a screw-down crown if it's an automatic and a sport/dive/field watch. If it's manual wind, I'd rather do without the 100M water resistance. I have a manual wind watch with 100M WR where the winding is almost painful at times. I'm 90% sure that it's due to the gaskets at the crown.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Prefer a screw-down crown if it's an automatic and a sport/dive/field watch. If it's manual wind, I'd rather do without the 100M water resistance. I have a manual wind watch with 100M WR where the winding is almost painful at times. I'm 90% sure that it's due to the gaskets at the crown.

A screw-down crown with a manual movement????? That is just silliness.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what's your beef with the speedy? just that if you accidentally push the pushers you're inviting danger? or is it something else?

I just wish the WR was a little higher for a daily wearer. The new ones, with the METAS certification, I would feel more comfortable with.

I actually thought the 1861 speedmaster was WR to 3 bar, not 5 bar, so I kind of take back my comment. I will stick with my comment re: the 5226.

pmeis

Reaction score

I don't think this is specifically related to the 100m WR, the manual wound NOMOS Club and Tangente Sport I've owned wound fairly similar to my other lower WR watches.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m sure this has been discussed, but I’m wondering how heretical it would be to opt for the Tank LC with quartz vs mechanical? I really like the yellow gold and think it might be nice to have a watch that - given it won’t be a daily and I like it primarily for its design - is just always going and enables a much wider service interval. Or… should I just get the mechanical in rose because, well, because it’s just a better movement? Thoughts?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just wish the WR was a little higher for a daily wearer. The new ones, with the METAS certification, I would feel more comfortable with.

I actually thought the 1861 speedmaster was WR to 3 bar, not 5 bar, so I kind of take back my comment. I will stick with my comment re: the 5226.
My JLC MC Date is only 5 Bar but it's a dress watch on a leather band. I would never wash dishes or do anything more than walk in the rain with it. Also, JLC just raised the price by $1k for that watch! Glad a bought it a few months ago!

I do find it somewhat crazy the Speedy is also 5 Bar, though. I googled pics of astronauts in the giant underwater training tank in Houston and they were NOT wearing their Speedys as far as I could tell.

"In space, no once can hear you...get wet?"

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Muhle-Glashutte makes an interesting Moonphase. More sporty than dressy.

Capture.JPG

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m sure this has been discussed, but I’m wondering how heretical it would be to opt for the Tank LC with quartz vs mechanical? I really like the yellow gold and think it might be nice to have a watch that - given it won’t be a daily and I like it primarily for its design - is just always going and enables a much wider service interval. Or… should I just get the mechanical in rose because, well, because it’s just a better movement? Thoughts?
Not going to weigh in on this specific question, but will share that I prefer a manual wind for my dress watch for the exact reason you mentioned. I wind it every day, so that it's ready when I need it to be. Then again, is it really that hard to set an automatic dress watch when you decide to wear it?

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not going to weigh in on this specific question, but will share that I prefer a manual wind for my dress watch for the exact reason you mentioned. I wind it every day, so that it's ready when I need it to be. Then again, is it really that hard to set an automatic dress watch when you decide to wear it?

Narrow margins of difference are the backbone of this thread, though, so...yeah?

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking seriously of a picking up a Patek 5205G in the original two-tone silver dial recently. And it got me thinking about the overall direction of Patek as a brand. Personally, the 5205 and its brethren are for me the best recent Patek watches. They are modern yet timeless versions to me of what a Patek watch should be. Whereas watches that use the 96 style case or Breguet numerals, while beautiful, are uninteresting (having owned one that feature both). Same goes for a classic minute repeater. I'd rather have a futuristic JLC minute repeater similar in aesthetic to that JLC chrono another member posted a few pages back.

I think with some of the more recent Patek models like the 5522, 5226, or 6007, they've done OK, but none really feel like a truly modern version of a Patek to me. The 5226 is such a mishmash especially with that Clous de Paris midband. It's like Patek merged elements of the AP Code 11:59 (the octagon midband) with Hamilton numerals (joking, but not joking?).

Would appreciate thoughts from @Newcomer or any other Patek fans or owners. I think I can piece together where Foo will come out given his previous posting so no need to flame me, bud.

I don't think this same criticism applies to Rolex who unapologetically makes tiny changes year after year to great fanfare and lament.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads