• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, something of a thought exercise - and one that I have not fully considered.

What is the next watch that you are planning to buy?

What is the watch that you would buy next if the market looked, say, how it looked 10 years ago?

I'll play:

Next watch, a Panerai PAM510. A friend who works at Hodinkee is looking for a mint one for me with B&P.

Time machine purchase: Rolex Daytona, SS, white face

PS: I've pretty much worn an early 90's SS Sub daily since '94. I traded a 1959 Gretsch 6119 guitar for it.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar that

Yes they are. Although from a purely financial perspective the Sub is worth more than 2X the value of the vintage Gretsch even though both watches and vintage guitars have seen a huge rise in value in the last few years. When I did the trade, they were pretty much even.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. What about opinions on whether or not it's aesthetically a good idea?

Well, aesthetics are very personal. While the design works, it isn't my first choice. However, I tend to favor dark dials anyway. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide!

montecristo#2

Reaction score
Who needs a Daytona?

7ECFBC06-DBB0-4DC5-A00E-7924DB810218.jpeg

Breguet XX flyback chronograph limited blue violet dial edition — new ABP strap made from Bastin leather used on the soles of JM Weston shoes.

pmeis

Reaction score
Left of field: any hifi forums you’d recommend. Rather behind.

I’m in the industry. My $0.02. Buy the nicest pair of speakers you can buy, definitely no more than $10k pair, a lot of really great stuff at $2k and nice stuff around $1k and and a reasonably priced amplifier with adequate power to drive them. Most everything higher price levels is buying with your eyes. There is a huge law of diminishing returns going with audio equipment…way worse than watches.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I particularly like the "mainstream luxury" vs "connoisseur lux" breakdown...

Look forward to watching this. I like Adrian's videos (also, he seems like a really decent guy).

My one bugaboo: I always find the emphasis on Roger Smith to be a little odd. What he is doing is very, very cool. However, the imperfections in the watches kind of drive me crazy.

Lovely watches, and I appreciate his perspective, but I find it a pretty niche product.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look forward to watching this. I like Adrian's videos (also, he seems like a really decent guy).

My one bugaboo: I always find the emphasis on Roger Smith to be a little odd. What he is doing is very, very cool. However, the imperfections in the watches kind of drive me crazy.

Lovely watches, and I appreciate his perspective, but I find it a pretty niche product.

Adrian defines his own concept of "luxury" in part by how niche the product (and leaves open the idea that will mean different things to different people, etc...)

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll add my 2 cents.

Original Porsche Design Driver's chronograph from the mid 70s. Valjoux 7750 movement. It has lots of... Uh, patina?

I was gonna send it to superior watch in NYC a decade ago. Was $650 to restore. I was lazy. It's now close to a grand for the job. Meh, just wear it.

Paid $125 for it at an estate liquidator in like 2000 or so.
20201117_155530.jpg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll add my 2 cents.

Original Porsche Design Driver's chronograph from the mid 70s. Valjoux 7750 movement. It has lots of... Uh, patina?

I was gonna send it to superior watch in NYC a decade ago. Was $650 to restore. I was lazy. It's now close to a grand for the job. Meh, just wear it.

Paid $125 for it at an estate liquidator in like 2000 or so.
View attachment 1808686

That thing is thrashed. I love it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads