• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need some advice on what is possible - thinking about buying the blue bezel/silver face santos because I love the textured face and lumed hands, and then doing a swap to a standard bezel.

What do people think of this makeup? Is that possible/do-able?

Here's my quick mock-up:
Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 1.58.51 PM.png

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, something of a thought exercise - and one that I have not fully considered.

What is the next watch that you are planning to buy?

What is the watch that you would buy next if the market looked, say, how it looked 10 years ago?

I’ll play. Considering 5960P vs VC Malte Perpetual Calendar Chronograph — debating if I must wait and let 1815 Chrono come back to reasonable pricing as it used to be.

about pieces I could have / should have ..
5170P - loved it when I couldn’t afford it then but now price is north of what I am willing to pay.
& of course the 1815 Chronograph.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really good timing (luck) in terms of stock options when I switched jobs 9 years ago. That coupled with little or no lifestyle inflation. My wife and I are both fairly frugal/conservative spenders (e.g., I wouldn’t have even considered a Rolex before I made my first million and I doubt I would ever spend more that $15k or so on a watch). I also believe that the only point of work is to make money to live. I have no part of my self worth that is propped up by having a job, so as soon as we had enough it was time to quit working.

Life hack right there. Congratulations.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really good timing (luck) in terms of stock options when I switched jobs 9 years ago. That coupled with little or no lifestyle inflation. My wife and I are both fairly frugal/conservative spenders (e.g., I wouldn’t have even considered a Rolex before I made my first million and I doubt I would ever spend more that $15k or so on a watch). I also believe that the only point of work is to make money to live. I have no part of my self worth that is propped up by having a job, so as soon as we had enough it was time to quit working.

Looking at early retirement myself to join my wife, maybe I shouldn't be buying expensive watches :embar:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dang, that is awesome. My goal is 60, with the caveat that I will probably taper down significantly after 55.

Enjoy retirement. If you don't mind sharing, how do you plan to spend your time?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll play. Considering 5960P vs VC Malte Perpetual Calendar Chronograph — debating if I must wait and let 1815 Chrono come back to reasonable pricing as it used to be.

about pieces I could have / should have ..
5170P - loved it when I couldn’t afford it then but now price is north of what I am willing to pay.
& of course the 1815 Chronograph.

I realized, today, that the current state of the market, which has persisted for years, has permanently warped my watch collecting.

For my next watch, I imagine it will be another Rolex SS model.

My next watch if the market was not as it is now - an AP 16202. However, an AP 16202 is not even on my radar right now with the current state of the market - given it is sitting at $150k+. Pretty sad how many are already available on the second-hand market.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realized, today, that the current state of the market, which has persisted for years, has permanently warped my watch collecting.

For my next watch, I imagine it will be another Rolex SS model.

My next watch if the market was not as it is now - an AP 16202. However, an AP 16202 is not even on my radar right now with the current state of the market - given it is sitting at $150k+. Pretty sad how many are already available on the second-hand market.

Every boom is followed by a bust. We wait on our cash flow and the bust will come back. There is no reason to pay 4x prices on AP/PP. They are the crypto of mechanical watches right now.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From your lips to God’s ears!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some advice on what is possible - thinking about buying the blue bezel/silver face santos because I love the textured face and lumed hands, and then doing a swap to a standard bezel.

What do people think of this makeup? Is that possible/do-able?

Here's my quick mock-up:
View attachment 1808418
When you ask is it possible, do you mean buy the blue PVD Santos and then buy a steel bezel and swap the steel bezel for the blue PVD bezel? If so, that's unlikely. I don't think they will sell you a steel bezel to swap out. If you are talking about a custom piece, call your local Cartier boutique, inquire, and then let us know what they say.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads