• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Say what you want about "Richemont trash" (and my tiny, hairy wrist and my picture-taking abilities) but I just got my first luxury watch, a watch I have wanted since before I even got into watches, a historic, iconic watch and one of my favourites, and I am currently ecstatic about it.

View attachment 1808157

Great choice! Congrats on your first luxury watch! I love my Santos. It's very comfortable, gets lots of wrist time, and is very versatile with the "Quickswitch" bracelet/strap system. Wishing you many years of enjoyment from your new watch. :cheers:

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How far can you push the Cartier custom stuff? Could you ask for a crash? :)

My friend has $ in spend with them and said I could use him to place an order.

A Santos with a linen dial would be really cool too

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say what you want about "Richemont trash" (and my tiny, hairy wrist and my picture-taking abilities) but I just got my first luxury watch, a watch I have wanted since before I even got into watches, a historic, iconic watch and one of my favourites, and I am currently ecstatic about it.

View attachment 1808157

To echo Dino's comments, congratulations! You cannot go wrong with a Cartier Santos. I hope it brings you tons of joy!

Great picture, the Speedmaster is of course unimpeachable.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wei Koh did a custom Crash so it can be done. Who knows on the price though.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They make only so many custom Crashes per year (I think you can count with one or two hands). So, unless your friend has $$$$ in spend with them, they likely will not allocate you a Crash. Particularly, a London Crash.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, something of a thought exercise - and one that I have not fully considered.

What is the next watch that you are planning to buy?

What is the watch that you would buy next if the market looked, say, how it looked 10 years ago?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What is the watch that you would buy next if the market looked, say, how it looked 10 years ago?
I'm waiting on the fall releases from Omega to see if there's a Planet Ocean update or a GMT released. If nothing happens in those lines then most likely a Cartier in 2023 (Tank Cintree hopefully).

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, you could certainly ask them to make a Crash (different than the "standard model"). They will probably agree to do it, unless you ask them to do something really crazy that doesn't meet with what they view as Cartier design aesthetics (see the article that I believe Texasmade posted recently). The other issues are simply the cost and being prepared to wait a year or more. Still, having some input on a custom watch could be a lot of fun.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spoke to a collector recently who ordered a London Crash 3 years ago and still has not received it. And that person ordered it LONG before the hype.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I retired earlier this year, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I really could be a one-watch guy. I’ve worn my Sub about 98% of the time this year. So I really have little inspiration for anything new. At this point, my next watch will probably be a DJ or DD when I turn 50 in 4 1/2 years.

if you rolled back the market to earlier days, I would definitely be looking hard at an Explorer 1016. I almost bought one when they were routinely going for $10-11k but I just couldn’t pull the trigger. I’d be happy to pay that now.

or I’d love to get a two-tone root beer GMT at retail price

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I retired earlier this year, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I really could be a one-watch guy. I’ve worn my Sub about 98% of the time this year. So I really have little inspiration for anything new. At this point, my next watch will probably be a DJ or DD when I turn 50 in 4 1/2 years.

if you rolled back the market to earlier days, I would definitely be looking hard at an Explorer 1016. I almost bought one when they were routinely going for $10-11k but I just couldn’t pull the trigger. I’d be happy to pay that now.

or I’d love to get a two-tone root beer GMT at retail price

You retired at 46!

How did you swing that?!

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You retired at 46!

How did you swing that?!

Really good timing (luck) in terms of stock options when I switched jobs 9 years ago. That coupled with little or no lifestyle inflation. My wife and I are both fairly frugal/conservative spenders (e.g., I wouldn’t have even considered a Rolex before I made my first million and I doubt I would ever spend more that $15k or so on a watch). I also believe that the only point of work is to make money to live. I have no part of my self worth that is propped up by having a job, so as soon as we had enough it was time to quit working.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads