• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, apropos of nothing, another true grail:

patek_6997371.jpg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am waiting a bit to see if used prices tank, in which case I'll buy up all the pieces I've wanted but previously felt were overpriced. My original plan was to go for a Logical1 this quarter but with everything tanking, I think I'll wait to see if I can find one used at a good price. My assumption is that a lot of independents come down in pricing significantly on the used market and the mainstream stuff comes off the highs too?
Had this discussion in the crypto crash a few years back with a chap managing a fairly large mainland Chinese family office (a few billion, although as usual in Southeast Asia, any quoted numbers should be taken with a pinch of salt/divided by 10 - still, large offices, team of 20 Goldman types, etc. so looked legit). He had significant experience with alternative assets and a good chunk of the fund was allocated to art, wine, cars, musical instruments etc.

His POV was that there was a ratchet mechanism on prices in the sense that these markets tend not to crash, not officially; rather you get a months long liquidity hole until the next bubble. He was proven right as Rolex (and Bordeaux) prices continued to increase on the grey market pretty much until today. You can also see it on the NFT market now where since December prices have stopped rising, but nobody is selling their "priceless" (literally) collection in fear of finding it worth several orders of magnitude less. I could venture a number of explanations; my hunch is the global middle class is growing on a background of inflationary money policy that no government can really stop at this point so that particular market simply waits out the next bubble and sells into it, if indeed they want to sell in the first place.

My takeaway was to buy what you like and not worry too much about the sticker price or timing.

I also read an interesting paper about limit orders vs buying at market - broadly the paper showed that they were economically equivalent as over time the missed opportunities made up for any advantage from being filled at a better price. Perhaps there are some similarities.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always take up our in-common tailor on a coffee and a beer. Typically in that order.

I desperately need to get back to Chicago. I still have 2 in-progress items. Pandemic really put a damper on traveling...
Yep, first a coffee. Then usually a Zombie Dust.

Two. That’s very Richemont of you. 😛
I have five in the works (but two are vests).

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, first a coffee. Then usually a Zombie Dust.

Two. That’s very Richemont of you. 😛
I have five in the works (but two are vests).
He’s no longer in Chicago...(one of my tailors too...)

At least he closed his showroom on Oak. I heard he might be working in Indiana now?

Edit: Think I meant to reply to @Newcomer...

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CD isn’t in Chicago anymore?

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious if any of you good people have changed any of your watch-related “plans” and/or general attitudes about the “hobby” as a direct result of present bleak conditions in financial markets, geo-politics, domestic horror (Americans), etc...?

For example, I had been on a this-and-then-this-and-then-this sort of collection building mission that lately seems...pretty lame (it was always trivial, but the mood has maybe turned?). I don’t know...
Collection building stopped a longtime ago, more about can I bear to part with any? Have several ‘Hot’ watches that the market would eat up at ridiculous profit to me - do I want to go there for a quick buck? Not really. However, definitely for some, the time has come. As to actively doing anything about it…
I suppose the collection building statement wasn’t entirely true, there are 2 or 3 I’m considering/would like.
🤷‍♂️

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Original, beautiful and works better on the right wrist with that subdial. Thanks for the post!

@chocomallo your fav brand

Your observations are absolutely on the mark. I have been smitten by Chopard's craftsmanship for a while.. they are a well kept swiss secret IMO. Not for long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads