• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious if any of you good people have changed any of your watch-related “plans” and/or general attitudes about the “hobby” as a direct result of present bleak conditions in financial markets, geo-politics, domestic horror (Americans), etc...?

I am waiting a bit to see if used prices tank, in which case I'll buy up all the pieces I've wanted but previously felt were overpriced. My original plan was to go for a Logical1 this quarter but with everything tanking, I think I'll wait to see if I can find one used at a good price. My assumption is that a lot of independents come down in pricing significantly on the used market and the mainstream stuff comes off the highs too?

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I have my first in-person court hearing since Covid. I’m dusting off my PP 5170 since it is what I use with business suits. Caffeine provided by Sump Coffee.
14CC7B43-282B-459E-879C-06FA57C43ADC.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I have my first in-person court hearing since Covid. I’m dusting off my PP 5170 since it is what I use with business suits. Caffeine provided by Sump Coffee.
View attachment 1796758
Linen dress shirt under wool hopsack jacket? Very professional look.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen dress shirt under wool hopsack jacket? Very professional look.
No, no, no. I am well versed in the FNB v. Vox debate on hopsack suits. The suit is not hopsack but rather made from the fabulous (but lamentably discontinued) Rangoon bunch. In my opinion it is the best summer business suit fabric. I am awaiting a length of the new LL summer suiting so we’ll see if that opinion changes.

You are correct on the shirting. It is Carlo Riva Lino Arsenal which is a linen-cotton blend.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the Richemont bois drink simp coffee.
That’s very funny. I like it.

BTW, if you ever took up our in-common tailor on his coffee offer, you may have had Sump. I bought him a few bags and he then started by-mail delivery of Sump.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s very funny. I like it.

BTW, if you ever took up our in-common tailor on his coffee offer, you may have had Sump. I bought him a few bags and he then started by-mail delivery of Sump.

I always take up our in-common tailor on a coffee and a beer. Typically in that order.

I desperately need to get back to Chicago. I still have 2 in-progress items. Pandemic really put a damper on traveling...

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What independents is everyone watching?

I've said this before, but I remain obsessed with KV - and I am curious to see what he does with UJ.

With the exception of Journe, perhaps, who is going in a very different direction, I think KV is just doing it the best. He is a legitimate businessman, and he has a legitimate claim to being the independent who does the most work under his umbrella. He has a permanent workshop, he keeps production capped at 60 some odd watches, he does everything except the hairspring in-house, there is a massive amount of customization, he is involved with another brand, UJ, where he can do more mass-market (but still high-end) stuff, Comblemine, his dial manufacture, creates dials for any number of brands (including Japanese darling Kikuchi Nakagawa), and he has a legitimate succession plan. Certainly, he is not doing the most cutting edge work, and his finishing is top-notch but there may be some brands that are surpassing him (RR). But the way that he has expanded his business is extremely impressive.

Plus, he makes (what in my opinion) is a top 3 watch for me:

Night sky rose gold (2).jpg

As for what people I am keeping track of... Raul Pages, Peterman Bedat, and RR (obviously). I am curious to see what Josh Shapiro comes out with.

Finally, I think my tendency towards KV is also spurred by this new wave of independents who don't really do that much. I am very disillusioned by such persons like, say, any of the Japanese Independents, and a lot of people who have popped out of nowhere. I think I would need to visit the actual studio to see what was really being made...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took half day off work to prep for London trip. Jaeger meets Heifeweissen. AD couldn’t come up with black strap. How is that possible after 12 weeks? Will stop by London boutique hoping they have one. Otherwise it’s Submariner with Tux.

1895F71C-DBB3-41C5-B548-658EF18FAB80.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics