• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't wear Nato straps anymore to protest their unprovoked aggression against the peace-loving Russian Federation.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you’re Sean Connery, NATO straps are douche alerts.
Admit it, you just can't get them tight enough to satisfy your wrist choking fetish.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing a NATO strap is a lot like wearing flip flops. Is it more comfortable? Maybe. Do you look more relaxed and casual? Sure. Good for summer? Some would say. Are you also telegraphing that you’re a disgusting poor that earns less than $1 million a year and sends your kids to public school? Yup.

I bet your mini van ain’t even bubble gum blue. Gross.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General reply to everyone that chipped in on my "dilemma". Thank you, btw.

I went in and tried it on and made the purchase.

A few interesting things happened. They would not allow me to purchase over the phone. They insisted on removing all the plastic, protective film and tags from the watch. They insisted on sizing the bracelet to my wrist. I inquired if this was all in an effort to discourage an immediate flip to grey dealer and they acknowledged it was. Not sure that this really would discourage anyone to do so, but it is their policy.

We had a discussion about the current state of affairs with Rolex. The manager acknowledged the frustration that many first time buyers where experiencing and indicated that it is market reality not soon to abate (btw, their case was reasonably well stocked with with samples that could not be purchased - Batman, two tone Daytona, Sub). They did indicate that they do not play the quid pro quo game and would never "request" that a person make other purchases to get on a list. We talked about my specific case - although I have purchased from them in the past, I am no where near what they would consider a big fish. I was told that if that had been the criteria that I would not have passed (watches bring in the big fish, but jewelry is their bread and butter...I've never purchased any jewelry from them). They took into account:
  • Loyalty/purchase history over time (I've purchased 4 watches from them since 2012....so not a tremendous pace)
  • Proximity (they won't sell Rolex to out of towners or vacationers)
  • Likelihood of keeping the watch (not sure how they assess this)
  • Likelihood to promote the store to friends/colleagues in local community (not sure how they assess this either)
Not sure sure that these criteria are necessarily cogent, but it got me through the process. The general area is full of well heeled and loaded individuals, so it clearly was not determined by absolute amount of $$$ spend. The store manager was around for my last purchase last fall (Cartier Santos), but had no personal connection with me prior to our conversation.

In any event.... View attachment 1795288

The no phone purchase is a decades old Rolex rule. I ran into that back in 2004. They said, Rolex jewelers are supposed to purchase the watch in person, not over the phone from several states away. They didn't want them selling outside of "Their territory." I got that explanation when I called Rolex in NY to verify the no phone purchase issue. The removing all the protective film and sizing the watch are newer policies. I encountered that back in 2019, when I purchased an Explorer 2. It wasn't the policy back when I got my Batman in 2015.

Most importantly, the watch looks great! Congrats and enjoy it!!! :cheers:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this was posted here already or not, but this was a good quick read about an everyman who wound up with a Tiffany stamped 5711 and wore the **** out of it.

I like how the dude was like: "I wore it everywhere...I never took it off my wrist....I did everything in that watch...except once AT A WATCH EVENT when I put it in my packet and it was stolen..."

I don't know, man. Sounds like a bit of a fairy tale...dude sold the watch...haha....

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like how the dude was like: "I wore it everywhere...I never took it off my wrist....I did everything in that watch...except once AT A WATCH EVENT when I put it in my packet and it was stolen..."

I don't know, man. Sounds like a bit of a fairy tale...dude sold the watch...haha....

Dear penthhouse...

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

could very well be, at the very least I hope it was properly insured

hysteria

Reaction score
Where do you folks like to go for reliable, used watches?
I'm not a deep-dive watch enthusiast, but I do keep up somewhat at a relatively superficial level.

There are two watches that I'm really interested in as a primary starting point: Longine Heritage Sector (black dial) and Grand Seiko Snowflake.

I think the Longine makes most sense for me to start with because the size is less likely to be an issue and costs half the price of the Seiko, but I"m wondering if I could get a better deal on a lightly used version. Where would you look?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do you folks like to go for reliable, used watches?
I'm not a deep-dive watch enthusiast, but I do keep up somewhat at a relatively superficial level.

There are two watches that I'm really interested in as a primary starting point: Longine Heritage Sector (black dial) and Grand Seiko Snowflake.

I think the Longine makes most sense for me to start with because the size is less likely to be an issue and costs half the price of the Seiko, but I"m wondering if I could get a better deal on a lightly used version. Where would you look?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads