• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not understand why it is taboo to say that Patek's philosophy, at least under Thierry's watch, is less traditional, and more casual, than it was under the watch of Thierry's predecessors. Ultimately, I think this may be Thierry's legacy on Patek. And you cannot say his stewardship is not impressive - I do not know if Patek has ever been so popular.

Also, it does not seem to be a stretch to say that the 5226 is out of the ordinary. If you read 100 articles on the 5226, I feel like all 100 of them will note that the 5226 is a departure from Patek's norm.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not understand why it is taboo to say that Patek's philosophy, at least under Thierry's watch, is less traditional, and more casual, than it was under the watch of Thierry's predecessors. Ultimately, I think this may be Thierry's legacy on Patek. And you cannot say his stewardship is not impressive - I do not know if Patek has ever been so popular.

Also, it does not seem to be a stretch to say that the 5226 is out of the ordinary. If you read 100 articles on the 5226, I feel like all 100 of them will note that the 5226 is a departure from Patek's norm.
My guess is that some romanticize (and desire) the pedigree more than the actual watches. That pedigree must be protected at all costs?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I think it's natural for them to move in a more casual direction, as society has been doing that for years. It became even more casual with Covid/lockdowns and people spending more time at home to work or relax. Years ago a friend who works at an AD for Panerai, IWC, Cartier, Breguet, Tudor, Grand Seiko, UN, (they used to carry VC too) said they struggle to sell gold dress watches, most people are buying steel sports watches. Most friends who aren't lawyers only have 1 suit in their closet these days.

As for Patek's tremendous popularity, I'm not sure it's due to Thierry or at best Thierry and a bunch of other factors such as the amazing rise of social medial, influencers, production decreases during Covid and remaining supply shortages, and people looking for places to invest their funds. Other bands like AP, Rolex, and VCs (Overseas models) have also never been as popular as they are today.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are Rolex case backs interchangeable within a reference? (No serial number on the inner case back?)

Thanks!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's for me to know, and you to guess.

My guess is that some romanticize (and desire) the pedigree more than the actual watches. That pedigree must be protected at all costs?

Maybe? Watch dudes are pretty crazy.

Well I think it's natural for them to move in a more casual direction, as society has been doing that for years. It became even more casual with Covid/lockdowns and people spending more time at home to work or relax. Years ago a friend who works at an AD for Panerai, IWC, Cartier, Breguet, Tudor, Grand Seiko, UN, (they used to carry VC too) said they struggle to sell gold dress watches, most people are buying steel sports watches. Most friends who aren't lawyers only have 1 suit in their closet these days.

As for Patek's tremendous popularity, I'm not sure it's due to Thierry or at best Thierry and a bunch of other factors such as the amazing rise of social medial, influencers, production decreases during Covid and remaining supply shortages, and people looking for places to invest their funds. Other bands like AP, Rolex, and VCs (Overseas models) have also never been as popular as they are today.

By no means am I saying that Thierry turned water into wine. But PP and Rolex are doing unprecedentedly well. But I have to give some credit where credit is due.

I think it will be interesting to see Patek's move to more casual pieces. Personally, I believe this move started in earnest with the 6007A, and I think that it represents a real shift in the brand. I've started writing a post about this, which I may get around to finishing at some point.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's for me to know, and you to guess.

Maybe? Watch dudes are pretty crazy.

By no means am I saying that Thierry turned water into wine. But PP and Rolex are doing unprecedentedly well. But I have to give some credit where credit is due.

I think it will be interesting to see Patek's move to more casual pieces. Personally, I believe this move started in earnest with the 6007A, and I think that it represents a real shift in the brand. I've started writing a post about this, which I may get around to finishing at some point.
A Buscemi for you and a DJ to celebrate/gift your new family member?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are Rolex case backs interchangeable within a reference? (No serial number on the inner case back?)

Thanks!
Case back on my Sub Date is smooth. No markings or text of any kind/

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Case back on my Sub Date is smooth. No markings or text of any kind/
Right, I m wondering about the inside...I don’t want to open mine, but wondering if there is a serial on the inner case back...if not, I’m guessing case backs are interchangeable? (Asking because I might like to add a reference variant and have an engraved caseback moved to the new watch and the new caseback moved to my current watch...)

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have we reached peak watches?

New Kendrick Lamar songcalls out AP’s head of complications:

“AP Michael Friedman, my friends cooler
Primary, so the resale value stupid”

Pretty catchy song.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s expensive to eat there
It's difficult to even get a reservation at any of the decent places. Just stick with the shriveled up burgers at Pecos Bill's. We usually go to Disney 3 or 4 times a year, and I think next time I might have to call the bank for a home equity line.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have we reached peak watches?

New Kendrick Lamar songcalls out AP’s head of complications:

“AP Michael Friedman, my friends cooler
Primary, so the resale value stupid”

Pretty catchy song.
If by peak you mean ubiquitous pop culture status, I’d say yes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads