• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A follow up point: something I see often, particularly on, say, TRF, are posters who say "I have requested 10 watches (Submariner, GMT in any variation, Daytona in any variation, Explorer, Explorer II, OP, etc.) and I will buy any that I am offered." Or even, "I was offered 'x', and I had to say yes!"

Given the current, and extreme, power imbalance, I feel there is a tendency to buy what is offered without consideration of what it is, how it fits into your collection, etc. (obviously, @officine is clearly doing the opposite of that). This tendency has put a bad taste in my mouth. I buy my watches for keeps, and very seldomly sell anything - let alone watches.

So, particularly now-a-days, I have decided to buy one watch at a time, and to do so in a sequential manner. I do not have a bunch of feelers out there, hoping that one of them hits.
Same. I’m NEVER on a list for more than one specific piece (currently have nothing requested...).

Reactions: Gus

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same. I’m NEVER on a list for more than one specific piece (currently have nothing requested...).
In the spirit of Groucho Marx, I won't join any list that anyone would consider putting me on.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally bit the bullet and slowly moving up

C822D9CA-DC48-4AD7-80B6-3DCA08FB1F4F.jpeg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
#obviousgold #obviouscomplications #dressy #couldntbeconfusedforashittyfieldwatch #whatsyourpoint #otherthanjustbeinganassholewhichhasalreadybeendulynoted

The point is that a lot of uninformed things have been said about what is historically “normal” for Patek.

There seems to be a thread-wide belief that Patek’s tradition is strictly in very dressy, formal watches or that they have historically constrained themselves to a very narrow aesthetic band. This is simply false. For example, the complicated watches, which they are best known for, have always been more casual in design (even verging on sporty). Casualizing features like applied Arabic numerals (such as in the above example) have been frequently used as well.

That’s not to say that there isn’t a palpable Patek-ness to the watches—but it tends to be exemplified by principles and proportions rather than specific details.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The point is that a lot of uninformed things have been said about what is historically “normal” for Patek.

There seems to be a thread-wide belief that Patek’s tradition is strictly in very dressy, formal watches or that they have historically constrained themselves to a very narrow aesthetic band. This is simply false. For example, the complicated watches, which they are best known for, have always been more casual in design (even verging on sporty). Casualizing features like applied Arabic numerals (such as in the above example) have been frequently used as well.

That’s not to say that there isn’t a palpable Patek-ness to the watches—but it tends to be exemplified by principles and proportions rather than specific details.

They "normally" don't look like field watches. This isn't hard...haha!

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Guys, being inauthentic is in the DNA, so these new inauthentic Pateks are actually authentically Patek..."

Love it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics