• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay, back to the nuances of watch auctions - whats the purpose of a seller/auction house listing something with 'no reserve price'?

This Patek 5711 is specifically listed as 'no reserve' but like, no one is going to walk away with it for $20K or anything like that...just trying to understand the rationale here
Yeah it's odd. The "estimate" is $40K - $80K, which is ludicrous with just a glance at the grey market.

Southeasterly

Reaction score
D856BBAB-4EE6-4F78-B551-DA4E8065A2AD.jpeg

Added my first chronograph to the collection. I know this can be a polarizing design, but I appreciate that it’s a little unusual. It wears really well, just isn’t a “one watch” type of piece. My only complaint is the strap (replacement ordered) which just doesn’t bring out the best in the dial color IMO.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my brother's Speedmaster First Omega in Space over the weekend, on the Forstner flatlink I got him for it.

I almost think it's too small for me; or at least, that the more muscular/chunky case on the Speedy Professional is more to my taste.

View attachment 1792913

Cell pics are tough to judge but it definitely isn’t too small. I feel like something smaller goes better with your style anyway.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my brother's Speedmaster First Omega in Space over the weekend, on the Forstner flatlink I got him for it.

I almost think it's too small for me; or at least, that the more muscular/chunky case on the Speedy Professional is more to my taste.

View attachment 1792913
For me it’s not the size of the Speedy Pro that wins (it wears small for 42mm) - it’s the curvaceous twisted lugs = sexy AF!

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cell pics are tough to judge but it definitely isn’t too small. I feel like something smaller goes better with your style anyway.
Yeah it looks bigger on the wrist in the pic than in real life.

For me it’s not the size of the Speedy Pro that wins (it wears small for 42mm) - it’s the curvaceous twisted lugs = sexy AF!

For me it's the opposite, I know the twisted lugs have been a speedy staple for a while but I much prefer the straight lugs of this and the Ed White

Twisted lyre lugs have ruined me for all other lug styles. I feel like much of what I like about Omega as a maker is in their somewhat more humanist or organic design tendencies, as opposed to strictly industrial. Those twisted lugs, the wave patterns, the organic shapes; heck even when they do stick hour markers like the Globemaster they do the pie pan shape, cutting into the edges. I think that's why I generally prefer Omega to Rolex, which I see as far more strictly industrial in design (maxi lugs, stick hour markers, more right-angles, and much more basic curves where they do use them).

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it looks bigger on the wrist in the pic than in real life.

Twisted lyre lugs have ruined me for all other lug styles. I feel like much of what I like about Omega as a maker is in their somewhat more humanist or organic design tendencies, as opposed to strictly industrial. Those twisted lugs, the wave patterns, the organic shapes; heck even when they do stick hour markers like the Globemaster they do the pie pan shape, cutting into the edges. I think that's why I generally prefer Omega to Rolex, which I see as far more strictly industrial in design (maxi lugs, stick hour markers, more right-angles, and much more basic curves where they do use them).
Basically.

But Rolex Daytona case also has wonderfully subtle curves (as do the DD and DJ...).

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically.

But Rolex Daytona case also has wonderfully subtle curves (as do the DD and DJ...).
that's probably why the DJ, with fluted bezel, is one of maybe 2 Rolies I'd keep if given one, and I'd just learn to deal with the fugly trifocal lens. i wish they would do the OP with a fluted bezel; basically a DJ without the date LOL.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

officine

Reaction score
About a month of wearing this almost daily...digging thoroughly:
View attachment 1791551
Nice.

So I got call from local AD today that a Pepsi GMT with my name on it had come in. I didn't even remember the request, as it was 36 months ago. In the interim I purchased a 2002 version which I'm quite satisfied with in rotation. I'm actually torn -- buy to flip, buy and sell the older version, or let someone else have the opportunity?

I asked for 24hrs to decide.

pmeis

Reaction score
And one final incoming for now (and for a long while). The Armin Strom made the Grand Seiko I have a bit irreverent. Two manually wound greyish and dressier watches were not needed, even though they were of completely different styles. With GS proliferating the base model SBGW231 into several different dial colors and treatments, I thought that since I enjoyed the watch so much, I'd try to swap it out with one of the newer, more colorful renditions. I had mentioned to my salesperson while completing the AS transaction that I'd probably be calling her on one of the newer models soon and she mentioned that they had surprisingly received a third SBGW277 after originally being told that dealers would only receive two, which have been long sold. She asked if I'd have any interest and I jumped on it.

Basically everything I loved about the one I had, but in a different color and treatment. This one is a bit rarer as they only made 140 units (this one is 136) vs the model I had which is a European exclusive. Another bad picture below (I still haven't found my camera's battery charger since the move).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads